I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Nineteen: Coffee and ‘Oh-That Can’t Be Good’

I waited while everyone stared at me. I looked from Kellan’s face to Rob’s blank one. I wonder what that meant. Did I look worse than I thought? Justin was just smirking at me. Ashley grinned and I noticed Rob quickly leave the room, covering his mouth. No one else seemed to pay much attention to his departure. Kellan looked me up and down. Not once, not twice-but three times.

“I lied-she’s not hot.” He started, turning to where Rob used to be. I frowned at him as he spoke. “She’s…gorgeous.” He trailed off when he didn’t see Rob. “Rob?” He called. Ashley look at me, confused.

“He left.” I said blankly. “Is it that bad?” I asked worriedly.

“No-just give me a minute.” Rob’s voice came from outside the waiting room. I closed my eyes.

“Man-I’m so glad we decided who was taking who before this trip.” Kellan said.

“Why’s that?” Kristen asked.

“I’d have a hard time choosing now with how amazing you all look.” He said. I felt my face blush. Rob stepped back in quietly and I looked at him.

“Sorry. You took me by surprise.” He mumbled. I nodded, not quite understanding.

“We’ll wait outside for you.” Kellan said, turning to leave. I waited until they were outside the dressing room before turning to Ashley.

“Unzip me, please?” I requested, turning my back to her. She slid the zipper down and I quickly stepped into the small dressing room to put on my regular clothes. I carefully hung up the dress and put the shoes in the box. I walked back out once I was fully dressed. Rob smiled and took my things from me as the others stepped out, too. I let the others check out before me and I shuffled uncomfortably next to Rob.

“What’s the matter?” He asked quietly.
“Did I really look that bad?” I asked. I noticed Justin was trying to be subtle about listening, but I didn’t really care.

“Oh, sweetie-no.” He said softly, brushing my cheek. “That was my problem. I’m sorry if that’s the impression I gave you. It’s just-when you came out in the dress-I saw you the way…he sees you.” He said and I knew he meant Jackson. “It overwhelmed me.” He said, his eyes full of apologies. I linked my arm with his.

“Thanks.” I said quietly.

“Anytime, love.” He set my dress and shoes on the counter and the lady rang me out. I handed her my debit card as she put my dress in a long gray zip up bag and my shoes in a regular bag. Rob took it and we all left the store. Justin was up with Ashley and Nikki, and Rob was walking slowly next to me.

“Hey-I’m gonna get some coffee quick, ok? Make sure they don’t leave without me?” I requested.

“Of course. Want me to come with you?” He asked. I shook my head.

“I’ll just be a few minutes.” I said, ducking into the small coffee bar. I stood behind the first person in line, waiting. The place was almost empty except for the one girl working, the person in front of me and there was someone down at the end of the long room, but I could only see his legs sticking out from behind the wall. His bright blue pair of converse shoes caught my eye but I didn’t pay close attention. The guy ahead of me got his coffee, paid and stepped out of my way. I was about to step up to the counter when someone threw their arm roughly around my shoulders. I looked up, annoyed to see Justin grinning at me. I shrugged out from under his arm and looked at the girl waiting patiently. I saw Justin wink at her and I sighed, but she politely kept her focus on me.

“Can I have a French vanilla mocha latte, tall, single shot of expresso, but can you put a double shot of flavor in it?” I asked politely. She nodded and got to work on my drink. I pulled three ones out of my pocket and put them in the tip jar on the counter.

“So-you looked pretty hot in that dress.” Justin said, smirking at me. I rolled my eyes, trying to ignore him to the best of my ability. “So when are we going out?” He asked like he was checking a fact.

“Never.” I retorted.

“Aw, come on. Don’t be like that.” He cooed.

“Justin-why don’t you just go home?” I sighed. “And by home I mean New York.”

“I will when you do.” He said calmly.

“I’m not going home.” I said. He scoffed.

“Don’t be stupid. We can’t live here.” He said. I sighed.

“I don’t want you living here-so-that’s good we agree. Feel free to leave whenever.” I said, waving my hand towards the door.

“I can’t leave yet.” He said. I looked at him. “I still have to dance with you at that party.” He said obviously as I paid for my drink.

“Ugh.” I groaned. “You’re not invited.” I reminded him. “Seriously-go home.” I said. He smirked at me as the girl handed back my debit card. Before I knew what was happening, his hands were on either side of my face and he was kissing me, hard. He forced his tongue inside my mouth and then my brain snapped into place. I put my hands on his muscular chest and pushed as hard as I could. It took a few seconds but he let go, smiling triumphantly.

