I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Fourteen: Birthdays And Unwanted Surprises

I walked around for a while, trying to find someone. Finally I reached the cafeteria and saw Taylor sitting all alone at a table. I went over and sat next to him, resting my head on his shoulder.

“Hey.” He greeted, smiling at me.

“Hey.” I greeted back.

“What’s up?” He asked.

“Nothing-Jackson’s present came today.” I said, barely able to contain my smile.

“What’d you get him?” He asked.

“That guitar he wanted.” I said, looking around.

“They’re doing a Cullen scene.” He said. “Is that why Ashley got him the amp?” He asked. I nodded.

“She and I had talked about it like two weeks ago.” I said.

“That’s rad.” He said. I nodded. “When are you giving it to him?” He asked. I shrugged.

“I dunno.” I said honestly. I had been thinking about that for two weeks.

“I think you should do it the same way he did yours.” He suggested. “But that’s just my opinion.” He added hastily.

“You mean leave it in the library for him to find?” I clarified. He nodded. “Oh, Taylor-you’re a genius!” I exclaimed, hugging him. “Will you help me?” I asked. He chuckled and hugged me back.

“Of course.” I kissed his cheek.

“Thank you.”

I hung out with Taylor the entire day because everyone else was filming off set. Which means I didn’t get to see Jackson all day. Taylor helped me plan out the next day so Jackson would find his present before he found me and after he got his other presents. They would probably do that before they left in the morning.

Taylor would distract Jackson while I put the guitar in the library and then I would hide while he looked for me.

Finally Taylor and I got bored at the set so we went back to my place and he watched as I made cupcakes for everyone.

“You should go into baking, or be a chef.” Taylor laughed as he stole an extra cupcake. I just smiled. I had thought about it.

The next day I took extra care in my appearance and got everything ready to go. I straightened my hair, lined my eyes with my dark blue eyeliner, put the cupcakes in their special holders so the frosting wouldn’t mush and carried everything out to my car. Rob met me at the gate, pecked my cheek and I handed him the cupcakes. He got me inside the gate with yet another new guard who was ready to stop me. I text Taylor and told him to keep Jackson away from the library building. He text back his ok and I hurried to the library and got the guitar set up.

I skipped through the building and to a random girl’s bathroom and text Taylor, letting him know that everything was a go.

I waited five minutes before leaving the bathroom and pretended to walk around aimlessly. My phone buzzed and the ID said Jackson. I answered, bemused.

“Hello?”

“Where are you?” He demanded. I looked around but there was no easy landmark.

“I don’t know.” I said honestly. “Somewhere in the school.” I answered. I heard the click that meant he had hung up. “Well, fine then.” I muttered. I had only taken a few steps before someone spun me around from behind and hugged me tightly, burying their face in my neck. The familiar flash of heat soared through me, as it always did with Jackson’s touch. I hugged him back.

“You are completely crazy.” He sighed, his lips brushing my neck.

“Why’s that?” I asked calmly, but my heart was racing and it felt like I wasn’t breathing at all.

“You got me a freaking guitar.” He breathed, his warm breath washing over my neck giving me goose bumps.

“You wanted it.” I reasoned. He stepped back and looked at me. He just shook his head and stepped closer.

“What if I had asked for a million dollars?” He asked.

“If I had it-I’d have given it to you.” I said quietly.

“What about if I asked for a llama?” He pressed.

“I’d do my best.” I said even more quietly. He took another small step closer.

“So-anything I want-you’d give me?” He laughed lightly.

“Basically.” I admitted.

“Can I have just one more birthday present?” He asked softly, his face inches from mine. I was pretty sure I knew where this was headed and my heart was pounding.

“Of course.” I said breathlessly.

“Come to dinner with me tonight?” He requested. I blinked, my brain slow to catch up. This wasn’t what I was expecting, but I was ok with this alternative.

“Of course.” I said again, my heart slowing back to normal. He grinned.

“Good.” He led me towards the cafeteria.

“Do you like your guitar?” I asked quietly after a few minutes. He squeezed my hand and kissed the back of it.

“I love it.” He smiled at me. I bumped into him and we continued to the cafeteria in comfortable silence.

