Proverbs and a Midnight Song

shocker.

"Billie!"
"Say you're sorry!!"
"Billie...eww"
I laughed as she groaned and wiped the saliva away from her cheek. "Get off" she said. She was so adorable when she pouted. "Say you're sorry" I repeated not moving at all. She squirmed from underneath me, trying to free herself. "Babe, it will be sooo much easier if you just say you're sorry" I said rolling my eyes. "Fine...sorry" she mumbled. "What was that?" I said smirking at her. "You heard me" she said glaring at me. "Oh I don't believe I did" I said still smirking at her. "I said I'm sorry" she said loudly. "There now was that so hard?" I asked sitting up and looking at her with an expression that I assumed was gorgeous for she fought to hold back a smile. "Yes" she said sitting up and folding her arms. I smiled and leaned in to place a gentle kiss on her cheek.


"Tre! Where the fuck is Floyd?!" I screeched at the drummer who was shoving Twinkies in his mouth. "Ya weft im in a soodio" he said spraying bits of cream at me. "What?" I said exasperatedly. Tre took a tremendous swallow then said, "You left him in the studio" "Oh...right" I said turning and walking out of the kitchen. I needed my guitar to work on the last song of our soon to be latest album, American Idiot. "Hey! Adie's looking for you!" Tre called to me. "Alright!" I yelled back. I rushed up the stairs and into my bedroom to grab my keys.
"Billie!"
"In here babe" I called still searching for my keys. Adie appeared in the doorway looking as beautiful as always and said, "Are you going to be around this weekend?" she said. I smiled. Her voice was melting, as usual. I looked up apologetically and said, "No. I'm sorry babe but we really need to finish this...we want to release the record by September 15 but the way things are going...we'll be lucky to have it out by October" I said finally finding my keys lying on the headboard of the bed. She sighed and said, "Alright...but you owe me that romantic dinner" I smiled and walked up to her, "I promise, as soon as this is over, we'll fly out to Paris and have dinner while staring up at the Eiffel Tower" She smirked and placed a kiss on my lips. "Can we go to Italy instead?" She said in that adorable voice of hers. "Italy, Rome, Paris, you name it " I said. She smiled then turned and walked out the door. Suddenly, my own smile began to fade...


"Paris...Rome...I'll take you anywhere babe" I whispered in her ear. "How about Italy?" she asked looking up at me. "Anywhere...as long as I'm with you" I said, my breath tickling her neck. She smiled as I held her close.

* * *

I heard the front door open then a loud voice that said "Hey Jess!" Lacie's voice rang through the house, echoing off the walls. "Hey what?!" I yelled back. "C'mere!" she said. I walked into the foyer and saw her standing there, holding my guitar which was locked securely in its case. "You left it at my house a few months back...I've been wanting to give it back to you" she said handing it to me. "Wondered what happened to him" I mumbled grabbing my guitar from her and laying it next to the stairs. "You know we should get together and jam this weekend" Lacie stated following me back into the kitchen. "I can't Lacie...I need to get this done" I said motioning to the many different prints spread across the table. I worked for the Second Story design firm in Portland Oregon and it kept me pretty damn busy. "You're such a workaholic" she said. "Ya think?" I asked ruffling through the many papers that I had stacked on top of one another. "C'mon Jess, let's do something Friday" Lacie said. "Lace I- oh no!" I gasped as I watched the papers slide out of my hands and onto the floor. "Damn it! Oh crap please don't let them be...all...screwed up...UGH!" I said throwing the papers that remained in my hand to the ground with the others. "Jess chill. C'mon we-" "Lacie you don't understand!!! That was the whole outline for the National Archives Vault! We've been putting this together for the past month" I said falling onto my knees and trying to put the portfolio back together. "Shit" I cursed under my breath as I realized pages six through fifty seven had no sense of order anymore. "Look Lace I'll talk to you later alright? Please, just let me get this done" I said looking up at her for a moment before going back to the mess. "Alright...I'll call you later" she said walking to the front door. An hour later I had made little progress, "Ok is this twenty four? No. This one...Um... Twenty three...twenty...twenty...five?...UGHH!!!" I screamed in frustration and through the stack of papers in my hand to the ground. As I sat on the ground fuming I felt my eyes begin to mist over. For some reason my frustration was hardwired to my tear ducts so a few moments later I felt tears begin to roll down my face. I wiped them away furiously and continued sorting...

