Dancing In The Rain

miserable .

As I walked home I looked up at the bright blue sunny sky. The sun was shining down brightly making a beautiful reflection on the pond that I was passing by. Just a few clouds in the sky. Sigh.

I walked up my driveway and stepped into my air conditioned house and out of the blazing heat outside. The aroma of spaghetti filled the air along with the sound of a crying baby. I drop my bookbag at the door and headed for the stairs.

"Hey sweetie, how was your day at school? Just another miserable day?" Mom said, holding the baby in one arm and cooking with the other.

"You know me so well." I try to hurry up the stairs to avoid any more conversation. I'm already halfway up the stairs and mom stops me.

"Hey, please watch your little brother while I cook, please? Just until I'm done cooking." Mom was at the foot of the stairs waiting for me.

Ugh. I take the baby and head up the stairs towards my room. "Thank you!" Mom called.

"Yeah, yeah." I muttered. I entered my bedroom and closed the door behind me and placed the baby on the bed. Thank God he's not crying anymore.

I reach under my pillow and pull out my journal. I turn to a blank page and start to write.

Dad,

Today was the last day of school. Woo hoo? Whatever. Everyday is the same anyway. Summer is just going to be as boring as being in school.

Well, I'm stuck with baby Lyle again. No surprise there. Sigh. It's sunny outside. It's sunny and hot and I don't think there's going to be any chance of rain. You know I really wish that you were here, but you probably already knew that. Ha.

Mom wants to know what I'm going to be doing this summer. I told her that I'm going to lock myself in my room and rot away from boredom and depression. She laughed. I didn't. Only because that's what's probably going to happen.

If you were here, we'd be packing and getting ready to go canoeing at the lake. But you're not here, so we're not doing that. Sigh.

The baby's spitting up again. All over my bed. Great.

I love you.

Julie.

P.S. Wouldn't it be great for Lyle to know you? It sucks that he's going to have to grow up not knowing who his father is.

P.P.S. We're having spaghetti tonight. Your favorite food.


I place the journal under my pillow and pick up the baby and let him crawl around on the floor. Poor Lyle.
♠ ♠ ♠
You like? (: