I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Five: Hospital Visits

The scene wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be but I still couldn’t wait to get out of there.

I was sitting outside on the wall, my back resting against the upper level as I stretched my legs out in front of me, going the length of the wall. I heard someone come out the door behind me and I turned to see Jackson heading my way. I turned back and closed my eyes. He reached me and rested his fisted hands on my thigh and I fought really hard to control my smile.

“That wasn’t so bad, right?” He asked. I sighed.

“Don’t ever ask me to do that again.” I muttered. He laughed and patted my hand.

“You did so well though.” I heard Ashley say. I smiled.

“One and only time, hon.” I said. She and Jackson laughed. We were silent for a minute and I was enjoying the warmth on my face.

“So-are you doing ok?” Ashley asked quietly, poking my arm. I looked at her and a strand of my hair blew across my eyes. Jackson gently moved it and tucked it behind my ear, his soft fingers lingering on my skin.

“I’m doing much better.” I said, struggling to keep my voice even. “I think last night really helped.” I said. Jackson looked from me to Ashley and back, confused.

“What was last night?” He asked, surprised.

“I made chicken riggies.” I said quietly. Ashley seemed to take my hint and didn’t mention anything about my story.

“Oh.” He said, his face falling.

“They brought some home for you.” I said. He looked at Ashley and she smiled.

“Thanks.” He smiled. Ashley looked back up at the school.

“I have to go talk to Nikki. I’ll see you two later.” She said, winking at me behind his back. I rolled my eyes as she headed back up the small hill. Jackson and I were in a comfortable silence for a few moments.

“We’re going out to dinner tonight, are you coming?” He asked, sounding hopeful. I smiled.

“I don’t want to intrude.” I said.

“Have you ever intruded?” He laughed. I literally had to focus on my breathing at the sound.

“I don’t know-I think so.” I said uncertainly. He blew out a sigh and shook his head.

“You are entirely ridiculous.” He said.

“I try.” I smirked.

“You succeed.” He replied.

“Good. Because then-the trying pays off.” I said smartly. He let out a laugh.

“You’re adorable.” He said in his melodic voice. My heart beat raced and I was almost positive he could hear it.

“Pfffft.” Was all I could manage. He covered my mouth with his warm hand.

“Don’t argue. I win.” He smirked. Usually, my first instinct would be to lick his hand, but for some reason I didn’t. I let his smooth skin touch mine, butterflies attacking my stomach.
“So you never answered about dinner.” He said, watching me. I crossed my eyes down to his hand. “Right.” He laughed before letting go.

“If you want me to.” I said, trying to include the whole group in the ‘you’, but I knew that deep down-I really just wanted him to want me there.

“Would I be asking if I didn’t want you there?” He asked, correctly misinterpreting my ‘you’ as he stepped closer to me. My air stuck in my lungs and I was having trouble swallowing. I barely managed to shrug. He took another step closer. “Well, I do.” He said softly. I was almost hyperventilating.

“Then I’ll go.” I whispered, wishing he would just kiss me already. I had a strong urge to reach out and touch his smooth, gorgeous face, but I stopped myself. Instead I let my hands fall open in my lap. He eyed me for a second before taking my hands in his.

“Are you alright?” He asked. I nodded, looking at our hands. I was thinking about how nice his felt in mine. I began thinking about all the time I’ve spent with him and smiled as I thought about the baseball scene when he was playing with the bat.

He began tracing light lines on my palms, bringing me back to the present. I blinked my eyes open and looked at him.

“Tell me what you were thinking?” He asked sweetly. I felt my face get warm.

“Oh, um...” I trailed off.

“Please?”

“I was actually thinking about that time in the field-the baseball scene. I was remembering you toying around with the bat.” I mumbled, embarrassed.

“Hmmm.” He mused.

“What?” I groaned.

“Were you impressed?” He asked, looking at me, a smirk playing at the corners of his gorgeous mouth. I smiled; relieved he didn’t think I was a creeper.

“Yeah-a bit.” I admitted. He smirked wider.

“Jackson! Let’s go!” Kellan called from one of the second story windows. He sighed as he looked up at him.

“I’ll see you later?” He asked, looking back at me and sounding hopeful. I nodded.

“I’ll probably walk around to the bleachers-that’s where the sun is moving to.” I said.

“Alright.” He smiled. He gently kissed the back of each of my hands before heading for the school.

