I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Twenty One: Cuckoo for Coco Puffs: Finale

I cringed at his words, but kept my head down.

“Here you go, hun. Enjoy.”

“Thanks.” Jackson replied and then I heard the tinkling of the door opening and closing. The waitress brought my plate over, but I suddenly wasn’t hungry.

“Here you go.” She smiled at me, but it wasn’t a friendly smile. “Need anything else?” I shook my head.

“No thanks.” She nodded and walked away. I pushed my fries around for a few minutes and the waitress come back.

“Is everything ok?” She asked. I sighed.

“Can I have a to go box?” I asked. She nodded and disappeared. She came back a few seconds later and I dumped all of my untouched food into the Styrofoam container. I took three ones out of my pocket and set it on the table before grabbing my keys, box and standing up to leave. I walked out to my car and Jackson was nowhere in sight. I sighed.

“How does this keep happening?” I muttered to myself as I got into my car. I drove back to Kevin’s and walked inside numbly. I stuck my box in the almost empty fridge and went up to my room, dropping face first onto my bed. I fell asleep like that and the next thing I knew there was a loud knocking on my door.

“Yeah?” I mumbled, rolling over to face the door. Mollie pushed in and smiled apologetically at me.

“You ok?” She asked, coming to sit on the bed. I shook my head.

“I hate Justin.” I said. She nodded, agreeing.

“He’s an epic fail.” She said but then her face brightened. “But you punching him both times-that was an epic win.” I chuckled.

“Thanks-I do what I can.” I sighed.

“So what happened?” She asked.

“We were talking about Justin and he asked how I could’ve been friends with someone like that. I told him Justin wasn’t always a dick and I wished I could show him the difference. It’s like watching someone grow. You don’t notice it when you see them everyday, but take a vacation and you can immediately tell the difference. But then Jackson got all mad and left without letting me explain.”

“I’m sorry.” She said honestly. “But at least you’ll have tomorrow to explain.” She added brightly. Kevin knocked on the door as he passed through.

“Sorry to interrupt-but you ladies are going to have to stay home tomorrow.” He said and I groaned, burying my face in my pillow.

“Oops.”

“Whatever.” I sighed.

“You hungry?” She asked.

“No.” I said flatly, even though I haven’t eaten all day.

“Ok.” She let it go and stood up to leave. “I’m sorry.” She said again. I just waved at her. I fell back asleep and stayed that way until the next morning.

I got up slowly to take a shower. I was in the middle of washing my hair when Mollie knocked on the door.

“Yeah?” I called over the water.

“There’s a package downstairs for you.” She said.

“Could you put it on my bed for me?” I asked.

“Sure.” I finished my stuff and got out, quickly getting dressed. I went into my room and sitting on my bed was a box from Victoria’s Secret. I unpacked it and put everything away. Mollie got in the shower and I went downstairs to make breakfast for the both of us. I was just finishing the eggs when she joined me.

“Win!” She cheered. I chuckled and split the eggs onto two plates. We ate our breakfast in almost total silence and I did clean up. I was just finishing when there was a knock on the door.

“Please be Jackson.” I whispered. “Don’t be Justin.” I kept up the string of wishes until I opened the door and felt my jaw drop.

Standing before me was the judge who had sent me here, the judge who sent me the boxes. Judge Ryan Turner. My brain took a second to catch up. I stepped back to let him in. He was a tall man-maybe 6’4’’, he had short dark brown hair, an athletic build, and bright blue eyes. He was in his late thirties or early forties and had a very charismatic face. People liked him and he was a fair judge, but I wasn’t thrilled with him.

“Hello, Margrette.” He said, shaking my lifeless hand.

“Judge Turner.” I said, knee jerk reaction.

“How are you doing?” He asked, watching me.

“Good.” I said. It was honest enough for what he meant.

“Good. I trust you got my packages.” He said as I headed for the kitchen.

“Yeah-um-thanks.” I said, not completely sure if I meant it. “Would you like some coffee?” I offered.

“Yes, please.” He replied, looking around and seeing Mollie.

“That’s Kevin’s niece, Mollie.” I said by way of introductions.

“Hello.” He said pleasantly. She smiled. He followed me into the kitchen as I poured his coffee and set it on the breakfast bar.

