Status: Thank you for reading, commenting, and subscribing. :]

Tattooed & Famous

Biting

Caden smiled at his mother walking in and made grabby hands for her. Picking the small toddler up Penelope smiled at him, pushing his growing hair out of his face. His smile grew aw she played with his hair gently.

“Hungry?” He shook his head and clung to her. “What?” she whispered at him. “You okay?” He nodded weakly and clung tightly to his mother. “I think someone needs a story!” She sang, wandering towards the stairs. Caden smiled faintly as she climbed the stairs slowly, so she wouldn’t drop him. She gently ran her hand up and down his back, letting the threads from his wool sweater scratch her calloused hands.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” she asked gently once they’d reached his room. Caden nodded again, still not smiling. “What book?” she sighed nervously. Caden was usually all smiles unless he was sick or was upset. Setting him down, she watched him wander over to the small bookshelf and grab a book. Wandering back over to the bed, he climbed up on it and held the book up. Penelope’s eyes lingered on his forearm as the sleeve of his sweater slid down.

“What happened?” she gasped, rushing over and looking at the mark.

Whining, he pulled his arm away from her and tucked his arm back into his sleeve, not looking at her. Gently, she began to fight with him to see the large bandage the wrapped around his little forearm.

Caden…” she breathed, kneeling by the bedside. “What happened to your arm, sweetie?” Swallowing nervously she eyed his arm carefully.

“I not suppose to tell.” He whispered back just as nervously.

Frowning, Penelope looked down at the green dinosaur comforter, her finger gently began to trace a T-Rex as her bottom lip tucked between her lips. Slowly she lifted her eyes to look at him again and sighed gently.

“I can’t tell.” He stated again, holding his arm close to his chest.

“Was it an accident?” She tried simply. Caden shrugged lightly.

“I no know.” He whispered. Penelope sighed.

“Did you mean for it to happen?” Caden shook his head and frowned. “Did you do it?” He shook his head again. Licking her lips she pulled herself up onto the bed and sat next to him with a slow breath in to calm her nerves.

“I can’t tell!” He gasped as she stared him down.

“Caden.” He looked up at her warily. “If you don’t tell me what happened, I won’t let Jake babysit you in two days if you don’t tell me.” she didn’t want to hold that against him, yet he was giving her no choice but to do so.

Caden’s face dropped confused. No one had informed him of the play date.

“You know, today he offered to watch you in two days when he has the day off. I told him he could, but if you don’t tell me what happened, I won’t let him.” Penelope clarified. Caden whined at the thought. He hadn’t seen Jake in a whole week!

“But…” Caden glanced around the room a nibbled on his lips. His small hands ran over the glossy cover of his picture book. “Book first?” he tried to reason.

“Book first.” Penelope sighed gently. Moving to the head of the bed, she stretched her long legs in the small bed.

Caden passed her the book and climbed into her lap. Clinging to her slightly dirty and grease covered shirt, he watched her peel the cover open. Penelope slowly read him the book, pointing at the pictures as he did, using different voices for the characters to keep him entertained, and asked him if he wanted to read the few words he could.

They sat on his bed reading the book slowly, taking in every word and detail of its worn pages and simply relaxing in each other’s presence, as if these moments never happened. Yet, moments like this happened several times a day when Penelope wasn’t working.

“Now,” She closed the book once they had finished. Caden hid his face in his mother’s chest, breathing in her scent. “What happened?” she breathed, running a hand through his messy hair.

“I got bit.” Caden mumbled. “But I wasn’t supposed to tell, so you can’t either!” he pointed up at her with a stern look.

Penelope frowned.

Who bit you?” The rage brewing inside her chest was hard to calm as she played with his hair. Caden simply put his face back into her chest and muffled the words out. “Caden.” she warned sternly.

The three year-old whined at her,“Not suppose to tell!” he gasped. Penelope raised a brow.

“Protect your secret or hang out with Jake…?” She tried, dangling it in his face. Huffing, he sucked on his bottom lip nervously. Pouting, he glanced around the room. “And no, you can’t have another book ‘til you tell me.” Sighing deeply, he let her roll up the sleeve of his jacket to eye the small bite mark.

Shifting her weight a slow, deep, angry breath exited her flaring nostrils. Dancing her fingers over the mark, she licked her lips slowly as Caden watched her hesitantly.

“Did Alba do this?” Penelope managed to choke out. Caden simply nodded. “Who told you not to tell me?” She gasped sitting forward and holding him to her chest.

“Annie.”

“Caroline?” He nodded.

Getting up, she placed him on the bed gently and moved towards the door. Caden watched her carefully.

“Stay here.” She pointed.

“I still get to pway wif Jake, right?” He asked timidly. Penelope nodded slowly.

“If you stay in here while I talk with Aunt Caroline.” Nodding, Caden picked up his book, and opened it. His ran his hands over the glossy pictures of the monsters and small boy dancing in circles.

Rushing down the street Penelope began searching the house, finding Caroline sitting in the living room, watching TV. Placing her hands in front of her, Penelope sucked in several deep breaths trying to calm herself.

“I’m going… to kill your dog,” was all Penelope managed to choke out. Caroline spun around with wide eyes. “I’m not kidding.” She added darkly.

“She’s my dog.” Caroline stood up, holding the wiggling, yapping mutt to her chest. “She’s like my Caden.”

“Caden doesn’t bite people and he knows how to share and listen!” Penelope yelled. Caroline glared and hugged the small dog closer to her chest. “I don’t know how many times she’s bitten him! That dog should be put down! It’s classified as vicious in my book!” She pointed at the stupid little dog angrily.

