Status: It's a work in progress!! :) (give it a try!)

Forever Is Complex

Chapter Two

The meat loaf was bland. Plain. Dry. Gran kept looking at me grinning, and Grandpa ate in silence, reading his newspaper. I ate very little, I was tired and upset. I sighed a dramatic sigh, and Grandpa grunted, put his newspaper down, and stared at me.
"What?" He asked, grumpily.
"Oh, sorry." I quickly covered up. "May I be excused...please?"
"Fine." He said, and raised the newspaper again. I got out of my chair, then pushed it in.
"Thank you," I replied, heavily. Gran winked at me.
I brought my plate to the sink, and walked out of the kitchen. In the living room, there was a TV that looked like it was from the 1970's, and knowing Gran and Grandpa it probably was. Next to the TV, was a large bookcase reaching to the ceiling. The two bottom shelves were full of books, while the next two had nik-nacs and the top shelf had decorated-plates. I was too busy looking at the plates, and I nearly tripped on the area rug in the middle of the floor. I made my way to the narrow, steep staircase, and starting the climb up. Their were old pictures on the walls, in chipped wooden picture frames. I slowed down to look at each of them.
The first picture was of a young girl, probably about 16, and a boy about 17 or 18. It was a black and white photo. The girl was in a light colored, flowing dress, with a large bow around the waist, and large puffy sleeves. The boy was in a shirt and bow-tie with formal pants. The background was filled with balloons, and flowers, and there was a sign hanging on the wall reading PROM; 1950
Jeez, that's Grand...and Grandpa... I thought to myself, noticing Gran was actually really pretty. The next picture up was of Gran and Grandpa again, this time standing in front of a hallway, with many doors down it. They were both smiling so wide. Gran was holding a big bag, and Grandpa was carrying two large boxes. They must have moved into an apartment together. The photo after that had a man and a woman at a wedding. The woman's dress was long, and puffy, the corset-like top had many rhinestones and beading work on the chest, and it was sleeve-less. The man was very handsome in his suit and again, bow-tie. This picture you could see Gran's beautiful auburn-red hair, pulled into a loose bun.
The next picture was of Gran, hold her swollen stomach, with so much love in her eyes. Grandpa had one hand on her belly, and the other on her shoulder. The pictures went up in sequence like this. Gran and Grandpa with their first child standing in front of a house, that's my Uncle Otto, the next picture of Otto, and his new baby brother, Anders, the next picture had a 2 year old Anders, and a 5 year old Otto kissing another pregnant Grans' belly. The next picture was in Gran's bed, Grandpa laying next to her, with an arm around her. Gran held my mom, Eleanora, and two little boys hugging Gran.
Next was three teen children. Then Otto in his graduation gown, then Anders, and my mom in their graduation gowns. The next picture was of Gran and Grandpa at a party, which seemed to be Gran and Grandpa's 50th anniversary. The very last picture was, I was surprised to see, me. I saw myself and my older brother Leo. It was taken last Christmas, at Otto and his wife Lisa's house. They didn't have children, since Lisa was infertile, and Anders didn't have kids because he was gay.
I was a bit touched to see myself on the wall of Gran and Grandpa's life. I went into the first door on the right. It was my mom's old bedroom, I slept in there every time I stayed with Gran and Grandpa. It still looked like a teen from the 1980's still lived there. There were clippings from magazines of old 80's bands, and the bed was hot pink. There were even still PopRocks wrappers laying around. On the dresser you could see old make-up, and bright colored hairbands and pony-holders.
I couldn't even imagine my mom being 15 like me! I slowly walked to the dresser. The mirror sitting on top of it, had a lip-stick kiss on the side. I looked a my reflection, and frowned. I had curly, dark red hair, which was a mass of frizz from the air. I had a zit above my right eye, and I wasn't wearing make-up. I felt like a mess. I clumsily pulled my hair into a ponytail, which helped make me look a little better.
I laid in the hot pink bed for a half hour, staring at a picture of Bret Michael's, taped on the ceiling. Finally I dozed off, the light from the window kept shining in, and waking me up for a few moments, until I turned and fell asleep once again.