Proverbs and a Midnight Song

alright movin' on.

"Ok what still needs to be done?" I asked rubbing my aching head. I had spent all day in the studio trying to finish off the album which seemed damn near impossible. "We need to add Kathleen's little bit to Letterbomb...all that shit...and we still need a cover" Mike said leaning over his bass and polishing the pick-guard. I nodded, picked up Floyd, and began to pick out a random tune. Mike looked up, smiled, and began to follow me on the bass. Once we ended our little riff we looked at each other and just laughed. "Anyways, we're supposed to be hearing from some design company about the cover" Mike said. "Hmm..." I said looking down at Floyd. "We should keep this cover simple" Mike said. I nodded in agreement and looked down at my pick that I was twirling between my fingers. "Did you have anything in mind?" Mike asked. "Sorta...I kinda thought we could have something along the lines of a hand grenade and a heart...You know, from She's A Rebel?" I said. "She's holding on my heart like a hand grenade?" Mike said. I nodded then stood up and placed Floyd back in his stand. I stretched and ruffled my hair out of habit. "Hmm...well I guess we'll talk about it later" Mike said. "Yup...where's Tre?" I asked. "Getting food I think. He might be bringing Cori over to the studio later" Mike said. "It'll be good to see her. She's so busy with the kids these days" I said with a small laugh. Mike laughed as well and said, "Yeah. I miss her charisma" Suddenly a horrid rendition of Nurse Rozetta by Alice Cooper made its way to our ears. "Well...Tre's back" Mike said. "NURSE ROZETTA MAKE ME BETTA! SECRETELY MY EYES UNDRESS HER! LET ME FEEL YOUR TONGUE DEPRESSOR!!" Tre burst through the door carrying four large bags full of McDonald's. "I'M SUDDENLY TWICE MY SIZE!"
"MY PANTS ARE ALL WET INSIDE!!" Mike and I finished off Tre's butchering of the song as Tre dropped the bags of food on the table. "Alright guys I got everything they had cause I didn't know what you wanted" Tre said dumping the food all over the table. "And yes, I super-sized!" Tre said opening a Big Mac and taking a huge bite out of it. Mike rolled his eyes and popped a few French fries in his mouth. "Uh! Ah wot a wessah fruh cruh!" Tre said. "Swallow man" Mike said looking at Tre. Tre attempted to swallow everything in one go but that only led to a hilarious scene of Tre choking and Mike trying to properly execute the Heimlich maneuver. Once Tre had recovered from his chocking spell he collapsed in a chair breathing heavily. "I swear man you are so...fucked up in the head" Mike said with a smirk. "I know you are but what am I? Ooh burn" Tre said leaning back in his chair, his hands behind his head. I rolled my eyes at Tre's idiocy and said, "Now what were you saying?"
"Huh?" Tre asked looking at me with his head slightly cocked. "Before you choked dumbass" I said rubbing my head again. "Oh...I forgot" Tre said scratching his head and making his hair stand up on end. "Shocker" Mike said rolling his eyes. Tre stuck his tongue out at Mike then took another large bit out of his hamburger, rendering him speechless for the next three minutes.
"Billie, Mike, Tre, Chris needs to speak with you"
I nodded at the man in the doorway, whose name I had forgotten. "Ok, tell him we'll be right there" I said. Chris was the graphic arts coordinator for this album. He was the one who was responsible for making sure we get a good, kick ass, album cover. Mike stood up and walked out the door and I followed suit. Tre grabbed an arm full of food and followed us shortly.

