Sequel: Pandora, No More

Little Vipers

The Wasted Years

I woke up that morning very much alone. Stumbling in confusion from Erik's room into the main cavern, I noticed a plate of cheese and bread waiting for me on the table; but no Erik. Ignoring the food, I checked all the other rooms; he simply wasn't here. Settling myself into a chair at the table I sighed, but wasn't worried. Many times I would wake up to find him missing; he's return soon after, but usually never told me where he'd gone. So I was surprised to see a note with my name on the envelope beside another red paper rose on the table. I nibbled on a piece of bread as I turned the letter over in my hand. I'd never received a personal note before. Breaking the seal and slipping out the letter, I smiled at Erik's red lettering.

Dearest Charlotte,

I am away to the graveyard on business and shall not return until perhaps mad-afternoon. I would have taken you with me, but I suspect what I must do will only upset you.

Do not worry about delivering the note I told you about earlier. Madame Giry will bring it to the attention of the managers herself. You will not be meeting them or the cast until the performance, but I doubt this will deter your ability to prepare.

On that note, I encourage you to practice your voice while I am gone, as the debut performance is not far off. Please do remember to mind your breathing, as I have taught you.

OG

Carrying the new rose delicately in the palm of my hand, I returned to my room to place it beside the other. Changing into a corseted dress, I was visibly disgruntled. Erik had brought down several dresses for me to practice singing in; he had advised me to become used to it, because my costume for Don Juan Triumphant would be very restricting. I never gave him the satisfaction of seeing me wear them though.

Returning to the main cavern, I glanced at Erik's note once more. Thinking back on his lessons from before the Masquerade, I took a deep breath, one that filled my entire chest, and started my warp-up drills.

Later:

"Little Sister, Dearest Sister." I began singing off-stage. It was the night of Don Juan Triumphant, the Masquerade long in the past. It was the end of Act I, and it was my turn to take the stage. I was playing the role of Calista, the older sister of Aminta.

Christine was already on-stage, kneeling beside a rose bush. She was humming dreamily as she carefully placed the beautiful flowers in a wicker basket. However, as I entered the glen created on the Opera Populaire stage, she sprang up and out of her stupor.

"Calista, my dearest sister." Christine, Aminta, sang in her effortless soprano voice, not at all impeded by her corseted gypsy dress. I wore something similar, but my corset seemed to be either tied tighter or more ill fitting, because I was noticeably uncomfortable as I walked. However, the roses in my hair were not real; only Erik and I knew they were the paper ones he'd made for me.

"Dearest little sister
Why do you hum so?
Away in your own world
Causing your very face to glow." I mused, approaching Christine and holding her at arm's length. Aminta grinned and looked away, back to her dreamy self.

"Sister, Dearest sister
I can hide nothing from you.
My mind is far away
That much is true." Aminta replied, her voice so dainty and womanly in comparison to mine. I tried to hold my smile in place.

"Tell me, Young sister
Who weighs on your mind?
It must be a man!
With who's is your heart entwined?" I sang, cocking an eyebrow at Christine mischievously, who blushed on cue.

"Wise sister, Older sister
You know me so well.
You are never wrong
A man indeed has me under a spell!" Aminta confessed.

"Then tell me his name." I implored, laughing.

"His name I know not!" Aminta laughed also, clutching my hands and smiling. I took on a look of shock and doubt as was called for.

"Oh sister, Dearest sister
How romantic it is,
To not know his name
And still remain his!" Aminta tried to explain, shyly looking away. Every time I heard this line I thought of Erik. But I couldn't stop now to think; it was time for my one solo.

Calista turned from her little sister as if offended. After a moment of composing her features, Calista turned to face Aminta once more, taking up her hands in her own.

"Dearest sister, Little sister..." I began to sing as I led Aminta to center stage.

"Dearest sister, Wise sister..." Aminta echoed as Calista dropped her sister's hands and walked farther upstage. The music turned darker as I sent a long, sweeping gaze across the audience. I breathed deeply and thought of my lessons with Erik.

"I was once in love
With a nameless man.
Too late I learned
Of his deceitful plan." I started in my low voice, closing my eyes to look mournful.

"We met in the town
A scarf hiding his face.
He charmed me with his words
And I with my grace.

He spoke of passion and,
I was elated to hear,
He described his love.
He sounded so sincere!

He invited me along
To his glorious dwelling.
Oh the things we then spoke of...
Don't ask, I'm not telling!" I paused again to hold my shoulders as the music swelled and fell once more. I continued lowly, shaking.

"Hesitation passed with the wine
Before I knew it, we were in his room.
I couldn't escape from
My virtue's tomb." Calista theatrically fell to her knees as Aminta rushed over.

"The worst is yet to come,
My dearest sister;
Abandoned I was
By this cruel mister.