“Does Kevin leave you alone everyday?” He asked, sitting on the stool. I shook my head.

“No. We usually go to the set with him but today was the last day so we weren’t allowed.” I said, feeling strange for having to explain.

“Oh.”

“I’m fine, really. Kevin has been doing a great job.” I said, defending my God father.

“Alright.” He consented. “So-“ He started, but Mollie let out an excited shriek. She jumped into the kitchen, a big smile on her face.

“What?” I asked, watching her with a bemused smile on my face.

“Taylor just asked me to the party!” She squeaked. I laughed. “Epic win!” She disappeared back into the living room and Judge Turner turned back to me.

“What party?” He asked.

“One of the cast members is having a New Year’s Eve party tomorrow and we’ve been invited. Taylor Lautner is another cast member that Mollie likes and he likes her so he asked her to go with him.” I explained.

“Oh, I see. Who are you going with?” He asked.

“Rob Pattinson.” I said and he nodded.

“Same situation?” He asked and I shook my head.

“No-he and I are just friends.”

“Ok.” I really hoped he wouldn’t press for any crushes I might have-because right now, mine wasn’t speaking to me. He looked at the clock behind me and frowned.

“I have a flight to catch. I hope you have fun at the party.” He smiled and stood up to leave.

“Ok. Have a safe flight.” I said, walking him to the door.

“Thanks. Oh-before I forget, here’s the check from the house sale.” He said, pulling a long envelope out of his jacket pocket and handing it to me.

“Oh-thanks.” I said, taking it from him.

“And the life insurance checks were transferred into your account last week.” I nodded. “Alright, I’ve got to go now.” I waved, unable to talk. He walked out the door, I went back into the living room and collapsed on the love seat.

“He does that a lot to you, doesn’t he?” Mollie asked. I nodded.

“Wanna go to the bank with me?” I sighed. She nodded.

“Sure.” We both got up and headed out to my car. I grabbed my purse and keys and got in the driver’s seat. We drove to my bank and went inside to deposit the check.

I fell asleep early that night and slept straight through until one the next day when Ashley jumped on my bed, waking me up.

“Good God.” I groaned.

“Come on-we have a hair appointment.” She said happily.

“Fine.” I got up and got dressed quickly before heading back down the stairs to see Nikki, Kristen, Anna, Mollie and Ashley.

“Ready?” Nikki asked. I nodded.

“Yup.” We walked outside and to the cars. We all piled into Nikki’s car and headed for wherever we were going. The girls chatted happily as we drove the half hour. Nikki parallel parked in front of the hair and nail salon and we all climbed out. We walked inside the empty place and they got to work on us. My hair was going to be curled and piled on my head with my side bangs sleek over my right eye. While we were letting my curls set in the curlers I got my nails done. I was going to go with a plain French tip, but Ashley insisted I go with a red tip to match my dress. She picked one out and gave it to the girl.

The girl finishing my hair put a metal silver band woven in a Celtic design into my hair just in front of the pile of curls. The whole process took two hours and then we had the half hour trip back.

We spent the rest of the afternoon getting ready. Nikki, Kristen, Ashley and Anna got ready at my house. I was just going to put on eyeliner but Ashley insisted on doing my makeup.

“I think you’re more like Alice than you realize.” I teased. She laughed.

The guys showed up around nine to get us. Anna and Mollie went down first and I heard them leave. Probably Jackson’s idea. Nikki and Kristen went next and then Ashley and then I walked carefully down the stairs last. I focused on my steps so I wouldn’t fall. Rob held his hand out for me, never looking away from me.

“You look amazing.” He breathed. My mother’s jewelry glinted in the light from the living room. I smiled at him as we started to head for the car. He shrugged out of his tux jacket and held it up for me. I slid my arms in carefully and let him lead me out to the car. Everyone else had left already so it was just me and Rob.

“Jackson misses you.” He said as we drove to the large hotel where the party was being held.

“No he doesn’t.” I replied, looking out the window.

“Trust me, Maggie-I live with the guy. He misses you.” I looked at him and I could see he was telling the truth.

“Why does he keep getting mad at me?” I asked.

“Because he gets frustrated that you put yourself in Justin’s power.” He said.