I left early to get ready for dinner. Jackson had walked me to my car and I desperately wished he would kiss me. I even hesitated outside my car, leaning into him, even though it was freezing out. He just held open my door for me to get in. I sighed, maybe after dinner tonight. I hope!

By the time he arrived I had been waiting nervously for half an hour. We walked out to his car and he held my door open for me. I carefully slid in and clicked on my seat belt. He got in and started driving.

The restaurant wasn’t too fancy, which I was glad for. We got a table for two and he held my chair out for me to sit in. He took his place across from me as the waitress tried to flirt with Jackson as we ordered our drinks. He just held my gaze like she wasn’t even there. I felt my cheeks get warm, but I couldn’t make myself look away from his lusciously green eyes. The waitress walked away and I looked at him for a long minute.

“Why’d you ask me?” I asked quietly.

“What?”

“Why’d you ask me to dinner?” I repeated. He reached across the small table and took my hands in his.

“Because I love…being with you. I love your company. It’s so incredibly easy to be myself around you. I could spend every second of forever with you and it still wouldn’t be long enough.” He said. My face turned bright red and I dropped my gaze in embarrassment to the glossy wood of the table. He just chuckled.

Dinner was perfect. Could this guy get anymore amazing? I was very disappointed when dinner came to an end-that meant that I would have to leave him. He paid before I had the chance and helped me into my jacket. He led me out to his car and once again held my door open for me. I climbed inside silently and watched him walk gracefully to the driver’s side. He started the car and looked at me, not making a move to start driving. I looked at him to ask what was wrong, but his look stopped me.

“Thank you.” He said softly, taking my hand.

“For what?” I asked, confused.

“For giving me the best birthday present ever.” He whispered.

“And which one was that?” I asked breathlessly.

“Coming to dinner with me.” He said and my face flushed instantly. He traced a soft line down my cheek bone and to the corner of my lips. I felt heat pool where ever his finger touched. He grinned at the effect his touch had.

“I love when you do that.” He whispered. I bit my lip, fighting an embarrassed smile.

“You’re completely crazy.” I muttered. He just smirked at me and kissed the palm of my hand before he finally started driving to my house. He pulled up in front and walked me to the door. I paused outside, praying he’d get the hint and just kiss me already.

He hesitated before hugging me tightly and kissing my cheek. I blew out a small sigh as he let go. He paused again before lightly kissing my lips and jogging back to his car.

I stood there, frozen on the porch, my lips tingling. I lightly touched my lips as he sped away before I rushed inside and up to my room. I quickly changed and climbed into bed, burying my face in my pillow.

A few minutes later there was a soft knock on my door as Kevin poked his head in.

“Hey, kid.” He greeted.

“Hi, Kevin.” I returned, my voice muffled by my pillow.

“Listen, I’ve got something to tell you.” He started, sitting on the edge of my bed.

“Uh-oh.” I chuckled.

“Yeah-well, you remember Mollie, right?” He asked. Mollie Heiser was Kevin’s niece. She was pretty cool, and just a few years younger than me, probably around Taylor’s age.

“Sure, why?” I asked, rolling over to look at him.

“Well, her parents, that would be my brother and sister-in-law, are getting divorced.” He said.

“That’s not cool.” I said sadly.

“Yeah, so I offered to have her come stay here for Christmas and New Years while they figure stuff out so she’s not in the middle.” He said. I nodded.

“That’s cool.” I said.

“She gets here the day after tomorrow.” He said.

“Aiight.” He chuckled.

“You’re such a good kid.” He sighed, kissing my forehead. “Get some rest.” He said softly. I nodded, closing my eyes, suddenly very tired.

I woke up the next day a little late and got ready as quick as I could, but my back was already killing me. I must have slept on it wrong.

I reached the set and headed straight for the library. If anyone really needed me-they would know where to find me. I got the Count of Monte Cristo book and laid gingerly on the hard table, hoping it would help my back. I read for about three hours before I had to go to the bathroom. I groaned as I rolled off the table. I walked carefully to the nearest bathroom and did my business. I stepped out the door to see three people in front of me. I froze and reached back for the door to disappear inside but it slammed loudly making all three guys turn and look at me.

“Maggie.” Rob said, nodding once. Jackson just looked at me. My eyes flickered to the third person.

“Hey, Peggy.” Justin smiled happily.