Status: Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing. :]

Tattooed & Famous

ganpa

Penelope smiled as she took notice of Jake holding Caden by the straps of the little boy’s denim jumper. Caden was pouting with arms crossed tightly over his chest at the idea of going home. He wanted to stay with Jake for another day.

“You’re going to leave me all alone?” Penelope teased him as he kept huffing and puffing at the idea of going home. Jake laughed holding him out to her.

“I believe the monster belongs to you.” He beamed as Penelope took the upset boy. “Don’t worry.” Jake ruffled Caden’s growing hair. “I’ll hang out later. It’s not like you’ll never see me again.” Caden turned away from him and tucked himself into his mother chest.

“You act like you don’t want him to go hiking with us.” Caden looked up at his mother then at Jake slowly. “Do you not want him to go?” she asked gently.

Jake leaned in lightly to hear his answer. To him it felt as if he’d done something wrong and destroyed everything he’d built up with Caden, and if he had that meant he couldn’t even keep a three-year-old happy and interested. No wonder his relationships never worked out.

“We go hike?” Caden whispered surprised. One full day with Jake then the next day hiking? How much better could his life be?

“In a few days when Jake gets a day off.” Penelope stated as Jake chuckled at the look Caden was throwing between the two adults.

“When day?”

“I find out today.” Jake ruffled the little boy’s hair. “You’ll know later today when I get home.” Pursing his lips Caden nodded lightly. “I’ll see you two later.” Nudging Caden’s cheek with his fist he laughed at the boy’s giggles. Waving at Penelope he headed to his car.

Licking her lips she gently shut the door and set Caden down on the ground. The little boy took off across the house and right outside. Puffing at the sight of the energetic little boy she began stretching her arms out and cracking her neck. Ready to endure the chasing, beatings, and whatever else Caden was going to throw her way.

Jogging outback she slowed down at the sight of him rolling cart wheels. Laughing gently she sat down in one of the deck chairs just watching him. a smile lingered on her features as she watched him playing.

The insensitive ringing of her cell phone a groan left her lips. With great disgust she stood up and wandered into the house to find the small device sent from hell to torture her at insane times of day and night.

Scooping it up off the counter she quickly answered it.

“Yes?” She grumbled into it annoyed. Blowing a piece of hair out of her eyes she shifted her jaw annoyed at the voice on the other end. “How’d you get my number?” She sighed gently. “I thought you knew how to do that?” She hissed at the woman on the other end. “Fine, but I don’t do my own rates, talk to Spielberg.” Hanging up she quickly opened a text message to the named man and violently pressed the touch screen buttons letting him know he was charging the horrify woman double for the smallest of tasks and she was probably going to add a few that didn’t need t to be done.

“Caden.” Penelope mused as her feet took her back outside. Humming the little boy threw dirt up into the air, letting his rain down on his head. She smiled at his giggling dirty form. “We have to go work.” She whispered as his caramel eyes focused on her.

“Oh.” He pouted still digging in the dirt.

“Come on.” She whistled for the dogs to follow. There was no way she was going to downtown L.A. with him in the back seat and simply leave him in the car with no protection. “Yeah, fuck that.” She whispered at the idea.

Caden made grabby hands for his mother to pick him up once he was at her feet. Scooping the growing boy up she headed out to the drive way.

“I’m sorry.” She whispered as she buckled him into his car seat. Caden simply nodded. “We’ll go to the park afterwards.”

“Pwom’is?” He whispered sadly.

“Pinky promise.” She smiled with her pinky held out to the small boy. Giggling he took her pinky in his and settle back into his car seat. “Alright boy, load.” Both dogs jumped into the car.

“Finally.” The skinny woman huffed at her. Penelope ignored her and checked all four windows. Nodding at all four down she unbuckled Caden. “Hell-o. My car isn’t running.”

“Hell-o I don’t care.” Penelope snapped back. “Be good.” She pointed at Caden closing her door and popping the truck. “Protect.”

Grabbing her things she ignored the nagging raging women. Penelope took her time, checking things she knew weren’t the problem to wrack of a bill. She was following a very deep saying her Father had taught her: Stick and stones may break bones, but a sky high bill will make any man cry. That rule was always left in reserve for those who treated her as if an ignorant slave or just like crap.

Heavy barking snapped through the woman’s intensive bitching. Spinning she sighed.

“Auto, Zeus, down! Dude!” She waved a hand at the guy laying on the ground by her car. “Don’t touch the car okay?” Walking over she lifted him up. “You okay?” Nodding slowly he swallowed nervously.

“I was just looking. I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine. They’re pretty protective dogs.” She sighed. The kid nodded slowly. “Run along before they eat you.” With that she moved back to the broken down car.

Heaving a heavy sigh she leaned back over the open engine bay and stared in at the parts before her. Quickly moving to the clearly stated problem she fixed it and cleaned up. With a text to her boss of all the ‘hard work’ she’d done she bid the bitch of a woman good bye.

“Park?” Caden asked as his mother strapped him back into his car seat.

