I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Seven: Gymnastics-It’s not called gym-nice-tics

I pretty much avoided Jackson for the rest of the day. Even thinking about how he would never be mine made me want to burst into tears. I skipped going to dinner that night and instead just made a chicken and noodle bowl, adding a little sour cream and parmesan cheese for the topping. I barely ate any of it before going up to my room. I turned on my laptop, surfed the net for a bit, checked on my packages-they should be arriving tomorrow, and I went to the Victoria’s Secret website. I found my favorite perfume and ordered it along with some new unmentionables.

I checked my email and shut off the computer, climbing into bed, not anxious for tomorrow. For once-I didn’t want to see Jackson.

I woke up incredibly early the next morning-I guess I had gotten enough sleep. I got ready and left with Kevin. I went straight to the library, figuring I was best out of the way there.

Eventually I got bored and went to get a bag of chips out of the vending machine. I was focusing on putting the money in and pressing the right buttons so I didn’t hear anyone near me.

“Chips aren’t such a good breakfast.” I heard Jackson’s perfect voice say softly, very close to my ear. I jumped, clutching my chest. He let out a sweet laugh.

“Sorry.” He mumbled, retrieving the chips I had dropped.

“Thanks.” I said quietly, avoiding his luscious eyes. I wasn’t so keen on flirting with him now that I was aware he had a girlfriend.

“You ok?” He asked, trying to get me to look at him.

“Yeah.” I sighed.

“Yeah, sure, liar.” He chuckled. “See, there’s this little thing called telling the truth-you should try it.” He smirked. I sighed and rounded to face him, stopping dead. He wanted the truth? Fine. He looked at me.

“I’m really bummed because my ex-boyfriend was supposed to come visit me but he lied to me to bail on me.” I said. He paused.

“Ex-boyfriend?” He repeated.

“Yes. And I really wanted him to come see me.” I said and started to walk again, leaving him standing there. He skipped to catch up with me.

“Who broke up with whom?” He asked, watching me.

“He broke up with me.” I sighed.

“And you didn’t want him to?” He guessed.

“No.” I said, then added in my head ‘not at the time.'

“I’m sorry.” He said. “I bet if he could see you now he would totally regret letting you go.” I looked at him.

“Really? You think so?” I asked.

“I know I would.” He said and I could hear the honesty in his voice. I blew out a sigh. He’s just teasing me now. I liked it better when I didn’t know he had a girlfriend.

“Thanks, Jackson.” I said. He bumped my arm with his gently. “So what’s your girlfriend’s name?” I asked, not exactly caring. She could be friggin…Madonna and I’d still wish she’d jump off a cliff.

“Cara.” He said, a strange tone to his sweet voice.

“How long have you two been dating?” I asked, almost choking on the words.

“About two years.” He said.

“Long time.” I commented.

“Tell me about it.” He said, rolling his eyes. I laughed and he cracked a smile. “So why was your ex coming to see you?” He asked.

“My birthday.” I sighed.

“When is it?” He asked wide-eyed.

“Two days after Thanksgiving.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” He gasped.

“I did! Oh, wait. No-you weren’t there.” I said, remembering.

“Where?” He asked, confused.

“At my house with the others when I made the riggies.” I said.

“Oh.”

“But I told the others no presents. That was the only way I’d tell them.” I said, turning to look at him.

“But you didn’t tell me that-so technically-I can get you presents.” He smirked.

“Jackson-no! I don’t want anything.” I whined. We had reached the library.

“I already know what I’m getting you-deal with it.” He smiled. I stuck out my tongue. “Cute.” He said.

“Uh-huh.” He looked over my shoulder.

“What are you reading this time?” He asked.

“The Count of Monte Cristo.” I said. It was one of my favorites. He raised an eyebrow at me. “What?” I asked.

“Any good?” He asked.

“Every time.” I answered.

“How many times have you read it?” He asked, chuckling.

“About five.” I said, shrugging. “I love it.”

“I can see that.” He laughed. “Well, I’ll let you get back to reading about Edmond Dantes and his twisted plot for Revenge.” He smiled.

“Thanks.” He turned away and I went back over to the couch.

I read for a little while longer before I heard Taylor and Mike talking and walking towards the library. They peaked in as they passed and backed into the room, Mike making a beeping noise, like a truck backing up.

“Hey, pretty lady.” He greeted once he stopped making the beeps.

“Hey, yourself.” I greeted as Taylor dropped next to me, his arm on the back of the couch behind me.

“Good book.” Mike commented, pointing to the Count of Monte Cristo. I smiled.

“I know. So what are you two doing?” I asked.

“Just walking around.” Taylor said. “Come with us.” He prompted, looking at me. I smiled, stretching-a small squeak escaping as I did. He laughed. “Too cute.” He mumbled.

“I don’t wanna walk.” Taylor stood up in front of me, offering me his hand.

“You don’t have to.” I stood up on the couch and he hoisted me up on his back. I wrapped my arms loosely around his neck, careful not to choke him.

“Mike, can you grab my wallet out of my purse? I’m getting thirsty.” I said.

“Um…” He hesitated.

“Leave it, Mike.” Taylor said, heading for the door.

“Taylor!” I whined. He just laughed.

“Now-when you say thirsty-do you mean like…Twilight thirsty?” He joked.

“Yes!” I laughed and lightly bit the side of his neck.

“You shouldn’t tempt him like that.” Mike said. I laughed.

“Shut up!” Taylor hissed. I rested my chin on his shoulder, my cheek touching his. I lightly kissed his cheek and he smiled a little. We reached the vending machines and I jumped off his back as he pulled out his wallet.

“Do I get to pick?” He asked. I nodded.