Gone he was
Without the slightest delay.
Dissolving in the sun
Of next morning's day.

And yet I still know not his name!
The mystery man of the deepest voice.
But I love him still,
Of that I had no choice." Calista picked up her sister's hands once more and looked into her eyes.

"Dearest sister, Purest sister
Don't let this man beguile your heart.
Walk away, while you still can
I beg you not to play your part!" Calista pleaded with young Aminta, only for the latter to pull her hands away as if burned.

"Dearest sister, Wise sister
Surely you know what you speak of." Aminta rose to her full height and stared imperiously down on Calista.

"However, I must disagree.
You know not the man I love!" She sang, color flushing her beautiful cheeks, before carrying her basket or roses away, off-stage.

The curtain sets on the scene of the glen, the rose bush the stand-alone piece, except for me, playing Calista, covering my face, and knowing exactly how my character feels.

Everyone prepared for Act II once Monsieur Reyer called the orchestra back from intermission. I distantly heard him tap his baton on the music stand, the main theme starting soon after. The various servants of Don Juan hurried on-stage; the curtain lifted, I closed my eyes on the vulgar scene and tried to replace Carlotta's voice with the sound of Erik's organ in my mind, a much more pleasant sound. I wondered where he was as Passarino and Don Juan revealed their plan for Aminta to the audience.

"Passarino..." I heard a soft voice, "Go away, for the trap is set and waits for its prey." I knew it was Erik before I even dared to open my eyes.

"Oh no." I whispered from my spot in the wings. Everyone knew something was wrong; dancers and stagehands filtered in behind me as Erik launched into "The Point of No Return". I felt the hairs on my arms tingle, but I wasn't sure if it was from fear or pleasure at the sound of his voice.

I came back into my right mind as Christine, Aminta, began her portion of the song. My blood boiled as they embraced on top of the bridge, but it was short-lived.

"Say you'll share with me
One love, one lifetime.
Lead me, save me
From my solitude." Erik sang softly into Christine's ear. No longer was my blood on fire; now I felt a pressure in my chest so intense I thought it would kill me. Erik continued.

"Say you want me with you
Here beside you.
Anywhere you go
Let me go too." He rose to a volume so loud and booming that I was sure the rafters shook. I felt my heart breaking as I anticipated his next words; I shut my eyes. I couldn't watch.

"Christine,
That's all I ask of-" The audience was screaming in horror, cutting Erik off. I felt gasps and cries rush past me from behind as the other cast members reacted. I dared to open my eyes.

I couldn't stop my hand from flying to my mouth, or the ear-piercing scream that flew from it. I was frightened by what I so suddenly saw; pure instinct told me to be afraid of Erik's disfigured face. It was everyone's first reaction. It was natural.

But all I felt was shame. Because, much the way the sudden reveal of Erik's face issued screams, my cry had drawn eyes. Including Erik's. I couldn't hide. He'd seen me.

With a pained glance around the stage, and the rushing policemen, Erik reacted. Pulling Christine to him while producing a hidden knife, Erik cut a rope and kicked a lever. They were gone, probably through a trap door.

"Stupid girl!" I yelled at myself, only to be pulled from my self-loathing to the crystal chandelier. It was falling, the chain tearing the plaster ceiling with it. It hit the stage before I could think to move, setting everything near it ablaze. I vaguely heard Carlotta sobbing in the distance, figuring some ill fate had come to Piangi. I was sympathetic, I really was, but my mind was also racing. How much time did Christine have? What was Erik going to do to her? Should I intervene? Did I want to intervene?

Fire churned and crackled through the auditorium and along the stage; glass shattered and sliced through the air; ticket-holders from the audience and actors alike screamed as they fled the ruined Opera Populaire.

"Where did he take her?" A voice rushed past me as I leaned against a support beam, strangely thinking what my Poppa would say to do as I watched everything I'd known for the past two years go up in smoke.

You will go down to the main floor, you will do you job, you will stay surrounded by the other stagehands; but you will not go looking for this murderer.

I hadn't listened to him then, and I couldn't start running now. I had to be my own person, and follow my own heart. I ran after the voice I knew belonged to Raoul de Changy.

I caught up to him and Madame Giry just as they left the main backstage area. I pushed past Meg Giry as she tried to hold back the mob of torch-bearing stagehands and actors.

"I can help." I croaked, using my voice for the first time since I'd sang on-stage. Raoul gave me a doubtful look, but Madame Giry held my gaze. After a moment she pursed her lips and led me along with a hand on my shoulder.

"Your hand at the level of your eyes." She warned Raoul and I one last time before leaving us on the stone staircase I'd come to know so well. I patted her hand as Raoul set off down the stairs; there weren't traps for a few more landings.

