The Greatest Love Of All.

Who Will I Be?

“Dad, would you like to finish to clean up for today?”

“It’s ok sweetheart, go home and relax. Thanks for helping me out”

He gave me a quick kiss on my forehead and then smiled. The signs of his oldness were about to show up, but in his 50 years old, my dad always looked good for me. Have you ever heard about the ‘Edipo’s Syndrome’? When I was a little girl, about the 6 or 7 years of age, I used to look at my dad as the perfect man I wanted to be with once I grew up.

He have always been a good looking man, smart and kind. I know now why my mum felt in love with him. I wanted to find someone as nice as him, but you know what? I suck at relationships. I actually never had a proper one. I think it’s because I’m too shy, or maybe because boys basically do what they want.

I mean, I had a few stories, but they ended after like 3 weeks, mostly because the guy was a jerk and I bored myself to death. I needed to find someone who really was worth to cry for, do you know what I mean? Someone who really wanted to be with me, and someone I would have done everything for. I have never found a guy who deserved the butterflies in my stomach, my tears, my laughter, my total and unconditional love, and all those bunch of crap they sell you on those romantic teenage movies my best friend Madison liked so much. I won’t say that I don’t believe in love. I never tried it, so I can’t really judge. My parents are happily married, Madison is dating Hunter since I remember…I mean, I have full proof of the existence of love under my sight, I can’t deny it. I’m just waiting for the moment love will show at my door, with red roses in one hand and a box of chocolate candies in the other, dressed up elegantly and with a big smile on the face. Love will tell me that she’s ready to give me my prince charming and I will choose the guy I like the best. Yeah, this is the way it should be. But it isn’t. Not that I needed a boyfriend that much; I liked my single status, and sometimes when Madison has a fight with Hunter I’m really glad I don’t have such problems. But when they walk together, hand in hand, fingers entwined, I’m a little envious.

Every girl dreams of the perfect boyfriend, and of course that I do too, sometimes. I’m a dreamer. Always have been. I like to close my eyes and imagine a world of my own, where everything’s the way I want it to be. Maybe I’m a bit childish…but who cares. I like to dream of what I will be in ten years.

And then the question is: what would I like to become? Everyone ask this when you’re a little girl, and most of the time, the girl say ‘I want to be a vet!’. Well, I didn’t, 15 years ago. When my mum asked me that question, I told her that I wanted to be a journalist, mostly a music critic. I wanted to interview musicians, artists, writers…people who dealt with art every day. I had my ideas focused on it since I read my first issue of Alternative Press Magazine at the age of 6. My dad sells books, so it’s pretty obvious I started reading at an early age. I love to read. I love to write. It’s like I’m destined to be a journalist.

When I got back home from my dad’s shop -20.000 leagues through Sutton’s books- I ran up to my room immediately, without even say hi to mum. I impatiently checked my mail to finally find the answer of the admission office at UCLA. I didn’t tell anyone of my project to start college in the fall, because I figured my parents reaction: they would probably die. I’m just a normal girl from Arizona who never travelled even outside the country, who would have guessed that I had the dream to become someone that important?

My parents loved the fact I didn’t choose to go to college after Senior Year: while all my friends received the letters of admission, I was already working with my dad. I’ve never done something selfish in my life, and now I regretted it. I didn’t want to regret this too, someday. That’s why I’m doing this secretly: my parents wouldn’t approve. They needed me home. They needed me to carry on the legacy of our shop.

“One day, this will be yours”

My dad said once. And I had to hide my real feelings, to show him a fake smile.
I loved my mum and dad, they always treated me like their princess, but now that I’m 21 I feel the need to do something for myself. And this something means, go to college and try to become a critic. I was the president of the school paper in high school. Is it a good start, isn’t it?

“Dear Ms. Sutton,
The University of California Los Angeles thanks you for the interest of an eventual registration in our college. As for the questions you asked us, I can tell you for sure that there is still the possibility of becoming a student here. You just have to send us your school curriculum along with the application form that shows what faculty and major would you want to apply to and a letter of presentation including the reasons why we should choose you over other students. As soon as we receive your letter, we will contact you to tell you the result.
In order to talk to you soon again,
Have a nice day
Mrs. Alloy
Admission Office
UCLA”


I smiled and read the mail once again. I was determined to do all the necessary to fulfill my dream. I would have moved to Los Angeles even without the consent of my parents. I didn’t need that. I was an adult, I was old enough to make my own destiny. I didn’t want to become a sad forty years old woman who didn’t do what she wanted to and who complained about her life. I wanted to be someone.
I wanted to be special. And most of all, I wanted to be special for someone.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is the first chapter. It isn't that long, and it is just a little introduction to the main charachter. You will have to wait some more chapters to see John, but don't worry he will show up soon. Tell me what you think about it, I really would appreciate it, even if this chapter may be a little boring cause nothing really happens...! So...let me know if you liked it ok?
xxxx