It took a few minutes for my heart rate to return to normal and by then the sun had moved behind the trees.

I gently slid off the wall and paused to make sure I wasn’t going to fall over. Once I was sure I was going to stay vertical, I headed for the doors and went towards the vending machines to see Mike standing there with Taylor. They both grinned when they saw me. I smiled back and reached for my bag to get my wallet-but realized I had left my bag at home. I blew out a sigh as I reached the two boys.

Taylor held his arm out for me to walk into, which I did gladly. I held on to the front of his shirt casually as I leaned against him. I smiled at Mike.

“Hi, Mikey.” I greeted.

“Hey, Mags.” He returned.

“What are you up to?” Taylor asked, looking down at me.

“Well-I was going to get something to munch on-but I changed my mind.” I said casually.

“No money?” Mike guessed, chuckling.

“It was a blonde moment.” I muttered.

“Want me to-?” He started. I shook my head.

“I’ll survive.” I smiled. “Thanks anyways, though.” I said. He nodded.

“Sure.”

“This school has a library, right?” I asked, wanting to read a book.

“Yeah-want us to show you?” Taylor asked. I nodded.

“I can’t, actually.” Mike said. “Sorry.”

“It’s cool.” I said. “See you later.” I smiled. He nodded and left down the hall way. Taylor led me down a different one in silence. I had my tongue pressed against my teeth because they kept moving slightly-it was annoying me.

“You alright?” He asked. I was still leaning into him.

“Yeah. My teeth are annoying me-but that’s not your problem.” I laughed.

“You’re sure you’re ok, though?” He asked, watching me.

“Yeah-why?” I asked.

“Because you haven’t let go of my since you saw me.” He said, then laughed. “Not that I’m complaining, mind you.” I remembered what Kellan had said about Taylor liking me. I frowned, but pushed the thought aside.

“Sorry-it’s just that you’re comfortable.” I said, laughing a little.

“Like I said-not complaining.” He reminded me as we stopped in front of a door. “Here we are.” He grinned. “Want me to stay with you?” He asked. I shook my head.

“Thanks, but I’d probably end up getting side tracked in a book. I don’t want to be mean and ignore you.” I said, not wanting to hurt his feelings.

“Alright, then. I’ll see you later.” He said brightly.

“Thanks, Taylor.” I smiled, stepping backwards into the room. He waved, turning to leave.

I started looking through the books for one to read and I laughed when I saw Twilight sitting on one of the shelves. I settled on the carpeted floor of the empty library and began to read.

Three hours later I got up and stretched. Having made it more than half way through the thick book I decided I needed a break. Then I remembered I had told Jackson I was going out to the bleachers.

I walked casually in that direction so I wouldn’t trip. I opened the doors and saw Jackson sitting on one of the seats, holding a guitar. I smiled as I heard him playing gently. I walked over to where he was and sat next to him, not saying anything-just listening to him play.

“You’re late.” He commented, not breaking the string of notes he was playing.

“Sorry-I was in the library, reading.” I mumbled.

“Reading what?” He asked interestedly.

“Twilight.” I said casually. He looked at me, finally stopping, and we both started to laugh.

“Seriously?” He asked, turning back to his guitar.

“Mhm. I found it on one of the shelves and I was bored.” I said.

“How far’d you get?” He asked.

“Um-about three fourths.” I said, shrugging. The notes stumbled as he looked at me wide-eyed.

“How long were you reading?” He asked.

“About three hours?” I guessed.

“And you read almost the entire book?”

“Yeah. Are you kidding me? That’s nothing.” I said. “I read all four books in just under five days.” I told him. He just stared at me. “What?”

“You’re amazing.” He said, shaking his head. I wasn’t sure whether it was a compliment or not.

“Um-thanks?” I said uncertainly.

“Kevin told us-but I didn’t believe him. But he was right.” He mumbled.

“What’d he tell you?” I asked him, confused.

“He told us that even after twenty years-you’re still surprising him. I didn’t think it was possible.” He murmured.

“But now you do?” I finished.

“Now I know it’s possible.” He laughed. His cell phone rang in his pocket. “Can you hold this for me for a second?” He asked, handing me his guitar. I nodded, taking it from him carefully as he answered his phone.

“Hey, mom.” I heard him say quietly. “No-I’m not.” He said, laughing. I listened to the sweet sound of his laugh as he stood up to walk up and down the length of the bleachers. I held the guitar like I was going to play it, but didn’t hit any of the metal strings. I was pretending to when I heard his footsteps come behind me.

