Status: completed <3

Photos From A Dying Time

03

I remember our first trip to her grave. We bought Daisies, Queen Anne's Lace and Lavender. At first I could only make it to the edge of the cemetery, before braking down in tears. An hour later I made it to the end of her row. An hour after that I was standing before her tiny tombstone and grave, the flowers overflowing around her grave. Wildflowers surrounded her tombstone, ranging from white to red to yellow.

“Look Harlie, your little angel brought life to her death. She truly was a saint.” Jenn whispered enthusiastically. I sat down in front her grave, the flowers tumbling from my hand onto the cool damp dirt. “I'll be right back sis, I have to call mom.” I nodded slowly, hearing her footsteps softly fade away.

“Hi Riley. It's mommy. I'm sorry....for everything. I should have protected you. I-I love you.” I whispered my eyes clenching to hold back tears. A tiny warm hand placed itself on my cheek, brushing away a stray tear.

“Don't cry mommy. I love you, don't cry. Everything is alright now. Daddy is happy. He loves you too. We both love you.” My eyes flew open upon hearing her bell like voice. Her big brown eyes met mine. “Hi mommy.” She smiled, one of her front teeth missing. I quickly pulled her into my arms, pressing my face into her hair, inhaling the smell of strawberries and vanilla.

“My baby girl, oh how I've missed you. I'm so sorry. I'm so so so sorry. I love you, Riley, my little angel.” I cried happily into her tiny warm shoulder, it felt as if she was right there with me.

“I love you too, mommy, now please be happy, we're right here for you.” She pulled back pointing her tiny plump forefinger to my heart. I smiled before kissing her tiny chubby cheeks. She smiled one last time before kissing my eyes. When I opened them again, my smiled faded slowly. She was gone again. I had had my baby girl in my arms again, and now she was gone. I glanced down at her grave and saw tiny pebbles placed together.

I love you.

“I'm back, mom says hello. She's glad you're making progres-who did that?” Jenn knelt down beside me, her fingers gently moving over the stone words.

“Riley wrote it. She was here. Her and Luke are happy.” I turned, smiling at Jenn. We both glanced up at the sunny blue sky, a laugh bubbling up out of my throat for the first time since the accident. A small pure white dove landed atop of the tombstone. I placed all the duplicate photos under the flowers, something for her to keep.

"'Hope' is the thing with feathers - that perches in the soul - and sings,"
♠ ♠ ♠
3/3 the end <3