“I knew you’d come around.” He said, giving me a chuck under my chin and he practically skipped out the door. I blinked furiously, wishing I had something to scrub my mouth out with, bleach maybe. I turned to the girl behind the counter.

“Was that your boyfriend?” She asked. I shook my head, making a disgusted face.

“Do you have gum?” I asked, picking up my drink. She pulled a piece of Orbit out of her apron pocket and handed it to me and looked apologetic. I smiled my thanks and walked out, putting the gum in my mouth. I headed for the car and slid in next to Rob, a sour look on my face.

“We’ll have to get jewelry to go with the dresses, of course.” Ashley was saying. She looked at me expectantly.

“I’ve actually already have something that would look pretty good.” I muttered. She nodded and turned to the other girls. Rob nudged me as Kellan started to drive. We turned around and went back past the coffee shop just as Jackson was walking out. His bright blue converse shoes caught my eye.

“Oh-that can’t be good.” I muttered, noticing the sour look on his face. He had heard what was said-maybe even saw Justin kiss me. I gagged at the thought. Rob followed my gaze and wrapped his arms around me tightly, putting my warm cup in the cup holder in front of us.

“Kellan?” I asked, trying to make my voice sweet on top of all the acid I was tasting in my violated mouth.

“Yeah, Maggie?” He asked carefully.

“Do you think you could possibly dislodge the rat in the back by making incredibly sharp turns?” I requested. He chuckled.

“I’ll do my best, babe.” Rob looked at me for a second.

“What happened?” He asked quietly. I explained what happened, my voice choking slightly as I got to the kissing part. Rob squeezed me tighter and I became aware that everyone was listening.

“And now Jackson will be mad at me again because of this tard.” Justin opened the window behind Ashley’s head.

“Just wait till he sees you at the party-there will be no way he can be mad at you. He won’t be able to stop watching you.” Rob said. “He’ll want to be dancing with you all night.” He teased. I rolled my eyes, but tucked under his arm comfortably.

We dropped Justin off at his hotel, saying we’d drop his car off later. Kellan pulled up in front of Kevin’s house where Mollie, Ashley and I jumped out, carrying our stuff. Ash handed her bagged emerald green dress and matching shoes back to Nikki to bring home. Rob got out as well but got disgustedly into Justin’s car.

“Feel free to dent it as much as you want.” I said before he had shut the door. He grinned at me and took off. We went inside and up to my room, Mollie to hers. Ashley sat on my bed as I hung up my dress and set my shoes below it in my closet. I sat next to her and text Jackson before she and I started talking.


Hey, handsome-I missed you today. I got my dress and I tried to talk
Kellan into tipping Justin off the back of the jeep but Justin just wouldn’t
let go! Gimme a call when you get a chance, hun


I hoped that once he read that-he would understand that the kiss, if he had seen it, was really more of an assault in my eyes.

“He’ll understand.” She said softly. I half smiled at her.

“I hope so.” She tucked my hair behind my ear much like a big sister would and I rested my head against her shoulder.

“You really like him, don’t you?” She said as more of a statement than a question. I nodded.

“A lot. I’ve never liked anyone this much.” I admitted.

“Then everything will work out.” She promised.

“Thanks, Ash.” She kissed the top of my head and we were quiet for a while.

“So I was thinking-we’re going to be finishing the movie the day before the party-so the day of-us girls are going to get our hair and nails done.” She said brightly.

“Alright.”

“You said you already had the jewelry you wanted to wear, right?” She asked. I nodded and got up to show her my mom’s anniversary presents. Mollie came in to join us and they admired the jewelry.

“This will go perfectly.” Ashley agreed. I smiled. We hung out for a while before I finally drove Ashley home.

The next day I drove Mollie to the set and we went inside. Taylor and Mike were at the vending machines again and we stopped to talk.

“Hey, guys.” I said, giving them both a hug. Mollie just waved, but kept her eyes on Taylor.

“Hey.” They greeted back.

“Have either of you seen Jackson?” I asked.

“He stayed home today, he wasn’t feeling well.” Taylor told me. I nodded.

“Ok-Tay-can I speak to you for a second?” I asked. He nodded and I linked my arm with his, leading him away. I made sure we were out of ear reach before I turned to him.

“Are you going to ask Mollie to the party?” I asked sweetly as he draped his arm around my shoulders comfortably.