“Do you play?” He asked. I jumped and looked at him to see a bemused smile on his face.

“Jesus Christ.” I muttered, holding a hand over my heart as it thudded loudly in my chest.

“Actually-you can just call me Jackson.” He smirked, sitting next to me. I pushed him arm jokingly. “My mom says hi.” He said, laughing.

“Hi, mom.” I said absent-mindedly as I was watching where I put my fingers on the frets.

“So back to my question before I gave you a heart attack...” He hinted.

“I play, not well-mind you, but yes. I play.” I said.

“Play something for me.” He said brightly.

“Why?” I asked.

“I want you to.” He said softly, resting an arm lightly on my shoulder and playing with my hair. My breath stuck in my throat.

“Keep that up and I won’t be able to.” I said breathlessly before I could stop myself. He let out a laugh.

“Sorry.” He said, removing his hand. I cleared my throat nervously and focused on one of my favorite songs to play. I began playing the introduction softly.


Broken this fragile thing now
And I can’t, I can’t pick up the pieces
And I’ve thrown my words all around
But I can’t, I can’t give you a reason

I feel so broken up
And I give up
I just want to tell you so you know

Here I go, scream my lungs out and try to get to you
You are my only one
I let go, there’s just no one that gets me like you do
You are my only, my only one

Made my mistakes, let you down
And I can’t, I can’t hold on for too long
Ran my whole life in the ground
And I can’t, I can’t get up when you’re gone

And something’s breaking up
I feel like giving up
I won’t walk out until you know

Here I go, scream my lungs out and try to get to you
You are my only one
I let go, there’s just no one who gets me like you do
You are my only, my only one

Here I go, so dishonestly
Leave a note for you, my only one
And I know you can see right through
So let me go and you will find someone

Here I go, scream my lungs out and try to get to you
You are my only one
I let go, there’s just no one, no one like you
You are my only, my only one
My only one
My only one
My only one
You are my only, my only one

I finished strumming softly as a group of people to my right, which I hadn’t noticed before, burst into applause. I froze and looked at them. Kellan, Rob, Cam, Taylor, Nikki and Ashley were all clapping. I rolled my eyes and handed the guitar back to Jackson who was staring at me. I sighed.

“I know. It would have been better if I had a violin.” I said quietly as he took the guitar from me, his fingers brushing my hand. I heard Kellan’s loud laugh, which means I really amused him. Jackson was still staring at me and I was starting to become even more self conscious.

“What?” I asked quietly as everyone sat down around us. He blinked slowly as Ashley started to play with my hair.

“You lied to me.” He said finally. I frowned.

“When?” I demanded.

“You told me you couldn’t play well.” He said. I laughed.

“That wasn’t a lie.” I said. He nodded. “Weren’t you listening? That was terrible.”

“Was not!” He said loudly. “I win.” He said, before flashing a smirk at me. I rolled my eyes.

“Whatever.” I mumbled.

As we were leaving around seven, I looked at Rob.

“We’re going to dinner, right?” I asked. He nodded.

“Why?”

“Do you think maybe I can drive this time?” I asked quietly. Kellan whipped around so fast I walked right into him and fell over backwards.

“You mean your car?” He asked, helping me to my feet. I dusted off my butt.

“Yes-I mean my car.” I said, looking at him.

“It’s fine with me.” He said, looking at everyone else. They all nodded. I smiled as I headed for my car. Ashley, Jackson, Taylor and Rob all climbed into my car. I slid in and started the engine. I cranked the heat as usual, started my iPod and Love Story by Taylor Swift started. I handed the iPod to Jackson who was in the front seat next to me.

“Pick a song.” I said as I followed Nikki to the restaurant. He landed on a song and by the time we reached the parking lot it had just ended.

We got out and headed inside. Kellan called dibs on riding with me on the way home. I dropped them at their house after dinner.

“You’re not coming in?” Kellan asked, leaning into the car. I shook my head.

“I’m really tired and I’m not feeling well.” I said.

“Feel better!” Jackson called. I waved at them and took off for my house. I parked in the garage and went inside. I said goodnight to Kevin and went upstairs, changing into a pair of flannel pajama pants and a tank top before falling into bed. I was almost instantly asleep, snuggled up in my warm blankets.

