Status: It's a work in progress!! :) (give it a try!)

Forever Is Complex

Chapter Seven

It didn't take long for me to figure out what Sam meant. Once they left the pool, I packed my things and walked back to the condo. Gran and grandpa were playing Scrabble at the table, until gran made dinner around 5pm(pork chops, rice, and mixed veggies) After, I laid in my room reading Marked, that one vampire book.
The book was getting boring, since it was like my millionth time reading it. Every now and then, I would drift to sleep, 5 minutes....then 15 minutes..30 minutes. For a while it was that weird state where you're not really asleep, but your eyes are closed and you're drooling.
"Karyn? Are you there?" I heard gran say, while knocking on the door.
"No gran, I'm not here." I said into my pillow.
"Karyn there's a boy here, he's asking for you!" I could hear her joy and excitement.
"What?" I called out, sitting straight up.
"Jack? Jake? Tyler?" She listed in question. "One of those common names. Nick? Ryan?"
"Sam?" I asked anxiously.
"Yes! That's it! Sam!" Gran said triumphantly. "He's cute! Hurry up!"
I scrammed out of bed, and threw a big hoodie over my swim suit. The neck of the sweatshirt was torn down to my belly button. I was tripping over my own feet getting to the door. My hand automatically flew to my hair, and messed it up a bit. I was probably to the front door in 2 and a half seconds. Sure enough, there was Sam, standing uncomfortably in the doorway as grandpa seized him up, arms crossed and frown on. Sam smiled once he saw me, and I couldn't help but smile back. Grandpa gave us both one long glare, before walking away.
"I found you," Sam smiled.
"Yeah, I guess you did."
"So uh, could you...maybe come down to the pool?" He scratched the back of his head.
"Oh!" I called out in surprise. "now?"
"Yeah, if that's okay! If you want to."
"Yeah, I'll go ask my Gran. Wait here." I made stupid 'stay' hand motions, as if he were a dog. I left him there to find gran and grandpa. They weren't hard to find.
"What the hell are you doing?" I asked, very upset. They were hiding behind the wall.
"Well...inspecting this wall. Looks good, lets go Clara." Grandpa said, turning around.
"Ignore him, dear. Go with the boy!" Gran smiled. I didn't know whether to be happy, or still upset.
"Clara! You don't know him! For all we know he could be some sort of criminal!" Grandpa just about yelled.
"Paul," Gran said with a stern voice. "You're a criminal." Grandpa looked shocked.
"I can't believe you said that in front of Karyn!" He shouted again. "Karyn, it was the sixties, a lot of weird stuff happened back then."
"He hit a cop." Gran said.
"He tried to take my pot!" Grandpa said with over dramatic hand movements. I, personally, was shocked.
"You were in a playground Paul." Gran said, just as stern. "Go, Karyn. Have fun. Be back before midnight."
"Midnight!" Grandpa's voice cracked with disbelief.
"11." Gran changed. Grandpa crossed his arms.
"Okay, I'll bring my phone, anyway." I told them. I couldn't help it. I gave Gran a quick hug, and turned the corner back to Sam.
"Soo..." He started out. "Can you come with?"
"Yeah," I smiled like a fool. "Lets go, before my Grandpa changes curfew." Sam laughed a bit, and held the door open for me.
"Thanks." I blushed. No matter what guy it was, I always had this 'awww' feeling inside.
"No problem." He smiled this...this...this million dollar smile. That was as best I could describe it. "You have your bathing suit?"
"I have a swim suit." I teased.
"Ah. You must be a Northerner."
"Why yes. Minnesota, actually." I looked up at him.
"Oo, I've never been there. Is it really as cold as everyone says it is?" He asked, with one eyebrow raised, giving him a sexy appeal.
"It can be. Dead winter is gets into the negatives." Sam gave a disapproving 'oooh' sound.
"That's gotta suck balls?" He turned into a question. I could only laugh.
"Yea, it does."
We walked in silence for the next couple minutes. It wasn't awkward, it was really nice. Once we got to the pool, I was actually upset, I really didn't want the walk to be over.
"Where's your friend? Sebastian?" I asked, trying to start a conversation. Sam frowned.
"He's babysitting his little brothers." He tried to cover up his disappointment. "You into him?"
"No! Nothing like that!" I tried to convince him. "It just seemed like you guys are pretty good friends, like the 'we-do-everything-together' kind of friends."
"Yea, we kinda are." He smiled in relief.
"So.." I grinned at him. "He has siblings? Is that who Jonathon is?" Sam's face twisted.
"Yea, his 2 year old brother. He also has 9 year old twin brothers, Dante and Danby."