“But I don’t. Not anymore. I only said I wanted to show him the difference, so he could understand why I was even friends with him in the first place. I mean-he’s the one who asked, he brought it up.” I said, slightly hysterical. I saw him nod in the darkness.

“I can understand that.” He said.

“Of course you can.” I mumbled.

“What?” He chuckled.

“You always understand me.” I said. He just smiled and took my hand gently.

“Jackson does, too, love. He’s just a little biased.”

“Biased?” I asked, confused.

“I’m sure you’ll figure out why.” I sighed. We pulled up in front of the hotel and a valet attendant opened my door for me. Rob led me inside and I gave him back his jacket. We walked up one side of the split grand staircase. The large room had a glow to it. I looked up at the ceiling and saw why. There were gold plated designs on the tall ceilings. I looked back around the room which was crowded with people I don’t know, some famous people and my friends. Peter came over and hugged me and then shook Rob’s hand.

“You look beautiful.” Peter said, smiling at me. I blushed.

“Thanks.” He glided away to say hello to someone else.

“Champagne first? Or dance first?” Rob asked, leaning into me, his hand on my lower back.

“Definitely alcohol before dancing.” I said and he chuckled, leading me over to the bar.

“Two champagnes, please.” He said to the bartender. The bartender smiled at me before getting our drinks. Rob chuckled and I looked at him.

“What?” I asked.

“I don’t understand how the only boyfriend you’ve ever had is Justin when every guy you meet can’t stop looking at you.” He murmured. I just laughed. He put the drink in my hand and I turned to lean back against the bar and look around the room. Jackson was standing with Anna, Kellan and Nikki. Anna caught my eye and smiled at me apologetically. I smiled back and turned to Rob, but not before I saw her nudge Jackson.

“It’s so big in here.” I said to Rob. He chuckled as I sipped my champagne.

“Sure is.” He said.

“Ok-let’s dance, then.” I sighed. He grinned and led me to the dance floor, letting me keep my drink. He spun me around and held me close to him as the music played.

“Why is it that you are most graceful on things that normal people are clumsy on?” He joked. I just shrugged. “It’s going to make it harder for Jackson to stay away from you.” I sighed.

“You keep bringing him up.” I commented.

“I want you to be happy, love. I know Jay makes you happy, even when he’s making you upset.” He whispered in my ear. “And I really don’t like it when you’re upset. So I want you and Jackson to be ok.” He said. I kissed his cheek.

“Ahem.” Kellan said, standing next to us. I looked at him. “May I?” Rob handed my hands over to Kellan who lightly took my empty hand and pulled my waist tightly to his.

“Hi, Kellan. You’re looking handsome.” I said, touching the lapel of his tux.

“You look stunning.” He replied. I smiled. Kellan and I danced for a while before Mike came over and cut in.

“Hi, Mikey.” I smiled.

“Hey, beautiful.” He spun me around and pulled me back to him. “Having fun?” He asked.

“I am, but I think I need another drink.” I laughed.

“You got it, babe.” He said, dancing me back to the bar. I was spun onto a stool next to Ashley. The bartender came over and leaned across to me and smiled.

“Round two.” I said and he laughed.

I danced some more with everyone except Jackson and around ten thirty I was back by the bar with Ashley and Nikki. We were taking a break from dancing for a while, just talking.

“So, this is fun.” Nikki said. I nodded, only half agreeing. It’d be more fun if I could be dancing with Jackson, if I could have his arms around me. Ashley rubbed my shoulder as if she could read my mind.

“I know, sweetie.” She said softly. “If it helps, he’s been watching you all night.” I bit my lip.

“Probably wishing I wasn’t here.” I muttered.

“Thaaaat’s not the look I’m getting.” Nikki said buoyantly. I looked up at her and then over to Jackson. His lips were slightly pulled up at the corners as he watched me. He saw me looking at him and he ducked his head, pulling Anna onto the dance floor.

“Round three?” The bartender asked, leaning over to me. I looked at Ash and she nodded. He gave us three glasses and I turned around to face the crowd again. Ashley and Nikki went onto the dance floor and I stayed at the bar alone. I think they were hoping Jackson would come over and talk to me, but he didn’t. No one else was at the bar at the moment so the bartender came over to talk to me instead.

“Can I ask you something?” He said. I nodded.

“Sure-shoot.”