Some time in the early morning hours I felt a sharp stab in my lower abdomen that jerked me awake. My first, fuzzy headed thought was that I had hit my stomach on something, but that didn’t make sense since there wasn’t anything for me to hit. My next thought, which made even less sense, was that I was having contractions, but since I’d have to be the new Virgin Mary, for one and for two-I was almost sure I wasn’t pregnant last night when I fell asleep-I was pretty sure that wasn’t it.

The second stab was three times worse and brought a scream to my lips as I doubled over in pain. I was vaguely aware of Kevin stumbling into my room-half asleep.

“‘S it?” He asked. I was having trouble breathing, it hurt so badly.

“It hurts.” I moaned. He flipped on a light and squinted at me. I was doubled over in a fetal position on my bed, trying to make the pain stop. He watched me for a split second before becoming fully awake and was at my side.

“What kind of hurt?” He asked.

“Stabbing.” I said, my voice breaking. The stabs were coming faster and harder now and it felt like I was being ripped apart from the inside.

“Where?” He asked carefully. I pointed to my right side, just above my pelvis. “Well-that doesn’t mean anything if your appendix is going to explode.” He muttered to himself and I looked at him wide-eyed, gripping the shoulder of his cotton shirt tightly.

“Explode?” I managed to say.

“Come on, let’s get you to the ER.” He said, lifting me up. I bit my lip to keep from screaming. He got me out to the car and paused. “Front or back?” He asked.

“Back.” I mumbled. I wanted to lie down. He quickly ran back inside to grab the keys, a sweatshirt for me and our cell phones. He dashed back out and took off out of the driveway, heading for the hospital.

“What time is it?” I asked quietly from my spot across the back seat of my Impala.

“Almost three.” He answered. I winced as I felt more stabs.

“I’m sorry, Kevin.” I said.

“You don’t have to apologize, honey. It’s not your fault.” He said, looking back at me.

“Can you tell me a story?” I asked, sounding like a little kid when she’s sick.

“Of course. What do you want to hear about?” He asked.

“Kelsey?” I said, hoping he’d say yes. Kelsey had been his wife who had died while giving birth to their daughter, Laura, who also died. Laura would be my age if she had lived, just a few months older. When I was little I had been fascinated by the pictures of Kelsey-she had been movie star beautiful.

“Alright.” He took a deep breath. “So once upon a time there was a young movie director named Kevin, who was just starting out his career. One day he was doing auditions for one of his movies and he was bored right out of his mind when a beautiful angel walked in and she was all he saw. He must have said her name a million times in his head. Kelsey Margrette Hart. He watched her audition, probably the only one he really saw that day and before he knew it-their time was up and she was out of his life.

“She was all he could think about for the next three days, all through the rest of the auditions. She got the part and everyday for a month he felt his heart grow with love for her. Eventually he got up the nerve to ask her out. He wasn’t surprised at all when she said she wasn’t interested. After all-he was a plain guy and she was absolutely perfect.” He said as he pulled into a parking spot. His smooth, steady voice was calming me down, distracting me from the intense pain. He helped me out of the car and towards the door.

“Why’d she really say no?” I asked tiredly.

“You see, she was afraid that her career would be ruined if word got out that she was dating the director. So, even though she said no, he never gave up hope. Everyday he would watch her, just to see her smile. Everyday he made sure she had everything she needed. And everyday he fell more and more in love with her.” He paused to sign us in at the desk.

“It will be just a few moments.” The nurse said politely. I rolled my eyes-heard that one before. I thought sarcastically. Kevin led me over to a seat where I tucked my legs up and rested against him with his arm around me.

“Eventually the movie ended and he asked the angel out for coffee and she finally agreed. The young movie director was ecstatic. They went out for coffee. And they went out a few more times and eventually the coffee dates turned into dinner dates. And those dinner dates turned into all night conversations. After they had been dating for just over a year-they knew that they wanted to spend the rest of their lives side by side, happily ever after.

“Kevin had a very good friend, Mark, who had just gotten married the month before and he asked Mark to be his best man at his wedding. Mark happily agreed. After the amazing ceremony, the new happy couple went on their honey moon and soon after that, the director found himself going to be a daddy. His good friend, Mark, found out he was also going to be a daddy a month after Kevin did.