"Danby?" I questioned.
"Yeah, Danny. Danny and Dante are like, little genius's." Sam chuckled.
"And Jonathon?" I asked, expecting the same.
"Actually, Jonathon has down-syndrome." Sam looked down, and frowned a bit.
"Oh.." I felt stupid. "I'm sorry."
"No it's fine, you didn't know." He curled the side of his lip. "And he has an older sister, 28, Lakeisha."
"Ah. Lakeeeeeiiishaa." I laughed.
"Haha, my first thoughts exactly." Sam laughed. He lead me over towards the pool, and sat at the edge, dipping his feet in. I followed actions.
"And how 'bout you?"
"What?" Sam asked, confused.
"Sisters? Brothers?" I laughed a little.
"Oh! Duh!" He fake-hit himself in the forehead. "Little sister, Annissa. You?"
"Older brother..." I trailed off, remembering about his problem. "Leo." I finished slowly.
"What's wrong?"
"Oh, what?"
"You said that kind of...oddly." Sam looked at me.
"It's...it's.." I was close to telling him. I couldn't believe I trusted him. It must be the air. "Nothing."
"Tell me." Sam said. I shook my head. "Tell me. Tell me. Tell me. Tellmietellmietellmietellmietellmie!"
"Okay! Okay!" I shouted over him. He silenced. "My brother, Leo, his girlfriend Sienna. Well this morning he texted me, and told me she's pregnant."
"Oh my." Sam said a little startled. "How old are they?"
"There's another thing. She's 17 and he's 20."
"Okay. Illegal and in trouble." He said.
"Yeah, and I hate the bitch." I said a little louder then I should have. Sam chortled.
"Yeah.."
"I mean, she treats him like a dog! Makes him buy her things, and get her things. He has to massage her back, and he pays her rent!"
"I have on of those." Sam said stiffly, looking out into the distance.
"Controlling girlfriend?" I asked, sadly. I couldn't believe it! Girlfriend!
"Well...kind of. We broke up two months ago, after 2 years. I still don't think she gets it that we broke up! I'm so over her, yet she keeps calling me her boyfriend. It's getting so annoying." Sam ranted. "I'm so glad Sebastian talked me through breaking up with her. She's scary as fuck!"
"Sorry to hear that..." I didn't know what else to say. We sat in silence. Unlike before, this was actually really awkward. It was probably 5 minutes until the silence of the night was broken. I actually realized, it was really dark!
Sam looked at me, and I looked back curiously. He dipped his hand into the bright turquoise water. Before I could process what he was doing, he splashed me! It wasn't a big splash, but he got my face.
"Hey!" I cried out, wiping the water from my eyes. He splashed me again. I looked at him, and he smirked. I was awestruck by his adorableness. His innocence. His rebellion.
I splashed him back, and he laughed. He got up, and came behind me. Before I could move, he pushed me in. It was gently, not like Madison and I at the local YMCA. "Sam!"
"Yes?" He asked innocently. I splashed him as hard as I could, and soaked him. He laughed it off, and took a few steps back, and gave into a running start. His cannonball absolutely soaked me, even though I was already breast-deep in the water.
Once he re-emerged from the water, he flipped his hair to the left, like all those cocky football/hockey/lacrosse jocks at my school.
"You wet yet?" He winked. I splashed his face.
"You perv monkey!" I laughed, as he awkwardly tried to walk to me.
"You like it." He joked, as I tried to get away, laughing like a slut.
"Stop it, Sam!" I squealed, as he caught up to me. He put his arm around me, and his hand landed on my lower back. He pulled me close his own body, to where our stomachs were compressed against each others. The hand not on my back, was on my neck, with his thumb going across my check. It was probably the most personal I ever felt with a guy. I mean, I wasn't a virgin, but the other guy's weren't as passionate.
Sam slowly (exactly like a movie!!!) started to lean his head towards mine. I closed my eyes, waiting for the kiss, but as if it were planned, it was ruined.
"HEY! You two! Get out of here!" I was so shocked, I gave a small scream and shoved Sam away. I looked up, at an employee standing in the door, looking down at us. "Pool's closed!"
"We're sorry!" I called back to him. Sam gave me a stern, warning look, that actually freaked me out a bit.
The employee looked at the two of us more closely, and Sam looked at him back. Suddenly the employee had a look of pure terror that struck his face.
"Mr. DuBois! I'm so incredibly sorry! I didn't realize it was you! Please...please Mr.DuBois, forgive me. I didn't mean to intrude..."
What the hell was going on?
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh oh ohhh! What's going on!?!?