Status: It's a work in progress!! :) (give it a try!)

Forever Is Complex

Charpter One

"My angel! Oh you've grown!" Gran half cried. I forced a smile that hurt my cheeks. Gran pulled me into a hug, she smelled of flowers and butter. "You look so much like your mom when she was your age, doesn't she, Paul?"
"Yea, a bit." Grandpa agreed. He pulled me into a hug after I got loose of Gran's hold.
"Hi Gran, Grandpa!" I said. I wish I were back on that plane going home. I loved my grandparents, but sometimes they were a bit much, and for an entire summer? Unheard of! I'm seriously going to kill mother when I get home.
"Oh I missed you!" Gran hugged me again. This time she kissed my cheek. Her lips were cold and wet, which made me shiver.
"Alright Clara, I'm sure Karyn is tired from the flight. How long was it?" Grandpa asked, adjusting his thick rimmed glasses.
"Only 3 hours. But I'm still tired." I told him. I wheeled my suitcase forward a bit in anxiousness to leave.
"Yes, yes dear. Let's get you to the house. We're leaving for DuBois tomorrow morning! Bright and early!" Grandma Clara said overly-cheerful. She turned and started to walk towards the door.
"I'm sorry Karyn, your grandmother is so excited to have you for the summer. If there's anything I can do to make it better, let me know alright?" Grandpa apologized.
"No, I think I'm good for now Grandpa. But thanks." I tried to smile again, but I think grandpa understood I didn't want to be here at all.
"Alright, lets go before Clara gets lost, hm?" He started to waddle his way following Gran out the automatic doors of the airport. I sighed, and followed, once outside the door, the hot and dry Oklahoma air filled my lungs and watered my eyes. My suitcases wobbled dangerously over the cracks in the sidewalk outside.
It wasn't a long walk to the car. They owned a red, convertible Cadillac, shiny and old. Grandpa reached into the pocket on his khaki shorts, and pulled out the car keys. He unlocked the door and pulled the driver seat forward so I could crawl in. I left my suitcases in front of him, and brought my duffel-bag into the backseat as I tried to squeeze in. Grandpa brought my other bags to the trunk, which he also needed a key to unlock.
"Karyn, we are going to have to much fun!" Gran smiled, laughing in her old-lady way.
"Oh, great! Sounds fun!" I nodded, with deep sarcasm Clara didn't pick up on. Grandpa laughed at her, winking at me.
It was a long drive to their small, and extremely old-fashioned house. For an hour I listened to my iPod, before it died on me. I spent the next half-hour looking at people in their cars. The frantic moms, the truckers, college kids driving home to bum off their parents for the summer, the old-people traveling in RVs. Beyond the high-way, I saw cows, and grass. Lots of grass. I was surprised when I realized all of a sudden we were going much slower, and in a suburb of old houses made in the 60's and even possibly older. Grandpa turned the steering wheel, and pressed a clicker that was clipped onto the dashboard. The garage door of a faded baby blue house opened. It was a two-car garage. We drove in, straight in the middle. Gran turned and smiled to me.
"Here we are!" She giggled.
"Yea, yea I figured that's why we're in the garage of the house." I smirked at her. I didn't try to be rude, I honestly don't know why the harsh words come out. But Gran just smiled even wider.
"Is it okay if we just leave you're bags back there? We are leaving early tomorrow, so there won't be a need to unpack tonight." Grandpa said. He got out of the car and waited for me to think up my answer.
"Uh, yea sure. I guess that should be fine. What time are we leaving tomorrow?" I asked, seeing they were making such a big deal about time.
"5:00 AM. Sharp." Grandpa said, turning around and walking up two steps, leading to a door to go inside.
"5:00...yea perfect." My voice cracked.
"Come on! I made meat loaf! I just need to heat it up, hm? Sounds good right?" Gran grinned, beckoning me to follow her to the door Grandpa disappeared behind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Too much dialog! It will get better! Pinky promise, those are legit!