“Mark asked the director to be the God father and protector of his new baby, should anything happen to him and his wife. The director was completely and deeply honored. So he decided to return the honor and ask Mark and his wife the same thing. Of course-they agreed.” He stopped as the nurse called us in. She asked me a few questions about my pain which I answered as nicely as I could. She led me into a room and shut the door, saying a doctor should be in shortly. She also motioned to the hospital gown and instructed me to put it on. I glared at her as she left before putting it on over my clothes. It was freezing in the room. Kevin chuckled as he sat in one of the plastic chairs. I curled up in his lap, deciding it was helping the pain.

“What happened next?” I asked, even though I knew this story by heart.

“Well, the months passed as the babies grew big and healthy inside their mothers. Mark discovered he was having twins, but they couldn’t decide on any names. The young director and his breath-taking angel, Kelsey, had decided on the name Laura for their own baby girl.” He said her name, his voice breaking slightly. “The director’s angel went into labor early, but there were complications. The baby didn’t make it through and the angel’s body was too weak to try and survive the ordeal.

“Both Mark and his wife were deeply saddened by Kelsey’s passing and they tried to do everything they could to help. The one thing the director asked them to do was to name at least one of their twins after his angel. They made a tiny adjustment, using the middle name instead, wanting to stick with the ‘M’ theme. Kevin agreed, informing them that little Laura’s middle name was going to be Monica.

“The day after the Thanksgiving holiday, Michelle, that’s Mark’s wife, went into labor. For twenty five hours she was in labor. The young director was pacing outside the door way to the delivery room, waiting for the good news.

’Her name’s Margrette.’ He heard Mark say proudly, and then he spelled it out, just the way Kevin’s angel had. Ten minutes later the screaming stopped once more and the young director heard Mark’s voice, once again proud, ‘Her name’s Monica.’

“Two hours after the birth of the twins, Mark and the young director stood outside the nursery of the hospital, admiring the two beautiful baby girls. And to this day, whenever the director looks at Margrette, he can always see a little bit of his beautiful angel in her.” He finished softly. I wrapped my arms around him tightly.

“I love you, Kevin.” I said quietly. He kissed the top of my head for a long time.

“I love you, too, princess.” He whispered.

We waited for an hour for a nurse to come in and say she needed a blood test and to tell me I was wearing the gown wrong-I was supposed to strip before I put it on. I stared at her before my temper got the better of me.

“Are you freaking kidding me right now?” I asked loudly. “It has to be below freezing in here and you want me to take my clothes off and be even more uncomfortable and in pain than I already am?” I demanded angrily. “You know what-you take your clothes off first and tell me the water’s fine-and then I’ll join you.” I said sarcastically. She looked between me and Kevin, who just sat there laughing silently, a shocked look on her face. Kevin just shrugged.

“I can’t make her do anything, either.” He said. She pursed her lips and left. I groaned and rolled my eyes.

“Great-more waiting.” I said, wincing in pain. He chuckled and rubbed my back, humming an unfamiliar lullaby.

At about seven a nurse came in to get my blood and a urine sample to make sure I wasn’t pregnant. I rolled my eyes at that one.

At around eight thirty Kevin called the crew manager from his phone to tell them they had a paid day off and then he called Ashley from my phone.

“Hi, Ashley. It’s Kevin. Listen-you guys have the day off today. Something’s come up and so we’ll just be day behind. So let the others know, please.” He said, not mentioning the hospital. He obviously didn’t want to worry her until we actually knew what it was to worry about.

“No-Maggie isn’t available. You’ll have to wait until tomorrow. Just enjoy your day off, alright?” He said before saying a short goodbye and hanging up. He looked at me apologetically.

“She’s worried about you.” He said softly. I smiled.

“I like them.” I said simply and then winced in pain, holding my stomach. He bit his lip and I could tell it was killing him not to be able to make it better. “I’m ok.” I said faintly.

After another five hours of waiting, I could hear people laughing in the hall way. I clenched my jaw together, thoroughly annoyed.

“Oh-shut up! This is a hospital-you’re supposed to be sad!” I said loudly. Kevin just laughed, watching me.

“I hate waiting, too.” He said softly. I groaned and leaned into him. A half hour later a nurse came in with a massive Styrofoam…cup, although I think it can be classified as a bowl.

“Alright, hon-we need you to drink this and then an hour after you’re done with it we’ll take you in for your CAT scan.” She said politely. I took it from her, wide eyed and looked at Kevin as she left.

“It’ll take me three days to drink all this!” I said exasperatedly. He laughed as he stuck the straw in for me.

“Then you better get started, princess-I have a movie to make.” He joked. I sighed and took a big sip. “Well?” He asked my verdict.

