Status: on hiatus. got other things to manage, not sure when i'll continue this, though. sorry guys. ;L

Beneath Summer Skies and Four Letter Lies

Strange.

"No, darling," the woman uttered with outstanding valor as she locked the trembling hands of the unsettled man with hers, for she was sure that what she speak of was far beyond the verge of fallacy, but only in the unsullied euphoria of the truth. "Love is the silent voice in your mind that is loudly spoken by your heart; it is soaring with the wind, over the mountain tops, and even in the sounds of the wing beat of a butterfly. It is there, for it is everywhere...for us."

I closed the book a minute after reading the first part of its prologue, and crinkled my nose in disgust.

What a load of bull.

"You dare call this thing a book?!" I told Poppy, lifting the book until it reached my eye level.

"Yes, Johanna. I call that a book. Now give it back!" she screamed in her fluffy-soft voice, reaching for the thing she dare call a 'book', which was now imprisoned in my raised hands.

"You have weird taste in reading," I said, finally throwing it back to her. "Have you heard of comic books before? It's way more fun to read than that piece of—"

"Duh! I read it because I can relate to it," she defended as she hugged her oh-so-precious book. We had been sitting on the bamboo stools in the snack bar of the beach for about an hour now, and I got bored so I had grabbed the book Poppy's eyes had been buried on out of curiosity, only to realize that it wasn't my type of book, if you know what I mean.

"Well I've read it, but I still can't relate to it. Why is that, then?" Okay, I only read the first part, but still...it already spelled out the big and blunt words B-O-R-I-N-G-G-G-G to me.

Poppy smiled.

"That's because you've never been in love before."

Her sudden words made me glare at her.

Even though Poppy's my cousin, she doesn't know a thing about me at all.

Maybe it's because we never really hang out before.

Until this summer that is.

I blame Mrs. Nessenkins, Poppy's mother, for all this.

Ever since she became a widow, she became...well, to put it mildly, she became a bit...err...eccentric.

Well, not really.

To be honest, she's kind of a nut bar, if you ask me. I think so, because she talks weird and collects different kinds of stuff—picture frames with no pictures, miniature of her favorite violinist and cats, and all these creepy-looking dolls. Worse, it was all over their place, which made it look like some kind of magic lair instead of a house when people go inside. And I will never forget the first time I first saw her. I think I was about six or seven when I had cried and exclaimed to my mother, "Mommy, I thought you said witches aren't real?!"

Mrs. Nessenkins had forgiven me about that, and since then, her eccentricity wasn't jotted down in my problems-that-torture-my-poor-seventeen-year-old-soul list.

That was, until my pre-summer month.

I could still remember the time I was there at the safety of my comfortable house, drinking a nice cup of iced tea in the living room and living happily ever after, when Mrs. N barged in at our house for a visit and told my mom to let me stay with Poppy at their house over the summer. She had told her I'm gonna have fun at her place with Poppy, because the Nessenkins house was near the beach, where we could play all day and stuff like that.

Yeah, thank you so much, Mrs. Nessenkins. I'm really having fun right now. Weeeee. Look at me. I'm so lucky. I'm having shizloads of fun. Get jealous, people. If getting your cousin to yell at you for suddenly stealing an uber cheesy romance novel from her 'cause you told her it's just a bunch of crap was your definition of fun.

Well, I'm not really that close to any of my cousins, especially Poppy. So it's understandable that she doesn't know me that much.

She doesn't know that...that—

Oh crap.

I remembered it again.

What the hell, Johanna. Stop remembering things.

You need to forget what happened...that's all you have to do. Forget. Forget. Forget.


I just sighed to shake off the thought.

"I'm gonna go take a walk," I told Poppy, because my brain and heart suddenly started feeling all heavy, and she just nodded as she buried her face on her book again.

I went outside the snack bar, and took in the fresh summer air dancing gently on my face. It tasted like fresh salt and sea water, and I silently sauntered towards the shore of the beach as it filled my tongue.

You need to forget, I told myself. Forget about him.

Forget about Brian.

A minute after, I found myself sitting on the shore, with my toes buried halfway underneath the white powdery sand, and gazing at the silent afternoon sky.