“What’s a beautiful woman like your self doing all alone tonight?” He asked, smiling a charming smile at me. I chuckled.

“Well, I’m not alone-but I’m not here with the guy I want to be with.” I said. He frowned.

“And why not?” He asked. I sighed.

“Because he’s mad at me.” I said.

“Is he here?” He asked. I nodded. “Who is he?” He asked, peering over my shoulder. I turned to find Jackson walking off the dance floor with Anna.

“See the guy who’s with the girl in the purple dress?” I asked, pointing subtly.

“Yeah.”

“That’s him, Jackson.” I said.

“Lucky guy.” He said and I looked at him. “To have you.” He said obviously.

“He doesn’t have me.” I said. “I wish.”

“Well, the way he’s ogling at you right now-I’d say he wishes he had you, too.” I shook my head.

“Everyone keeps saying that-but I’m having a hard time believing it.” I said.

“That’s because it’s about you. People never believe the truth about themselves.” He said rationally, pouring champagnes for a couple. “Like, I bet you don’t believe that you’re gorgeous-but you are.” I felt my face flush slightly. “Wow-especially when you do that.” He chuckled. I paused for a second and he just smiled at me. I shook my head.

“What time is it?” I asked. He looked at his watch.

“Around eleven.” I nodded as Ashley came over, looking upset.

“What’s the matter?” I asked and she looked over my shoulder. I followed her gaze and saw Justin standing in the ridiculously large doorway. I gritted my teeth and turned back to Ashley.

“I hate him.” I said fiercely.

“I know, babe.” The bartender waved at us.

“Who’s that?” He asked.

“Ex-boyfriend and the reason the new guy isn’t speaking to me.” I said.

“Oh-Jackson, right.” She looked between us.

“We’ve been chatting.” I explained. He held out his hand to shake hers.

“Ethan.” She shook his hand.

“Ashley.” I felt fingers trail down the back of my neck and to the small of my back. I shivered and looked back to see Justin. I rolled my eyes.

“Why haven’t you left yet?” I asked. He turned me around to face him.

“Please, just dance with me once?” He requested. I shook my head. “Please, just one dance and then I’ll leave.” He promised. I looked at Ashley and she rolled her eyes but was otherwise quiet.

“One dance.” I warned. He nodded and led me gently to the dance floor.

“You really look beautiful.” He said as he spun me around and pulled me close to him.

“Thanks.” I said, placing one hand on his shoulder and holding his hand. His free hand was lightly around my thin waist.

“So you really like it here?” He asked. I nodded.

“My friends are here.” I said.

“I’m your friend.” He said.

“Justin-the last time we were friends was before you broke up with me. You know that.” I said. He frowned.

“I don’t really think that’s fair.” He said as we swayed.

“But it’s true. Ever since you broke up with me you’ve only treated me like a thing, or one of the guys, or an object you can own. I haven’t actually been your friend in about two years.” I said.

“Well, that’s depressing.” He said.

“I guess.” He pulled me closer.

“Well-let’s get out of here and fix that.” He whispered in my ear. I looked at him in shock. He grinned and lowered his mouth to my ear again. “I could make you scream.” He whispered as his hand slid to my butt. I gagged and pushed him away.

“You just have to ruin everything.” I hissed. I started to walk away but he grabbed my arm tightly. I clenched my teeth and turned to him smiling. I carefully took his hand and pulled him out of the large room to a side stair case. He got over excited and started to lead me down the stairs. I jerked my hand out of his and stopped on the top step.

“Peggy-what-?” He started.

“My name is Maggie. And I’m going to tell you this for the last time. Go home and stay away from me.” I said. He shook his head.

“No.” I shrugged.

“I warned you.” I said and pulled my right fist back. I let it spring forward and it hit him in the face. His head snapped back and before he could do anything I punched him again. My fist was throbbing, probably from a broken knuckle. He snapped his eyes to me, anger flashing. He started towards me and in a literal knee jerk reaction I kneed him in the groin. He doubled over in what I can only imagine would be excruciating pain. I pushed him in his bent over shape down the stairs. I smiled proudly to myself as I walked back into the room. I headed over to the bar and sat back down.

“What happened to the creep?” Ethan asked. I held up my hand.

“Punched him.” I said.