* * *

"Jess...are you sure you're ok?" Jordan asked watching my shaking hands drop everything I attempted to hold onto. "I'm fine...just nervous about this whole thing" I replied staring at the phone which I should be picking up right about now to get a hold of Green Day's graphic design manager. "Jess chill...you'll do fine" said Jordan. I nodded yet my hands still continued to tremble. No one, not even my closest friends, knew what I had once had with the frontman of Green Day... obviously I myself had been trying to forget the whole thing entirely. "Time it is?" I asked. Jordan rolled his eyes at my grammar and checked his watch. "Quarter past two...and Jessica...no one says, 'Time it is?'!!" he said. I smiled a little trying to relax my nerves. I took in a deep solid breath before picking up the phone with my trembling hands and slowly dialing that horrid number.
"Hello, Chris Bilheimer speaking"
"Hello Mr. Bilheimer. This is Jessica Jacobs of Second Story graphic design."
"Of course, we've been waiting for your call" Chris said with a small chuckle.
"Yes, well, I'm calling to schedule a meeting so we can discuss the cover" I said, my stomach churning more and more with each word.
"Of course, of course. I believe this Friday would be the best. The album needs to be finished within the next month, will that be enough time?"
"Oh that should be plenty of time" I said.
"Of course"
Stop saying 'of course'...please I thought to myself.
"Anyway, Friday doesn't exactly fit into my tight schedule that I have" I lied.
"I was told that you were to be dedicated solely to this project and you would be willing to work into our schedule" he said.
Bastard
"I'm sorry, it's just Friday I had planned on-"
"Well if that's the case then I'm sorry but we're going to have to go with the other design firm that had contacted us. We need to get started on this before the weekend." He said.
I hate him.
"Oh there will be no need for that...I can work around my plans...Friday will be fine" I said.
"Excellent. Be at 880 Studios in Oakland California at two o'clock on Friday and we can discuss the proceedings with the band. Good Day" He hung up before I could say another word.
"Why wouldn't Friday work?" Jordan questioned from behind me. "I just wanted to have the weekend to prepare for what's to come" I snapped slamming the phone down and standing up. I huffed and stalked past Jordan and into the lady's room where I once again discarded everything that had come in contact with my stomach.
"Damn it" I mumbled wiping my mouth off with a paper towel. I heard the door to the bathroom swing open and the clacking of high heels walking across the floor. Through the mirror I saw Alyssa walking as if she were strutting on a runway. She walked to mirror next to me and fluffed her long naturally blonde hair as she usually did.
"Are you alright?" she asked finally looking at me. "You look a little...pale...and green"
"I'm fine" I lied straightening up a little more. She was taller than me by a head and she seemed to taunt me with it by wearing heels.
Alyssa merely nodded and went back to staring at herself in the mirror. I'm not quite sure why I disliked her so much...she's never done anything to me. Call it jealousy I suppose. She had that perfect body, beautiful blonde hair, stunning green eyes, full lips, perfectly shaped nose, everything that I lacked....yep definitely jealousy. I let out a small sigh then turned and walked out of the bathroom.

* * *

"You wanted to see us Chris?" I said walking through the door.
"I wanted to talk to you guys about the cover." no shit Sherlock "I have scheduled a meeting with one of the leading directors from Second Story design company on Friday at-" Second Story...Where have I heard that before?"two o'clock in 880 Studios" Chris said leaning back in his chair. "Friday? Chris we had planned on mixing on Friday" Mike said.
"Well I'm sorry but I've already had everything settled so you're going to have to work around it" he said.
Bastard
"Can't we reschedule for Monday?" I asked.
"Mr. Armstrong we really need to get going on this cover and the sooner the better" he said raising his eyebrows at me like I was an arrogant fool.
God, I hate him
"I understand that but what you don't understand is that be have already planned on mixing that day so shove that up your-"
"Friday will be fine" Mike interjected. I glared at him but purely folded my arms and said nothing.
"Excellent. Please be at 880 by two o'clock on-" I turned and walked out of the room, not waiting to here the rest. "That guy's a bastard" I said when I heard footsteps behind me. "Yeah...he is" Tre said following me into the lounge where we both fell upon the couch. I tilted my head back on the couch as Tre picked up a his drumsticks that were left on the side table and began to tap a random rhythm on the arm of the couch. A few short moments later Mike walked through the door looking thoroughly agitated. "That guy is such a fucking...." Mike trailed off, slamming the door behind him. "Bastard" I said with a nod. "Yeah! I mean he's acting like he knows every damn thing about this damn record! He hasn't even heard it!" Mike huffed angrily. I nodded again and let out a long sigh...this was going to be a long week.

