Status: Still writing

The Soul Within

Preface

“So doctor, what are you planning on doing to surprise the council?”
The old man looked up at him, his wrinkly face curling up into a smile. He stopped typing on his computer and took of his glasses.
“Come here,” he whispered, is eyes filled with pride and excitement. Standing up, he led his assistant through a hallway then into a pair of metal doors. The lab was filled with different machines and gadgets. The sounds of high-tech monitoring computers filled the room with an eerie buzz.
The old doctor walked up to what appeared to be a glass tank covered in a thick black cloth. His withering fingers tugged slightly at the fabric, and the sheet slowly slid onto the ground.
The assistant gasped, his eyes slowly widening in confusion and wonder.
The tank held the body of a young girl, no older than 16. Mechanic tubes of all different sizes were attached to her body, all hooked onto various computers and machines. Every few minutes, the contraption would let out a soft gurgle, like bubbling water.
The old man led the assistant to a small panel that was also connected to the contraption. It was covered in small levers and switches. A big red button sat at the bottom left corner of the rectangular panel. The doctor stroked it gently with his middle and index finger.
“You have come at exactly the right time Tom,” he told the assistant with a grin. He pressed down with his fingers. Instantly, the room filled with an eerie red light, making the old doctor’s wrinkly smile ever more mysterious.

******

Jamey opened her eyes. The bright light shone in her face making her squint. She was lying on a metal cot, which was the only object in the small white room. She sat up, her body felt unfamiliar and her head ached. She reached up and hit her skull, trying to make the spinning stop.
Watch where you’re hitting, said a voice inside her head.
Jamey didn’t who or what it was, but it most definitely didn’t come from her.