"Shh Jimmi it's alright, it's alright...it's just a stupid birthday cake"
"But I worked my fucking ass off on it" I mumbled wiping away the tears. Billie laughed then said, "Jimmi c'mon you make me a cake every year...this year will just be a little...different" He reached down and picked up what was left of the birthday cake and plopped it on the table. I smiled slightly as I watched him take a handful and shove it in his mouth. "Mmm...still delicious" he said. I laughed then reached up to lick away the icing that lined his cheek.

* * *

I crinkled my brow as I hummed out the last few notes of 'Whatsername', playing along on my guitar, Floyd. I thought for a moment before deciding that it sounded pretty damn good. "You're still here?" a voice said from behind me. I jumped slightly, almost dropping Floyd in the process then turned around to see Rob walking over to the nearest chair and plopping down. "Yeah...I just wanted to make sure I nailed it" I said fiddling with my pick. "I was able to move the release date up a bit. September twenty first was the best I could do...still...gives us another week" he said turning to the desk and ruffling through the many paper that were stacked to what seemed to be infinity. I nodded then began to play again...just to be sure. I smiled as I finished...perfect. I looked up at Rob who was leaning against the arm of the chair, his head resting in his hand. "Happy with it?" he asked. "Happy as I'm gonna get" I said with a small chuckle. I stood up and stretched before gently placing Floyd back into his designated guitar stand. I scratched my head and looked around trying to decide if I had forgotten any vitally important tasks. My eyes itched with tiredness and my fingers ached from continuous playing. "Time it is?" I asked. Rob rolled his eyes at my grammar and checked his watch. "Eleven thirty" "Damn...longer than I thought" I mumble. "What are you doing here?" I added. "Needed to pick up a bit of paperwork" he said simply motioning to our wonderful organization. "Heh, good luck with that" I said with a laugh, turning to the soundboard to play back the day's recording.
Long after Rob had gone, I was still stationed at the soundboard replaying a small piece of 'She's a Rebel' over and over, not quite content with the short guitar solo.

"You're such a perfectionist"
"I can't help it... damn it!" I said chucking my pick across the room as I screwed up a riff that I had been working on for the sixth time. She laughed then swooped down and placed a wet kiss on my cheek. I scowled at her and wiped away her saliva...she was amazing.