* * *

Thursday night I spent sitting clutching my stomach trying to keep down my supper. I took a small swig from my water then fell onto my side and curled up into a ball. There was a knock at my door about ten minutes later and before I could say anything in opened and Lacie stepped inside. "Woah...you don't look so good. You comin down with the flu or somethin?" Lacie asked walking into the living room. "No...I'm just really...really nervous" I mumbled. "About meeting Green Day? Oh c'mon Jess they're not that good...Oh and by the way could you have Billie sign this...'To the most awesome person in the world, Love Billie Joe'" she said handing me her Dookie CD, emphasizing her point by throwing her arms up and bringing them down in an arch. "Ughhh" I groaned burying my face in one of the throw pillows. "Jeez, if it's that big of a deal..." Lacie said. "Lace please...just make yourself useful and get me a some Ibuprofen and a bottle of Pepto-Bismol" I said. "That can't be healthy" Lacie said. I groaned again and shut my eyes tightly trying to block out any source of light. "Alright well I just wanted to give you that" she said nodding at the Dookie CD, "Let me know how things go" She walked out of the living room and out the door humming Basketcase and banging her head. I grabbed another throw pillow and smashed it against my face, my stomach churning more than ever. I haven't felt this sick in...eleven years.

"Oh my God," I mumbled wiping my mouth and flushing the toilet. It had been the third time in the last two days that I had thrown-up. I walked out of the bathroom and out into the living room where Billie Joe was sitting on the couch looking slightly worried. "Are you ok, babe?" he asked as I sat down next to him and nuzzled into his chest. I nodded and took in a deep breath, savoring his sweet smell. "Are you sure? You've been out of it for the past few weeks now" he said moving a piece of hair away from my face. "I'm fine Billie...just a little under the weather" I stated. Billie chuckled then said, "Babe, this is more than just your usual under the weather kinda thing. You're always tired, you've been throwing up, you get headaches and you have to pee all the time!" Billie said. My eyes snapped open and I stared wide eyed at Billie. "What?" he asked quirking an eyebrow. "Let's go" I said grabbing his arm and pulling him off of the couch and towards the door. "Jimmi, it's twelve o'clock at night! Where the hell are we going?!" he asked. "The pharmacy" I said dragging him out the door. "What the hell for?! I've got plenty of condoms!" he said. "No Billie...we're getting a pregnancy test"