He's your first and last boyfriend.

He cheated on you.

And worse of all, he made you think you actually felt the 'thing' crazy girls like Poppy feel so crazy about.

That 'thing' that's not even there.

It doesn't exist...

..,so get a hold of yourself and forget about it, okay?


And there I was, complaining to myself...

...still sane and all alone...

...when a boy sat beside me.

A boy that I solemnly swear I have never seen before, sat beside me.

I glanced at him.

He was sitting a little too close, so my eyes reflexively examined his features.

He was about my age, and his shaggy hair looked a bit messy as it contrasted with his pale skin. The piercing on his left ear glistened, and his white shirt had some kind of unreadable band name scribbled on it.

The wierd thing was that he was looking at me, with lips that were smoothly curled into a smile, but his dull gray eyes didn't show any kind of emotion at all.

Okay, he looked like the kind of guy girls like me would normally swoon over, to think the truth.

But I tried to give him the hardest glare I could manage—I'm in my delicate forgetting-my-ex phase at the moment, so I'm not in the mood to chat.

He smiled.

"You're cute. What's your name?" the stranger suddenly asked, his voice soft and velvety.

I continued looking at him in a bad manner, and said, "Go away."

Silence followed, and his smile faded.

But he didn't follow what I said, instead, he stayed quiet beside me.

I ignored him for a while and gazed out at the horizon, and marveled at the sight of how the setting sun was at its most beautiful stance, and at the sky that had never been so clear. It was in its deepest orange hue, with a few birds soaring with the calm afternoon wind.

And I swear, I was innocent and silent and still like a freakin' statue, when, without any warning, the boy sitting next to me moved closer...

...and suddenly pinched my cheeks with both hands. "Cute."

What the...

"Hey—get away from me!" I shouted through stretched cheeks—his pinch hurt really bad—and pushed him. I pushed him hard. Weirdo.

His smirk returned, exhibiting nice rows of pearl-white teeth.

"What's your name? I'm Wayde."

"Go. Away!!!" And in case you wanna know, that scream came with a super death glare burning at its highest peak, in which I think he failed to notice.

But his smile widened, as if he never heard me scream in agony a second ago.

"No way, I like you. Will you be my girlfriend?"

I opened my mouth out of so much shock, that I honestly felt like my lips were about to fall. I can't believe this dude—I can't believe him at all. He's in desperate need for a Q-tip.

"You don't even know my name, and you're asking me to be your girlfriend?!"

"That's because you won't tell me. But that's okay, there's no need to," he said and—I swear to God, I am not kidding—tenderly clutched my hand. "I'll call you 'sweetheart' instead."

I shoved his hands away as hard as I could.

What the heck is happening?!

"You're annoying!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "Go away!!!"

And there we were, me glaring at this boy I don't even know, shouting my go-aways, and him smiling like an idiot, when...

...THUD.

A ball suddenly hit him hard on his back, making me lay down the soft sand as he fell to me.

And it was the most shocking moment of my life.

The guy who threw the ball apologized and walked away, and the weirdo and I both looked at each other, still lying and frozen as ice, and I could practically feel his breath lingering on my face, when all of a sudden...

...a smile traced out on his features as he began lowering his head for his lips to meet mine.

What the...!

That's the moment when my senses became fully aware again.

I gave him my hardest push, and gave him a good kick on the shin until he was far enough from me.

"Ouch! What'd you do that for?" he screamed in sorrow, and started rubbing his knees from the pain.

"You..." I pointed my finger at him. "You...PERVERT!"

To my irritation, this weird boy started laughing, and showed that bent smile that...

...that made me feel all strange and fuzzy inside.

"What's so perverted about that? I just wanted to kiss this beautiful angel beside me...'cause I think I fell in love the first time I saw her."
♠ ♠ ♠
subscribe? comment?
should i change it back to the old one?
is sumthing wrong with this or do i need to change sumthing?
*screams frantically*
me wanna knows watcha think cuz they really help, duh.
read my other story(ies) if you likeeee.
'mkay, thanks, luvya, bye XD