“You think she’ll go with me?” He asked, excited. I nodded.

“Duh.” He grinned.

“Alright, then.” He agreed.

“Good.”

“So what’s going on with you and Jay?” He asked.

“Depends.” I said.

“On what?” He asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

“Was he mad when he got home last night? Did he delete my text message?” I asked.

“Both.” He said quietly. I blew out a frustrated sigh.

“Then not so good.” I answered. He kissed the top of my head.

“I’m sorry, honey.”

“It’s fine.” I sighed. “I’ll figure out how to fix this.” I said, although I had no idea how I would do it. I could corner him in the broom closet like he had done to me-but that was even if he came back to the set.

Taylor led me back to the cafeteria where everyone but Rob and Kristen were. He took his seat next to Mollie and I sat next to Kellan, resting my head against his strong shoulder. I quietly text Jackson telling him I hoped he felt better soon and dropped my phone on the table, spinning it around.

I didn’t pay much attention to the surrounding conversations as I thought about how to get Jackson to forgive me. I could go over to his house now-but I didn’t want a screaming match to ensue if he really wasn’t feeling well. I could call him endlessly but that would only make me like Cara. I shuddered at the thought and Kellan, misinterpreting my shudder, wrapped his arms tighter around me. Cam’s voice brought me out of my deep thoughts.

“I can’t believe there’s only two days left.” He said. I frowned. Two days So soon-who knows if I’d ever see them again after this. I quickly hugged Kellan tightly and he looked at me curiously.

“Everything ok?” He asked softly.

“I’ll miss you.” I whispered. Everyone else was oblivious to our exchange.

“I’ll miss you, too. Until the next movie.” He grinned. I tilted my head.

“What do you mean?”

“There are four books, silly.” He chuckled. I grinned. “So, you won’t be away from us for very long.” My grin widened.

“Good.” He raised an eyebrow at me.

“That’s a good thing?” He asked. I nodded.

“Of course. I love you guys. I don’t know what I’d do if I had to stay away from you.” He squeezed me tighter.

“Good to know, babe.” He said, kissing my cheek.

“What are you two whispering about?” Ashley asked loudly, calling attention to us.

“Just how much I’ll miss you guys.” I said. She beamed at us.

“Same here.” I smiled and dropped my gaze to my phone lying still on the table. I flipped it open absentmindedly and went to my sent messages and looked for the check mark next to the ones I had sent to Jackson. Kellan rubbed my shoulder comfortingly as he watched my movements. He pushed me to my feet and stood as well.

“We’ll be back, guys.” Kellan said, leading me out of the cafeteria.

“Where are we going?” I asked, wrapping my arm around his waist as he wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

“To make a phone call.” He said as we stopped in the next hallway. He pulled out his cell and dialed a number before we continued to walk. He paused for a minute and I remained quiet.

“Hey, Jay-how you feeling, pal?” He asked, looking at me. “That’s too bad. Think maybe you caught it from Maggie?” He asked and I frowned. I hoped I hadn’t gotten Jackson sick. “That’s true-it was too long ago to be her fault. Maybe it’s just the cold weather.” Kellan prompted. He gently pushed me away and side stepped a few feet down the hallway. My frown at him deepened.

“Hold on, Jack.” He said and called to me, “Maggie-hey-what are you doing tonight?” He asked. I thought about it and came up with an honest answer.

“Um-I was going to buy Justin a plane ticket home. Why?” I replied, still standing a few yards apart.

“Why are you buying him a plane ticket?” Kellan asked, clearly amused by my answer. I stepped closer, but kept my volume the same.

“Because I’m sick of him being here and he doesn’t seem willing to leave on his own.” I said. He laughed.

“Good luck with that.” He said, going back to the phone.

“Who are you talking to?” I asked, hoping my voice sounded the right amount of confused.

“Jackson-he’s not feeling well. Wanna talk to him?” He asked, offering me the phone. I shook my head and made my voice sound pathetically sad, which wasn’t too difficult.

“No-he doesn’t want to talk to me. I won’t force myself on him.” I said. “Tell him I hope he feels better, though.” I said and Kellan grinned at me like I had played my part well. I sighed, wishing that’s all it was-that Jackson wasn’t really mad at me.

Kellan relayed the message and told Jackson to get some rest before hanging up. He closed the large space between us and pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

“We’ll work on him.” Kellan whispered. I nodded.

The rest of the day was uneventful as I spent much of it in the library.