"I'll protect him." I tried to reassure her, well aware of how ludicrous it sounded.

"How can I trust you, Charlie Buquet?" She asked me, surprising me.

"Because I trust Erik." I recovered quickly, and smiling slyly, surprising her. By the time I caught up to Raoul he had removed most his jackets, standing in just his shirt and trousers. Little did he know, being able to move easier wouldn't save you from Erik's Punjab lasso.

"Stop." I told him as we approached the halfway point. My mind was accessing the blueprints of my memory, mapping out the fastest way to the main cavern, where Erik and Christine were sure to be.

"You have to trust me." I said, glancing from Raoul to the landing a few steps below us.

"Why?" He asked, apparently just to waste precious time. If I explained myself, he was sure not to trust me, so I just shoved him roughly onto the trapdoor. He cried out in surprise as he fell; I plunged into the water trap after him.

"The valve." I sputtered as water filled my nose. I took a huge breath, as if I were about to sing my solo, and motioned for Raoul to do the same. The valve was once again rusted shut, but between Raoul and I it succumbed to our will. Raoul clambered up through the exit first, and helped me. My dress was heavy with water, which I was severely unaccustomed to.

"This way. Keep up." I said I tried to wring out my skirts and navigate the darkened tunnels at the same time. This proved to be too much to handle though, and I felt my wet, bare feet slip. I twisted on my descent, trying to break my fall but only making it worse. I screamed as pain exploded in my left ankle.

"What happened? Are you hurt?" Raoul pestered me with questions about what hurt, and where, as I clutched my ankle. I could move it, so it wasn't broken, but even to turn it was unbearable.

"I'll be- no, you have to go!" I cut across the annoying gentleman, "It's two rights, a left, and straight on from there. Don't get lost. No- no, I'll catch up. Oh my- Would you go?!" I yelled. Raoul finally stopped blathering on and stood. I hoped he wouldn't get lost, but I had a nagging feeling he would.

I took a few moments to steady my breathing; I closed my eyes tight as I scraped against the wall the stand. I knew I could limp there, but also knew I had to lower my injured foot to do it. I cried out as the pain in my ankle intensified twice over, a cry that surely echoed all the way into the main cavern.

I didn't bite back my shouts and sobs as I made my way back to Erik's home. After all, I'd made a promise to myself to help him out of his solitude and loneliness, even if it killed me.

And I'll be damned if I keep my pain from that promise silent.

"It's in your soul, that the true distortion lies." I heard Christine sing in her sweet but cutting voice as I pushed aside the curtain hiding the concealed entrance the tunnels. It had taken quite a while, but I finally limped to them. She wasn't too far to my left as I stumbled in.

"Charlotte?" I heard Erik whisper before my ankle throbbed angrily. I yelped a little and bent over, having the feeling that I needed to touch my ankle but knowing I shouldn't.

"Are you hurt?" I heard above me. Christine was looking at me with her wide doe eyes.

"Yes, my ankle. Can you- thank you." I said as she came over to help support me. I looked over to Erik. He held my hard gaze with that look of tenderness he'd given me after I'd returned from the Masquerade. However, a splashing on the other side of the gate distracted him.

"Wait." Erik said, glancing back to us, "I think, my dears, we have a guest." Christine and I turned.

"Raoul!' Christine yelled, distraught.

"Oh good, he found his way." I sighed. Christine ran to the water's edge, leaving me to grab hold onto a mirror for support. Erik went off on an angry and sarcastic tirade as I gritted my teeth.

"I love her. Does that mean nothing? I love her. Show some compassion." Raoul implored I shook my head.

"The world showed no compassion to him." I whispered along with the seething Erik. I wasn't sure if he heard me, because my face was up close to the mirror I was desperately holding onto. My short breaths clouded the glass, which I was thankful for; I didn't want to see the mess I was sure I looked. The sound of the gate being opened drew my gaze back to the others. With that look on Erik's face, I was starting to rethink leading Raoul down here.

"Monsieur I bid you welcome. Did you think that I would harm them?" Erik said in a low, deathly growl. I hobbled over to Christine and held on as Erik waded into the lake, "Why would I make them pay for the sins which are yours?" The gate once again closed, Erik took the opportunity to lift a rope, hidden in the water, and shoot it around Raoul's neck. Christine whimpered next to me.

"Erik!" I let slip, aghast at his violence. He whipped his head around once Raoul was successfully rendered useless. He didn't say anything, but I saw the maddened look slip ever so slightly from his twisted face. He broke eye contact to glare once more at Raoul.

"Nothing can save you now." He said, accompanying the threat with an intimidating look, "Except perhaps Christine." Erik turned away from the other man, gaining volume and that crazed look again.

