Not Just Distracted

This is it.

It was English class when I first saw the man on top of the building. Well, I didn't know he was a man at the time, but I saw him out the window. I was sitting, bored, watching the window, and I noticed the cloud of steam coming from the dome at the top of one building, and then I noticed movement inside the steam.

It was a human form, and it turned out to be a man, on the roof, dancing. I watched him as long as I could, but I had to go to other classes, and when I looked back, he was gone.

Two days later, I saw something in the paper about him. It was only a small entry about his arrest for trespassing. He paid a fine, and that was over.

Except it wasn't. Because nobody had taken into account the man sitting on the stoplight, holding a red balloon. Eventually someone found him, and he too had to pay a fine.

And the next day, there was a girl on the sidewalk with a yogurt container full of permanent markers and a shirt that said, "Write on this shirt." People did.

They got her for loitering.

And then there was the man dressed up as a giant muffin. At first they thought he was selling something, but it soon became apparent that he just wanted to smile at everyone and perhaps have them smile back. No one in charge knew what to do about him, so they eventually settled on calling him a disturber of the peace.

And there was the couple on the Common teaching anyone to knit, and the five men with their huge hats.
People wondered if they were all some strange group of artists, but when questioned, none of them seemed to know each other.

And yesterday, there was the woman sitting in a tree, handing CDs out to everybody. Brand new CDs, too. They thought she'd stolen them or something, but they soon realized that she had bought them earlier that day, and it was all perfectly legal. I guess they decided it wasn't worth the effort anymore, because they didn't bother arresting her for anything in the end.

Nothing happened today.

But, you know, I haven't given up on tomorrow.

I bet it'll be exciting.