“Yup.” Penelope smiled at him. She listened to him clap and squeal with delight.

Rushing through the grass Caden ran straight for the playground. Penelope followed him slowly watching the other little kids running around. For a weekday there were plenty of children running around to keep Caden occupied.

Easing onto the bench she smiled down at Auto sitting next to her while Zeus followed Caden around playing with the other children. A faint smile on her features as she watched joy beyond anything she could even imagine possible grace his features. The other kids seemed just as pleased and happy with torturing small bugs, playing with Zeus and throwing sand at each other.

“Jean!” Caden screamed rushing at a little girl and tattling her into the sand. Penelope grimaced at the two toppling to the ground and slid forward in her seat.

“Caden! Be nice.” Penelope called nervously. Hoping, praying a cranky housewife wasn’t going to rush over and tear her a new one. That was something she could do with out.

“Don’t worry she’ll push him down later.” Penelope spun looking at a woman easing her way onto the bench. “Besides I think that’s her new best friend.” The woman laughed. “They played all yesterday.” Penelope blinked. This was the park Jake took him too?

“Really?” Penelope gasped surprised.

“You’re husband didn’t tell you that?” The woman blinked surprised.

“Oh, no they had their day together and both passed out when they got home.” Penelope stated simply.

“Ah, well I haven’t been able to stop Jean from asked when she gets to play with Caden next.” Penelope laughed.

Caden had never really had friends. Only a few of the kids on the block and she didn’t trust half of them with him or in her house. It was nice to know he had a nice friend to play with.

“Well she’s welcome to play with him when ever she wants.” Penelope stated.

“I’m Marie.” The woman stuck her hand out. Penelope eyed it with a warily smile

“Penelope, but…” She held up her dirty hands. “Just got off work.” She stated simply. Marie nodded pulling her hand back disgusted. “Sorry.” Penelope turned back to the kids. She honestly could careless if she shook the woman’s hand or if she was offended by the fact she hadn’t.

“It’s fine. I understand.” Marie smiled genuinely. “I’m amazed she made a friend. You and your husband are doing an amazing job raising him.” Penelope smiled watching the two play in the sandbox.

Jean pushed another boy over glaring at him for destroying the small building her and Caden had been making.

“I think you’re doing an amazing job raising her too.” Penelope laughed a Marie yelled at Jean to play nice. The two mothers laughed as they watched their children play.

Penelope let Caden play for several hours, just running around, making new friends, terrorizing Zeus and Auto with other kids – finally having strength in numbers to over power the large dogs, and playing on the jungle gym.

“Why hello…” Penelope jumped at the voice. Spinning to face the man he pushed her over on the bench. “I was wondering where you two were.” He laughed down at her.

“You scared the living hell out of me dad.” Penelope placed a hand on her chest. The older man blinked startled by the response. “Jesus.” She huffed a bit annoyed.

“Well I love you too.” He pouted looking away from his daughter. “I thought I’d come over and say hello since it’s your day off.” Patting his leg she took several deep breaths to calm her racing heart. The older man smiled down at his daughter proudly. “Ps. I win.” He teased pushing her to the side.

“Dad.” Penelope groaned pushing him back

“What.” He whined back like a toddler.

“You’re worse than Caden.” Penelope laughed up at her dad. He pouted.

“I pride myself on that.” He pointed his nose in the air playfully.

“Gan’pa!” Caden rushed towards the bench, throwing himself in the man’s lap. Grunting at the sudden weight he dipped his arms around the small boy. “Hi Gan’pa.” Caden breathed up at the white haired man.

“Hi Caden.” He stated simply watching as the little boy beamed at. “You making friends?” Caden nodded vigorously. “Where’s this Jake kid you told me about?” He pressed as Penelope spun looking confused. How her father knew about Jake was beyond her. She hadn’t talked to him in two weeks when, before Jake came over to introduce himself.

“How do you know about Jake?” Penelope asked. The two permanent men her life spun to look at her.

“He told me about him last week when I called.” Her Father stated simply.

“You called?”

“You didn’t tell her I called?” He gasped down at the grinning boy. Caden’s mouth floundered lightly at the thought.

“Mommy, Gan’pa called last week.” With that Caden took off back towards Jean and the rest of the children.

Placing a hand on her forehead Penelope laughed gently as her father roared with laughter. Slapping him in the arm she sucked in a deep breath to calm herself.

“I knew I loved that.” He smiled.

“I knew you dropped him on his head when he was a baby.” Penelope countered. Watching him closely as he froze he gave a nervous laugh.

“It was your mother.” Looking away he coughed awkwardly while rubbing his neck. Laughing Penelope patted his shoulder. “It was your brother? Shit. I mean sister?”

“You suck at this.” Penelope shook her head.

“Atleast we know where you get it from.”

“Don’t make me hit you.” Penelope grumbled as she turned back to watching Caden play. The two Miller’s sat on the bench in silence watching the little boy, making small conversation and letting the day continue peacefully.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank for reading. It means alot.