"Start a new life with me; but his freedom with your love. Refuse me and send your lover to his death." Erik spat, visibly shaking, "This is the choice. This is the point of no return." Raoul panted pathetically in the background as Christine stood perfectly still. She became icy to the touch as I sympathetically held her hand.

"The tears I might have shed for your dark fate grow cold, and turn to tears of hate." Christine shot right back.

"That wasn't a good think to say just now." I said to her, shaking my head. Raoul said something of little consequence to her from his place on the gate as I limped over to Erik.

"Erik please." I begged as he grabbed a ready-made Punjab lasso.

"Charlotte, go to your room." Erik said without looking at me. My ankle protested and I had to hold onto his shoulder to keep from falling. Our eyes locked.

"Please, Erik." I took the opportunity to whisper, "You don't have to do this." I said through gritted teeth as tears streamed down my face. My ankle was really hurting me. Erik was silent, but helped me to stand straight; I just bored my eyes into his, trying to convey everything I felt without words.

"You don't need to see this." Erik finally said softly, but leaving me.

As he trudged back into the lake, his weapon of choice held in his firm grip, I covered my face with the hand not holding onto the chair. What could I do? I was just one girl. I couldn't stop anything from happening. I was just some stupid girl. Everyone was trying to sing over the others now.

"So do you end your days with me, or do you send him to his grave?"

"Why make her lie to you to save me?"

"Angel of Music..."

Stupid girl, I heard in my head.

"Don't throw your life away-"

"-the point of no return-"

"You must know-"

Stupid girl, Erik said to me as he carried my unconscious body.

"I've worked so hard to free you..."

"You've passed the point of no return..."

"Angel of Music..."

Stupid girl...

"You deceived me."

"I'm not stupid." I whispered to myself, looking up. I could fix this. I could win.

I stood firmly on both feet, ignoring the pain. I took a few determined steps. I wanted to cry out and sit and be done with. But I couldn't. I had to fight.

I took a few more slow steps. I passed Christine. My hands clenched into fists, my nails digging into my palms. The pain in my hands distracted me from the pain in my ankle. I stood tall. I stopped in front of Erik. He was looking at me with that same look, that kind, endearing gaze. My lip trembled and I felt tears spill onto my cheeks. I fell against his chest.

"Erik." I sobbed so only he could hear, "Please. Let them go." I felt him raise his hands to my shaking shoulders. I didn't know what else to say. The pain in my ankle was immense. I didn't know how much longer I could hold on, but I was willing to expend every once of my energy for Erik. Then I sang two words, so softly, so gently, that I don't even know if he heard me:

"Choose me."

I was horrified with my inability to keep the words in; what had I just done? Erik was silent for several long moments until I felt his breath on my ear.

"Can you walk?" He asked me. I shook my head slowly against his chest as I continued to cry, my fists clasping his shirt. I felt him gingerly lift me off the ground and so much of my pain was relieved instantly. I squeezed my eyes shut and turned my face away from the world. I didn't want to be seen. I listened to Erik's sloshing steps through the lake, which suddenly stopped as he hit land.

"You- you may leave. Forget me. Swear to me never to tell what you know of me." I heard Erik say with difficulty. I peeked out slightly to see Christine nod a few times before she rushed away, a white flash in the dark cavern. I heard her plunge into the lake and over to Raoul.

I was set down on the edge of Erik's bed. He made a wonderful splint for me, which alleviated almost all the pressure on my ankle. I tapped the music box I enjoyed so much as he worked. I heard him humming sadly along, and my heart wondered if I'd done the right thing.

"Does it hurt anymore?" Erik asked me as he sat beside me. I was going to reply, but noticed Christine at the door. Erik saw her too and the look that crossed his face made fresh tears come to my eyes.

Without a word, Christine slipped a ring off her left index finger and crossed the room. She reached out for Erik's hand and set the ring on his palm, leaving quickly right after.

Being able to walk fairly well now, I stood. I figured he would need a private moment and intended to leave him to it. I laid a hand briefly on his shoulder before letting it fall and turning towards the door. Erik surprised me as he gently grabbed my falling hand; he pulled me back into his arms. I turned my face onto his shoulder as he held my waist and rested his cheek on the top of my head. I felt a few of his tears slide through my hair and along my jawline.

"I didn't think you would return." He said quietly above me. I turned my face to look at him. He pulled back slightly to meet my eyes.

"Don't I always come back?" I said, nuzzling into his neck. His grip around my waist tightened possessively.

I knew he couldn't possibly be over his unrequited love for Christine in an instant, but him letting her go was proof that he could in time. And I was willing to help him, and to wait.

I reached up one tentative hand to touch the marred side of his face, and he didn't pull away.

The End
♠ ♠ ♠
IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT:

CHECK BACK FOR THE SEQUEL, WHICH WILL BE CALLED Pandora, No More.