Status: Active?

Halloween Head

8

Joel didn’t go to school with us. He went to the only other high school in the small town of Tempe. Today was Monday and I had to face Garrett. I hadn’t talked to anyone yesterday. I had slept in the studio until seven, got up, went through a shitload of texts and voicemails from everyone, ate a carton of ben and jerry’s and took some pill my dad gave me and didn’t wake up until the next morning where I sifted through the dirty clothes pile in the studio next to my dads and found a pair of jean shorts, slipped them on and drove to school.

I pulled up to the school late and ran to my first period class. “Ms. Adams.” The teacher frowned. “Why are you late?” She asked as I stuck my hand in the back of my hair that I should have brushed.

“I um, I was at the studio with my dad and um, it’s far and I uh heh, long night.” I stuttered slouching a little she nodded and handed me a worksheet. I took this as my que to sit down. I walked down the aisle and it wasn’t until then that I noticed Garrett who was staring at me, he looked like he hadn’t slept in days, his hair was knotted and messy, my eyes met his as I sat down and something hit me like a brick. I saw everything in his eyes. They weren’t the normal bright blue that lit up my mornings, but more of a dull gray color that was outlined with red. The area around them was dark and I couldn’t pull my attention from them.

This was surely going to be the most awkward day I would ever have to do. All I honestly wanted to do was go home, lock the basement door and play left 4 dead until I myself turned into a Zombie. When the bell rang Garrett stood and was the first one out of the class. I on the other hand was the last. I wanted to say something to him but didn’t know what to say, “Sorry?” no, I had nothing to apologize for. I shook my head and walked down the hall to math. I luckily had Pat in this class.

“Ambey!” Pat yelled from his spot. Garrett was sitting with his back to the door and turned to face me when Pat yelled. I smiled to him and sat down at my place across the room. I could always count on Pat to be excited to see me, even if I looked like shit and fucked up to the highest extent. Pat still smiled and yelled my name.

Instead of enduring the lunchroom and the awkwardness of Garrett sitting back at the table with us I decided to eat in my car. I drove to in-n-out and got a milkshake and returned to the school turning the radio on I grabbed a water bottle of Jack from under the back seat and poured some in, mixing it and putting the lid back on. Neil Young came through the stereo and I laughed at how ironic it was. Neil Young was what brought Garrett and me together and now, everything meant nothing at all.

I listened to the bell ring and turned my car off and got out of the car slowly walking to the building. I made my way through the halls everyone was so much bigger now. I had always been on the small side, being only 5 foot tall and my hair tangled down to my lower back only made me seem smaller. But now I couldn’t keep my eyes on anything but the floor.

“Ambey!” Someone shouted from in front of me. I looked up and came face to face with Kennedy.

“Hey.” I mumbled trying to move past him.

“Where were you at lunch?” I looked around and leaned against a set of lockers.

“I went to in-n-out.” I shrugged as he nodded.

“So are you okay, I mean, you kinda look like you got hit by a car.” He said walking with me towards my class.

“I’m fine. Thanks Kenny, but I have to go.” I mumbled walking into my science class.

I walked in and took my regular seat next to Garrett who was unfortunately my lab partner. He shifted in his seat before turning to me and opening his mouth then closing it again. I watched him from the corner of my eye while he did it several times.

“I think you should come to my house after school.” Garrett mumbled.
♠ ♠ ♠
woo hoo I think yall will like the next chapter;)