‹ Prequel: Love the Leaves
Status: comments and subscriptions appreciated :)

Lost, Lost, Lost

In Between Laces

It was a humid morning day in July. I reminisced about April for a bit, then lingered on to May. The hospital stay... two weeks in hell. Seemed like it was literally, too. I thought about Seth, mostly. Chris hadn't called since we left the hell hole, so my mind wasn't really focused on that, although it kind of hurt that he hadn't had the chance to call me. Didn't he like me? Maybe he was still in rehab...

My thoughts switched to Seth. Where was he? How was he doing? Was he alright? I thought about our rendezvous at the hospital and even before the hospital. They were amazing in so many ways but so confusing at the same time.

I sighed and sat at the kitchen table, next to the window that showed me my backyard. It was kind of beautiful, with the small rocks and waterfall. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as my heart started pounding and floating up, up, up through my neck and out through my nose and ears. I smelled love and heard love and when I looked out the window there was a hooded boy in the middle of my backyard.

I jumped out of my seat, scared, and finally peeked through the blinds to see who it was. I couldn't tell with the shadow clouding his face. I slowly opened the back door and walked outside, a couple yards away from where he was standing.

He lowered his hood, and I saw the brown hair that I missed touching, the big brown eyes that I remember floating inside, the thin lips I used to melt my lips into. It was Seth. I felt my eyes watering up as he opened his arms for a hug.

At first I hesitantly walked toward him, my hands shaking. But soon I got more comfortable and ran to jump in his awaiting arms. He held me tighter than he had ever done before and nuzzled his face into my neck. I moved his head back and kissed every part of his face, licking up his tears and kissing his eyelids as his brown eyes stood suffering for so long. I noticed a long scar on his left cheek.

"Seth... what happened to your cheek?" I kissed it lightly and waited for his answer. Somehow I felt like it was crucial to know.

He looked down sadly and I realized why he cut it. He remembered the time in April when my lips dragged across that area to get to him. He cut it as a marker to remember me by. I felt the tears coming down even faster now, leaving my tear ducts flooded.

"Ren, I still love you," he said. His eyes were filled with sincerity and hope that I just couldn't fulfill.

"I love you too, Seth, but you know we can't do this anymore. My mom got an alarm system and she didn't tell me the password to turn it off, so I can't sneak out anymore. I can't be with you, Seth, you know that. I wish we could, but we can't. So I'm sorry."

He let go of me and stepped a few paces back. "Oh, I..."

He didn't finish, he just ran away.