"Ugh..." I groaned sitting up, my head pounding from lack of sleep. I looked at the clock on the wall behind me "SHIT!" It was nine o'clock...my flight to Oakland left at nine forty-five. I jumped up and bolted into my bedroom stripping off yesterdays clothes and pulling on slacks and a nice blouse. I ran into the bathroom, brushed my teeth and hair, parting it down the side; I would do my make-up on the flight. I ran back to my bedroom and grabbed my suitcase I always have packed due to my extensive traveling that my job calls for. I pulled on my heels, grabbed my keys and my purse then hurried out the door. By nine ten I was on the road and by nine twenty I was at the airport. It took another twenty minutes to check my bag and make it through security. "Final boarding call for non-stop flight to Oakland California"
"Shit" I mumbled jogging to the gate. I handed the lady my boarding pass and walked through the gate and onto the plane. I quickly found my seat and sat down. This was going to be one hell of a day.
Two twenty...oh my God...oh my fucking God. Eleven years...I hadn't seen him in eleven years. Oh dear God...please don't let me throw-up. I walked into 880 Studios and up to the receptionist.
"Can I help you?" she asked sweetly.
"Yes I'm supposed to meet Chris Bilheimer today at two thirty to discuss the album cover for American Idiot" I replied, doing my best to keep my voice steady.
"Oh of course, right through these doors and it'll be the third door on the left" she said smiling up at me.
"Thank you" I said walking past her. Oh my God. Shaking more than ever I walked through the doors into what seemed to be Satan's way of making sure that I didn't live to see the sun again. I took deep shaky breaths as I started down what seemed to be the impossibly long hall. Door number one...two...holy shit. I slowly lifted my hand and rapped in the door, forgetting to breathe in the process. "Come in" came a voice from the other side. I stepped inside to see a man I assumed to be Chris sitting at a long table with a black binder that paralleled my own laying in front of him.
"Ah you must me Miss Jacobs. Please sit down. Green Day should be with us shortly...they never seem to be on time. You would not believe the trouble I had to go through to make sure that they would be able to make it today!" he said with an obviously fake laugh. I nodded and walked over to a seat on the opposite side of the table. I pulled out the same binder Chris had and placed it in front of me and began flipping through it, keeping my eyes focused on the page in front of me. "I see that George has given you the binder as I instructed...excellent, this should go smoothly. As long as Billie Joe cooperates, we should be able to finish this up in twenty minutes!" he said with another false laugh. I tried to smile back at him but my mouth didn't want to collaborate with my mind. Suddenly the door flew open and in stalked a dark haired man followed by a blonde and a man sporting a fauxhawk. I raised my hand to my mouth to stop from vomiting. Eleven years...eleven years and here he is "Alright Chris I'm here so let's get this over with" Billie said falling into a chair in front of him. He still hadn't looked at me which I was thankful for...the longer the better. Tre fell down next to Billie and had begun to beat out a rhythm with his hands the instant they came in contact with the table. Mike, however, did see me. His mouth was open slightly and his eyes were wide. He took another fifteen seconds before sliding down next to Tre. Chris heaved a sigh then said, "Fine, gentlemen this is Jessica Jacobs...she will be the director of this project"
Our eyes met. Green against blue. His eyes widened, his mouth fell and he just sat there...stunned. "Jimmi?!" he said finally.
"Alright, well as Chris said I will be leading this project and I intend to have in be the best damn thing you guys have seen. Now, is there anything you three have in mind for the album or am I going to have to start from scratch?" I said trying to regain my professional manner.
"Jimmi what-"
"According to this you wanted to have the album out by September 21, so that gives us about a month to work out everything that needs to be done which includes outlining, finalizing and of course printing. I can assure you that the cover will be finished in time no matter what the standards so please feel free to be as complicated as possible" I interjected now looking from Mike and Tre to Chris.
"Jimmi...I can't believe you're-"
"Mr. Armstrong please...focus on what we have before us. We can discuss what's on your mind later" I said. Billie said more but sat back in his chair and folded his arms. Once Billie didn't speak for a few moments Mike spoke up. "Well uh...you see Jim- Jessica...we wanted to keep this cover fairly simple. Billie had suggested the use of a hand grenade and a heart...You see there is one lyric that goes 'Holding on my heart like a hand grenade' and we kinda wanted to base the cover off of that"
"Hmm...I see" I said adding a note to my binder, "Were you thinking of having the grenade being surrounded by a heart? Or the grenade exploding the heart...?"
"Well we weren't really sure" Mike said, looking at Billie who still had his eyes deadlocked on me then to Tre who was just barely paying attention.
"Ok that's fine...is there any certain color scheme that you are interested in?" I asked.
"Black red and white" Billie said finally, without removing his eyes from there stair.
"Hmm" I said adding another note to the binder.
"Black red and white?...isn't that a little-" Chris began.
"Oh will just you shut up?! It's going to be black red and white get over it" Billie snapped. Chris raised both eyebrows and sat back in his chair. "I'm only doing my job Mr. Armstrong" he said with an irritated tone.
"Your job is to help us complete the cover by doing what we ask of you" Billie said with the same tone of anger.
"Ok well I think I have a general idea of what you are looking for. I'll work on a few sketches tonight and I'll show you what ideas I've got in mind on Monday...is that alright?" I asked.
"Yes that will be fine" Chris said with a nod.
"Ok...well then I guess I'll see you guys Monday then...same time?" I asked.
"That'll be fine" Chris said nodding. I nodded as well then sidestepped the table, walking past the guys and out the door. "Oh my fucking God" I said walking down the hall at a fast pace. Suddenly I felt a hand grab my arm. I whipped around and saw him, standing there, eyes boring into mine. He released my arm slowly but never broke eye contact. "How long will you be in town?" he asked quietly. "A-a week" I said even quieter. "Would you like to have dinner tonight?" he asked. "I can't Billie...I need to work on this" I said holding up the binder. "Please Jimmi...I just want...I just want to settle some things" he said.
"Like what?" I asked in a small voice.
"Like why you left" he said staring me down.
"You had your music...I had my arts" I replied in the same small voice. I looked to the ground and turned, walking out the doors.