Status: One shot. Finished.

That Should Be Me

One.

They were walking through a poppy field, the red flowers brushing their legs as they walked in step towards some unknown destination. Neither of them really knew where they were going, they were just going there.

The sun shone down on them, streaming down from the blue sky and spreading warmth across their tanned skin as they continued to walk. Birds chirped from the hedgerows and if either of them cared to listen close enough, the trickling of a stream could faintly be heard in the background

But their surroundings didn’t matter. Not when they were together. All that mattered was them and what was happening right now. And right now, the most important thing was the soft promise of their entwined hands, swinging slightly with each step and the therapeutic calm of the slow circles his thumb made on the back of her hand.

When they reached a suitable spot she stopped and spread a blanket across the long grass and they lay together, staring up at the clouds that scattered the blue vastness above them, their fingers still tightly entwined.

They stayed there until the light began to fade, and as the sun slowly began to dip below the horizon, she rolled her body closer to his, stretching one golden brown arm across his torso and resting her head in the crook of his shoulder, enjoying the sense of security she felt when he wrapped one arm around her and held her against him.

As the stars came out, he pointed out the North Star and Orion’s Belt because he could and because that was what he always did. She smiled when he told her, and moved slightly so that her head rested on the left side of his chest so she could listen to his heartbeat. The rhythm she knew so well lulled her to sleep, and her slow, regular breathing that followed pulled him into slumber.

She always woke first, and watched him as he slept on, admiring the soft sweep of his hair and how, even in his sleep, he stole her heart away. After a while, his hazel eyes fluttered open. He smiled and eased himself into a sitting position, rubbing the stiffness from arm where she had slept.

When the early morning dew had dried on their skin, they set off back home, hands interlocked and swinging slightly once more as they walked towards the still sleeping town.

They reached her front door first. She lived in the poorer end of Stratford, though her mother’s immaculate housekeeping left nothing to be criticised. The red paint was peeling from the old door, and the curtains in the upstairs windows were faded with age.

She kissed him gently, standing on the doorstep whilst he stood on the path below. He never felt so whole; everything was completely and utterly perfect. He was in love with her. She was in love with him. He kissed her back.

A smile was spread across her beautiful face as they parted.

“I love you, Justin.”
“I love y- ”


Justin woke up.

He saw her at school, standing alone, her sundress fluttering in the breeze. Every time he glanced at her it made him speechless. And it crushed him when her boyfriend walked past him and she smiled as their lips touched.

Justin felt tears prick his eyes as he turned away, “That should be me,” he muttered.

“What was that JB?” Ryan asked him.

“Nothing,” Justin sighed, “Nothing at all.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first thing I've written in a really, really long time. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
And I just got polyvore, so I think my lady woud be wearing something like this.

Jasmine, x