“’S’not so bad-kinda tastes like spicy lemonade.” I said, taking another large sip. I took a deep breath and sucked up some more. I wanted to drink this fast so I could get out of here. After a few more gulps I scrunched up my nose.

“What?” He asked.

“’S’not lemonade anymore.” I said, plugging my nose and taking as big a sip as I could.

After two hours of painfully drinking I was done. Now I had to wait an hour-possibly longer if they forgot about me. It’s been known to happen-this wasn’t my first time in the ER. I didn’t even make it fifteen minutes before I had to use the bathroom-good news being that my stabbing pains were barely noticeable compared to my bathroom need.

Kevin helped me down the hall to the bathroom and waited in the hall while I went. My pains had returned slightly-but they weren’t as intense as before.

An hour and a half after my bathroom trip a nurse came in and led me to the room where they were going to see what was wrong. It was even colder in this room and they made me take off my pajama pants, saying something about them interfering. They gave me another small cup of something which I downed quickly, handing the cup back to them. I was extremely uncomfortable at being half naked in a room full of people as they made me lay on the ice cold table.

They moved the table through a large plastic ring, which I assumed was taking pictures of my insides. They finished that, let me put my pants back on and led me back to the room with Kevin. I waited until they left again to make violent, angry gestures at the door.

“Really?” Kevin asked, bemused, glad to see I was feeling a little better.

“That room was painfully cold and they made me take off my pants!” I fumed. “Bunch of lazy, sick, sadistic perverts.” I mumbled. He laughed.

We waited another two hours before an actual doctor came in to see us.

“Well, it’s safe to say your appendix is not in any danger.” He said, chuckling. I clenched my fists as Kevin spoke up.

“So what is wrong?” He asked before I could make any rude comments.

“She has a cyst on her left ovary. Now-it’s about average size, so that’s alright. And usually the body will take care of it all by itself.” He said.

“How?” I asked.

“Well, often times, it will be absorbed by the body. Yours should go away.” He said. “But in the mean time I’ll write you a prescription for Advil Liquid Gels. They work best against the pain. And we don’t want to mask the pain in case the body doesn’t absorb it and the cyst ruptures.” He said calmly. My eyes widened in horror.

“Does that happen often?” Kevin asked. The doctor shook his head.

“Not with one this size. Just don’t do any heavy lifting, or twist and turn too much.”

“Oh.”

“So, here’s the prescription. Four every six hours and gradually decrease until you don’t need it at all.” He said pleasantly. Kevin nodded, taking the paper.

“Thank you, doctor.” He said, shaking his hand. The doctor walked us to the main desk and we left for the car.

I slid into the passenger seat as my stomach grumbled. I rubbed my belly as Kevin looked at me.

“How you feeling, kid?” He asked.

“Hungry, actually.” I admitted. He laughed.

“Subway?” He guessed.

“If you don’t mind.” I smiled.

“Of course not, baby.” We pulled out of the parking lot, the only sound was the pur of the engine.

“Do you miss her?” I asked quietly, knowing he’d know who I was talking about.

“Very much.” He said softly. “But I see a lot of her in you.” He said glancing at me.

“Really?” I asked, surprised.

“Yup.”

“Like what?” I asked.

“Like her under lying beauty. That is to say-the beauty of her personality. She was bold, never afraid to try new things.” He said.

“Doesn’t sound like me.” I said, confused.

“You’re more like her than you know. I’ve never known you to back down from something, if it’s truly what you believe in. You’d do anything to defend a friend.” He said and I realized he was listing the things Kelsey and I had in common. “You’re incredibly beautiful inside and out, and it’s something only people who are willing to try can see. Not to mention you’re unbelievably clumsy in a graceful sort of way.” I laughed-talk about your oxymoron.

“You’re on crack.” I said. “Kelsey was clumsy, too?” I added.

“Oh yes. The first time I saw her was when she tripped into the audition room.” He laughed. “It was endearing.”

“It was probably because she saw how incredibly good looking you are and she got all nervous.” I said.

“I don’t know what I did to deserve her,” He mused. “But I’m an incredibly lucky guy. She gave me the time of day, and now it’s like I’ve got her in my life once more.” He said, taking my hand.

“I don’t know what I would have done without you, Mags.” He whispered. I brushed the tears out of my eyes.

“Like wise.” I said. He grinned impishly at me as we pulled into the lot to get subway.