“You can’t point fingers, how many people have your dogs bitten or viciously,” Caroline pointed. “Attacked?”

Penelope shifted her weight.

“Just so you know if they were attacking invaders.” Penelope pointed out. “They’re guard dogs. If they were anything less than that, the state would’ve had me put them down.” She pointed at the fuzzy rat in her sister’s arms.” You want to keep working for me at the easiest job you’ll ever have, that thing doesn’t come back over. If that’s a problem, you no longer work for me.” Caroline’s mouth dropped open at the words. “Is that a problem?”

“I’m always here! I can’t leave her at my place, that’s neglect!”

Penelope shrugged. “No offense, but I love my son and loathe your dog.” Pursing her lips, she lifted her hands at the idea. “You pick. Keeping your posh life off my dime or your annoying dog my dime probably bought.” Caroline looked down at her dog and hugged her closer to her chest.

“What if-”

“No ifs.” Penelope cut in.

Caroline sighed, lifting a hand at her. “Just let me get this out.”

Penelope placed her hands on her thick, rounded hips and watched her sister closely.

“What if I kept her in an in closed area? Away from Caden.”

“Laundry room. I see that fuzz ball, I’m killing her.” Penelope turned on her heels and headed back up the stairs.

Caden smiled weakly, holding up his book, once she entered the room. Smiling, she took the book and lay on the bed next to him. Her arms wound around his small body and pulled him into her side as she began reading the book again, trying to let her anger go away.

Bouncing on her toes she slammed her wrapped fists into the hanging bag. She didn’t duck, dive, or dodge, just slammed her curled fists into the wrapped leather bag. Sweat trickled down her body as the cool night air attacked her exposed damp skin.

“You mother fucking, son of a goddamn, little piece of…” Her fists attacked the bag with each syllable she uttered. Her teeth throbbed and ached she was clenching them so tightly.

“You always yell like that when attacking your punching bag?”

Whirling around, she glared at Jake leaning on the fence. His arms crossed along the top of the fence line as his chin rested on his arms.

“Sorry.” She breathed, pushing her hair back nervously. Pulling the messy bun she had her hair up she began to run her fingers through her hair, trying to pull it back neatly again.

“You’ve been yelling for an hour.” Jake sighed gently at her.

Penelope nodded.“I didn’t realize I was yelling. I’m sorry.” She repeated, keeping her eyes on the ground. Jake hummed gently as he shifted his weight on the fence and watched her closely. “Just letting out my anger in a good place instead of on someone who doesn’t deserve it.”

“Sounds like a good plan.” He mused gently. “Wanna talk about it?”

“I was yelling about it, if you missed that.” She laughed, still running her hands through her hair. It didn’t want to cooperate with her at the moment she really wanted to it. Being all nasty, sweaty, and smelly in front of him was bad enough, but to have hair sticking up in different directions being slicked with sweat.

“I just heard swearing, I didn’t hear any reason as to why.” Pulling himself higher up on the fence, he watched her closer.

Shifting nervously, Penelope glanced at her dark house before at him.

“I know we don’t know each other all that well, but I don’t bite and I’m a pretty good listener.” He tried.

“I’m debating if I should put Caden in a daycare or let my sister keep her evil dog locked in the laundry room, which I’m sure she won’t do, and have her continue to watch Caden.” Penelope shrugged before turning and punching the bag several times.

“What happened exactly?” Jake asked.

“You’re worse than the neighbor on Home Improvement.” Jake’s brows furrowed at the statement. “It’s a TV show with Tim Allen…never mind.” She sighed heavily. Jake nodded lightly.

“I’ll look it up.” He whispered.

“He got bit again. I don’t know why, this time I didn’t ask. That makes it at least ten or more times.” She whispered, keeping her distance from him.

“Well.” Jake sighed. I don’t have a problem watching him and if you sent him to daycare, he could make other friends.” He tried.

Groaning she ran her hands over her face at his words. “But I never know when I work so I could be home, possibly spending time with him and he’s at daycare and knowing my luck. I’ll pick him up and I’ll have to take him right back.” She gasped. Jake climbed over the fence.

“Calm down.” He whispered gently walking over to her. “Calm down.” Penelope moved away from him. “Okay.” He hushed with his hands raised gently and stopped where he was. “I don’t know what you want me to say, but maybe I’ve got a plan.”

She raised a brow at him warily.

“What if he only went to day care once or twice a week? The rest of the time he could go with you if possible or you could get a different baby sitter. That way there is no biting dog, time spent together, and he’s making friends. I can’t be his only friend.” He shrugged lightly, hands lifting towards his shoulders exaggeratedly. “Though it does make me feel special.” He laughed.

Penelope worried the corner of her mouth, mulling his words over. Sighing she walked over to him, wrapping her arms around his middle. Both melted into the others touch, enjoying the warmth they gave off and how they molded together.

“Thank you.”

“It’s what I’m here for.” Jake laughed deeply. “Is he okay?”

Penelope nodded, rested her head on his shoulder. “I had to read Where the Wild Things Are four times before he was happy again.”

Jake laughed. “I loved that book.”

She sighed. “So does he.”

Jake nodded. “You going to be okay?”

She nodded, stepping back. “Sorry.” She whispered, realizing she’d hugged him without asking, invading his personal bubble. Jake laughed and pulled her back into him, rubbing her back soothingly.

“Sometimes, hugs work better than throwing punches.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to thebirdsandthesky for editing this. :]