* * *

"Jessica!"
I whipped around and saw my boss glaring over my shoulder at my current piece. "Y-yes?" I stuttered. "For the last time, we are not using that. We are going with Alyssa's plan so please throw it away and focus on the tasks at hand!" He marched away leaving me to sink lower and lower in my chair. "C'mon Jess, let's get going" a kind voice said from behind me. I looked over my shoulder and saw Jordan, one of my best friends, but also the gayest guy you would ever meet. I sat up and nodded crumpling my art up into a ball and tossing it away. "You know...you could keep them" he suggested, reaching down and grabbing the paper wad out of the bin. "I could...but I won't" I said. "Why not?" he asked unfolding it and smoothing it down on the desk. "What's the point?" I mumbled grabbing a print of Alyssa's work out of the file that lay on my desk and staring at it. Her angle was off. "Because it's good. You know it's better than Alyssa's...keep it" he urged. I looked at my work and smiled slightly...my angle wasn't off. I didn't like to hold on to things that were pointless but for once I neglected my values. I picked it up then gently placed it in the back of my portfolio. "That's my girl" he said ruffling my hair. "Now let's get working before we get our asses fired" he said. I laughed and turned back to staring at Alyssa's work wondering how the hell I was going to make this piece of shit a piece of art.
By the end of the day and a few hours after, I had somehow managed to turn the print into something of a masterpiece. I smiled down at my work, loving the use of color...and of course I fixed the angle. I rolled it up and slid it into a cylindrical shell then walked out of the office planning on showing George my ideas in the morning. Hopefully he would decide that he was pleased with the new print and I wouldn't end up tossing it away. As I made my way to my car, I decided that I was fairly content in the days work and even though I was exhausted I was happy...and that was a huge achievement for me. I'm never properly happy anymore. Not since...
I unlocked my car and stepped inside placing my work in the passenger seat. It was dark now...a little eerie yet quiet and soothing. I rolled down my window as I started up my car. It was a cool September night. The wind blew gently and if you listened closely you could hear it tickling the leaves in the nearby trees. I took in a deep breath of the delicious fall air and then made my way home as I had so many times before. This had been the same routine for the past five years. It's funny how things have changed. If you compared my first drive home to this one you would notice a substantial difference. The driver, for instance, finally decided to grow up and take responsibility for her life. Her hair was no longer black and straight, it had returned to its natural light brown. More colors were added to her wardrobe besides black, red, and white. And most of all, the edge had dulled in her hardcore personality. Heh, yeah that's me. Like I said, funny how things have change. Thinking about the woman I used to be was never enforced. You could say I try my best to block out those years; forgotten memories, if you will. Yet there's one memory that only fades...it refuses to be forgotten no matter how hard I push it away. It's merely fading and I'm hoping that it will eventually grow dim enough to be thrown away. Thinking about it hurts. Ugh, I need a new hobby.
The next morning my alarm clock went off with the same boring, yet amazingly annoying, beeping. I slammed my hand down on the snooze button and closed my eyes once again. Mornings weren't my thing, never have been never will be. Ten minutes later the annoying beeping aroused again meaning that it was time to haul myself out of bed. I sat up and stretched, squinting out the window as the sun poured through it. I ruffled my hair then stood up and dragged myself into the bathroom. After making myself look presentable for the day I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. I pulled open the refrigerator and peered inside. I grabbed the only thing in there: a water bottle. I took a long gulp then sealed it and placed it back into the empty refrigerator. I sighed and walked out to my car. I was so absorbed with showing George the new product I forgot a very vital object...the project itself. "Shit" I cursed as I quickly pulled a u-turn and drove six blocks back to my apartment. Thirty minutes later I made it to Second Story although I was fifteen minutes late. I quickly made my way inside trying to avoid too many curious stares. "Jessica!" I heard my name being called in a very unfriendly manner. "Y-yes?" I stuttered turning around to face George. "You are twenty minutes late! Where is the product?!" he screeched. "Right here sir...and I was only fifteen minutes late" I mumbled. George ignored my comment and grabbed the cylindrical tube from my outstretched hand. He sloppily pried it open and unraveled my work with the same haste. "Jessica what is this?" he said staring at my work. "The new product sir" I said knowing what was coming. "What part of 'We are using Alyssa's plan' don't you seem to get?" he said rolling my art back into it's original form. "That is Alyssa's work...I just touched it up...and fixed the angle" I mumbled staring at the work that had taken me a full day to complete. "The angle? Jessica the angle was fine! Now get rid of this and help Alyssa finalize the product!" he said thrusting the tube and my artwork back into my arms. I glared at his back as he stalked off. I wiped away the tears of frustration and slammed my artwork into a nearby trash bin.

