The More I Think, The Deeper I Sink

Chapter 2

Maybe this was how bathtubs felt when the water was being drained out of them. The feeling of being full, and then the sudden sensation of your stomach literally coming up and out of you, or at least the insides of your stomach.

She clenched the sides of her gurney, all of her muscles tensed and she breathed heavily through her nostrils. She had clenched her eyes tightly together. She didn’t want to see what was going on - she could already feel every bit of it.

The nurses tried weakly to encourage her, saying how well she was doing, and that they were almost complete with their job, but the girl knew this would never end.

A few more minutes of too-tight tendons and ligaments and the squeamish feeling of the tube being pulled from her throat and they were complete. They removed the mouthpiece and left the room temporarily to dispose of the girl’s stomach contents.

The room started to swirl, her head along with it. Stay with the room, Ally, stay with the room! She started to rock from side to side, trying to stay with the spinning so she wouldn’t feel so dizzy. The room span faster. Was it racing her? Seeing how fast it could spin? Her entire body was rocking to and fro now - she had to keep up!

The nurse with the blue scrubs walked back into the room and shouted something the girl couldn’t decipher. Hands grabbed her, trying to restrain her - why were they restraining her?! The adolescent fought against the hands to a sitting position, and she stopped her thrashing abruptly when she looked upon a somehow familiar face. Red hair… blue eyes… a pale, worried face.

“Who are you?” the girl asked her mother.

“Ma’am, you might want to leave… John! John, get in here!”

But the mother didn’t leave her child, how could she? Her daughter spoke again, “I’m dreaming! I’m dreaming.”

John, a male nurse rushed into the room and behind him the girl’s father, wide-eyed and bewildered.

“Help us hold her down!”

The father and John both grabbed one of the girl’s arms, but she was already back to thrashing and fighting. She kicked and tried her best to punch. There was a sense of fire in her eyes, almost animalistic in a way.

“Let me go! Let me go!”

But they would not let her go. The nurse in the blue scrubs was working as quickly has she could to place the ECGs in their proper places on the girl’s body, but the teenager would not have it. She thrashed even more, screaming and yelling profanities. She tried to bite those who restrained her, but her mother, brought out from her shock, reached out and slapped her daughter on the mouth before she could wrap her teeth around anyone’s flesh.

The Blue Scrubs nurse worked even faster, attaching the IV and finally setting the ECGs, but the need for the child to be held down was no longer needed. She had slowly begun to calm down until there was no fight left in her.

Her mother looked at her oddly, and then said, “I think she needs to use the bathroom… Ally, do you need to use the bathroom?”

The girl nodded slowly.

The Blue Scrubs nurse sighed heavily - after all that work of getting those things off, now they had to be removed! “Okay, give me a second…”

The adolescent refused to give the nurse ‘just one second’. Before the Pink Floral Scrubs nurse, John and her father could grab her again, she had already rolled off the gurney, making her way to the restroom. John grabbed one of her arms, and the Pink Floral Scrubs nurse grabbed the other. The girl looked at the female nurse smugly, and suddenly they all heard a stream of liquid on the linoleum floor.