“Sure-just nothing orange or lemon.” I said, scrunching up my nose. He chuckled. Mike was in between me and the glass of the vending machine looking over my shoulder. He casually stepped to the other side of Taylor to lean against the wall and I saw Kellan with his stupid football in the reflection. I pretended not to notice as he threw it at me and just as it was about to hit me I turned and caught it. Jackson clapped and Kellan just stared at me. I gripped it in my right hand and threw it back as hard as I could. It caught him square in the chest and I turned around to Taylor who was watching. He held his hand up for a high five as Kellan and Jackson came closer, Kellan rubbing his chest.

“I thought you were left handed.” Mike said, confused.

“I am.” I said, leaving it at that. Kellan slung an arm around my shoulder.

“Marry me?” He said. I just laughed as he kissed my cheek. Taylor handed me my root beer and I smiled at him. “That hurt even more than the last time.”

“Thanks.” He nodded as Ashley ran up to us and jumped on Kellan’s back.

“Guys-they’re setting up a gymnastics court in the gym. The floor mats, uneven bars-everything. We should go check it out.” She said excitedly. “Rob, Kristen, Nikki and Cam are already there.” She said. I hopped on Taylor’s back again with Mike’s help and we headed off for the gym. Great. This really sucks.

We reached the gym just as the crew was leaving. I slid off Taylor’s back as he stepped forward. He barely turned to make sure I was still standing before joining the others. I hung back, watching as Kristen and Nikki did cartwheels. Rob came over and hugged me to his chest from behind.

“You ok?” He whispered. I nodded. “You don’t have to be here.”

“I’m ok.” I said. “I used to do this stuff.” I said quietly. “My mom signed Monica and I up together. I did it until I was about nine.”

“What happened?” He asked.

“I fell off the upper bar, broke my right arm, my nose and got a concussion.” I said. He kissed the back of my head.

“Only you.” He chuckled. All of the guys were taking turns doing handstands and showing off.

“Maggie! It’s your turn.” Mike called.

“Not such a good idea.” Taylor said. I bit my lip-I really wanted to try. Now that I was in the room again, I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it, even after all this time.
“I want to.” I whispered. Rob let me go.

“Go for it.” He said softly, pushing me forward gently. I tripped over the mat and Kellan shook his head.

“Rob-are you crazy? The poor girl can barely walk!” He called. I was glad I had worn stretchy pants today. I set my soda down and focused on the training I remembered as I reached the corner of the mat. Kellan covered his eyes for a second but dropped his hands to watch anyways.

“You might wanna move.” I said to everyone. They quickly were out of my way as I took a deep breath, my nerves acting up. ‘I can do this.’ I thought.

I started running across the mat, did two round offs and a handless round off. I landed perfectly in the opposite corner, dropping my hands to my side as I turned around. My face turned bright red as I realized everyone was staring at me. Rob started clapping as Kellan picked me over in a big bear hug.

“What else can you do?” He asked as everyone else got over their shock and joined in clapping. “The beam?” He asked.

“The only thing I can do on the beam is jump on the spring board to get up there and one trick.” I laughed.

“Uneven bars?” He asked. I shook my head.

“Not going there after last time.” I said quietly.

“Well?” He prompted. I sighed-he wasn’t giving up.

“Fine.” I walked over and stood at the end of the long runway in front of the vault. I took a deep breath as I tried to block out everyone watching me. I gathered my speed, jumped on the spring board, both my hands touched the horse and I did a flip, twisting perfectly and landing just right. I straightened out my posture and turned to see everyone watching. Kevin was standing next to Rob, grinning. I skipped over to him, unable to stop my smile. I threw my arms around his neck excitedly, forgetting everyone else was there.

“I didn’t break anything this time!” I squeaked excitedly.

“I know, I saw.” I let go and took a few calming breaths. “I told you-you just had to get back on the horse.” He said.

“This horse sucks. I’m done with it, thanks.” I said cheekily. Everyone laughed at me.

“Actually, guys, we have to stop for today. A team is coming in to practice.” Kevin said.

“Alright.” Rob said, speaking for everyone else. Kevin left followed by the girls. The guys all headed for the door, but I stopped to glare at the uneven bars, catching Jackson’s attention. He stopped, as did Kellan and Rob. They all turned to see what I was doing. I walked over to the chalk stand and clapped some powder on my hands before picking up the grips, lying on the floor next to it. I clapped on more chalk and started for the bars.

“Maggie-“ Rob started. I glanced at him before going to stand in front of the lowest bar. I took a deep breath as I heard Kellan as why Rob wanted to stop me. I didn’t listen to the answer as I jumped up, getting a decent grip on the bar. I did the routine that I did when I got hurt. I spun on the bars, faintly wondering what I had been so scared about back then. I didn’t make one mistake and I felt a rush of adrenaline. I dismounted perfectly and closed my eyes, triumphant. I pulled off the grips and dropped them next to the chalk powder. I looked at the boys.

“Ok-“ I sniffed. “We can go now.” I said, walking past them.

“You’re going to be the death of me.” Rob sighed. I grabbed my soda, walking more gracefully than I had in years.

“I’m sorry, Rob-it was just something I had to do.” I said quietly.

“You did it well.” Kellan said. I smiled at him.

“Thanks.” I said quietly. “That was the routine I was doing when I got hurt.” I said. “Kevin went with me to the hospital. My parents stayed to watch Monica.” I sighed.

“Monica’s your sister?” Jackson asked.

“Twin.” I said quietly.

“Where-?” He started.

“Someone else will have to explain it later.” I said, cutting him off. “I don’t really wanna think about it.” I said softly.

“Alright.” He said, confused.