Gilman Street...Three o'clock in the morning...six cans of spray-paint...I'm a happy camper. I added the tittle on the 'I' of my name and stepped back to admire what I had created. I smirked as I stared. I had added the words Green Day to the mess of other band names spray-painted on the side of Gilman.
"Heh, not your best work Jacobs" a voice said from behind me.
"Fuck off" I mumbled without turning around.
"Hmm...could have used a little more shading here...and here... and here" said the voice followed by and outstretched hand that pointed to several different spots along the G.
"I said fuck off...It looks fine"
"Here give me the damn paint I'll fix it" Danielle grabbed the paint out of my hands and began to add the black paint along my perfectly drawn G.
"You fucked up the angle!" I screeched as she backed away and tossed the paint back to me.
"Oh please, the fucking angle was all wrong anyways" she said turning on her heal and stalking away from me.
"Damn her" I said stooping down and collecting the green can to correct what Danielle had ruined.
"You know it would look a lot better if there was more shading along the G" a new voice said. I whipped around to see a man by the name of Devon. I narrowed my eyes and said, "Then why don't you do it you little fucker" I shoved the two cans in his arms and stalked away, furiously wiping those damned tears away, smearing my eyeliner and mascara in course.
I walked down the actual street of Gilman, my hands shoved deep into my pockets, my chucks scraping against the pavement. It was the middle of January and I was slightly cold. I shivered inside my black hoodie, wishing I would have chosen to wear my Pink Floyd sweatshirt considering how warm it is. I wiped away a few more tears and continued down the street. My eyes were locked onto the pavement in front of me and I was doing my best to force threatening tears away. Suddenly I collided with something solid and rather hard. "Ah fuck" I said stepping back. "I'm sorry" I said sidestepping the man that I had run into and continuing on my way. A moment later I heard a gentle "No problem"

After the incident with my boss the day seemed to drag on at an immensely slow pace. After my forth cup of coffee my brain was fogging over and my head was pounding. "Ugh" I groaned dropping my pen and rubbing my temples. "Hey Jess?" Jordan's voice said from behind me. "Yeah?" I said quietly turning around to look at Jordan through my sagging eyelids. "George wants to see you" he said quietly. I nodded and stood up. I walked out of my cubicle and as I passed Jordan he held out his hand which contained two aspirins. I smiled in thanks and grabbed the two small capsules and swallowed them with a mouthful of coffee. George's office was at the end of the hall to the left. It seemed to take forever for my feet to finally find there way to the door. I knocked gently and waited for George's faint welcome before opening the door and stepping into what seemed to be a prison cell. "You wanted to see me sir?" I said sitting down in a chair that was in front of his desk. "Yes, Jessica I have decided to take you off of the National Archive project and-"
"What?! Sir, no! I've been working profusely on that project for the past three weeks! You can't remove me!" I said, my eyes wide and the pounding in my head growing more profound.
"Now Jessica I'm just moving you to a different assignment that you will lead" he said. My mouth dropped...I had never led a project. "Sir...I...wow...thank you!" I said standing up and shaking his hand. "Now before we rush into this let me lay down what needs to be done. Now the reason I gave you this job is because a according to Mr. Nance, you have quite a history with music. Our new client is a major band that needs a cover for their new album that is to be released fairly soon. I figured since you know more about the music industry than anyone in this company I would give this job to you" he said.
"Sir, I didn't think Second Story designed album covers" I said furrowing my brow in confusion. "Yes, this is a first so please...try to make a good impression" he said.
"Don't worry sir... I'll do my very best" I said shaking his hand one more time.
"Excellent. Now here's the profile of our clients and what they expect to be done. You are to call them tomorrow to set up a meeting and discuss the proceedings even further" George said.
"Yes sir" I said taking the black binder off of the desk and walking towards the door.
"Oh and Jessica," I turned around, "Make sure you don't screw up the angle"
I raised an eyebrow but quickly exited as to avoid any more thought on that subject.
As soon as I left George's office I opened the binder and looked down at the print. Two tiny little words jump out at me right away: green and day. My eyes grew wide and my hands started to shake so badly that I dropped the binder. I held a hand up to my mouth and rushed into the bathroom to discard the morning's coffee.