“Ouch. Want some ice?” He asked. I nodded.

“Yes, please.” He got a bag and put some ice cubes in it as Rob came over and stared at me.

“Are you ok? Where’s Justin?” He asked.

“Yes, and gone.” I said as Ethan put the ice on my hand.

“Your friend’s looking at you and I can’t tell if he’s scared or mad.” Ethan said in a low voice to me. I looked up to Jackson and I could see the worry in his amazingly green eyes.
“Worried.” I muttered to Ethan.

“Well-I, for one-am glad you got rid of him.” Ethan smiled. Rob nodded in agreement.

“As am I.” I stood up off the stool and took Rob’s hand with my good one.

“Dance with me?” I asked sweetly. He smirked and followed me, keeping the ice on my hand.

“Of course.” He held me close as we danced slowly despite the up beat temp song. “Can I ask what happened with Justin?” He asked quietly. I told him the story as we danced slowly.

“That was cruel, but at the same time, I’m proud of you.” He said, dipping me.

“Thanks, Rob.” He stood me up and Taylor came over to cut in. Rob walked off graciously to dance with Mollie.

“How’s the hand?” Taylor asked.

“Sore. I hit him with my right hand, again. I’m such an idiot.” He chuckled.

“No you’re not. You just don’t think before you hit. You should start doing that.” He said. I chuckled. Peter and his wife got up on the stage to say something and I looked at Taylor, confused.

“What time is it?” I asked. He looked at his watch.

“Eleven fifty three.” He said. I sighed. The night was almost over and I hadn’t even spoken to Jackson. Ashley appeared at our side.

“May I?” She asked me, motioning to Taylor. I stepped back and she danced away with him. I blew out a sigh and turned to walk back bar to the bar, but instead I bumped into Jackson. He caught me carefully by my arms and steadied me.

“Sorry.” I breathed. He shook his head.

“I should be the one apologizing. I was totally wrong.” He said and I threw my arms around him. He pulled me gently away from him, but held onto my waist. He eyed my swollen right hand.

“Hmmm.” He mused. I opened my mouth to explain but he beat me to it. “You should’ve hit him left handed.” He said and then smirked. I just nodded, smiling.

“Will you dance with me?” He asked. I nodded again and stepped closer. “You look absolutely breath taking.” He breathed as he spun me carefully out onto a large deck off the side. The posts in the corners and the railings were lit up with lights. The snow was falling in large, fluffy snow flakes, the kind that doesn’t look cold until you touch it. It looked like it was floating down from the sky instead of falling.

“You look pretty good, yourself.” I commented as he shrugged out of his tux jacket for me to put on. He pulled me close to him again and ever so lightly, he kissed my right hand so it didn’t hurt.

“Listen-I have something to say to you. I probably should’ve said this every day from the very moment I met you.” He paused, still moving me around in circles. “I love you.” He said softly. I blinked at him and my heart sped up.

“I-you…what?” I stuttered. This had taken me completely by surprise. He smiled and dipped me backwards, but when he met my eyes, his green ones were completely serious.

“I am completely, one hundred percent, heels over head, stupid, cuckoo for coco puffs, crazy in love with you.” He said, standing me up, but still holding my gaze. “I have been from the very second I saw you.” I could hear the people counting down until midnight-there were only seconds left.

I took in what he said in milli-seconds and my heart stopped as I realized how completely serious he was-and to realize that I felt the exact same way. I pulled his face to mine, ignoring the protestant throbbing from my hand and the New Year’s cheers from inside. Our lips collided and my good hand was behind his head, holding his lips to mine. He pulled me away easily.

“Is that a good reaction?” He asked, his eyes still closed.

“Very.” I gasped. “But-“ I started and his eyes flew open. “You have to ask me.” I said. “Or it doesn’t count.” He blinked at me before he realized what I meant.

“Maggie Spencer, will you be my girlfriend?” He asked solemnly. I nodded, grinning and kissed him again. He pulled me away once more and I pouted. His lips tugged upwards at the corners.

“You have to say it or it doesn’t count.” He said.

“Yes.” I said and he pulled me to him, kissing me passionately.
♠ ♠ ♠
tada, it's finally over. thanks to everyone who's read it. Comment or message me and let me know if you're interested in reading the sequel
~Jamie