She'll Be The Death Of Me

Three

John’s POV:
That night, we started asking each other questions. After we got back from McDonalds, I took her to meet the rest of my band. She became instant best friends with Pat, who was now like her brother.

“All right, my turn,” I said after I answered her question about who my first kiss was with, and thought about what I wanted to ask next. “Worst date you’ve ever been on?” I asked finally.

She thought for a minute. “I would have to say, in ninth grade, with this guy named Danny, he took me to a restaurant and on the way back to his seat, tripped and fell on top of me, breaking my wrist in the process,” I burst out laughing, and she pouted. “It’s not funny Jonathaaan! It huuurt!” She whined.

I bit my lip to stop laughing and pulled her into my chest as I sat back farther on the couch. “I’m sorry. It’s your turn,” I smiled.

She relaxed and shifted her weight under me, and started to think of another- most likely embarrassing – question to ask me. She started laughing out of nowhere, and laughed harder as I looked at her like she was crazy. She calmed down and asked me, “Boxers or briefs?”

I shook my head smiling. “Why do you want to know?” She shrugged. I hesitated a moment, then answered. “Boxers.” She giggled. “You’re just like Jack,”

“That’s insulting!” She pouted again. I smiled.

“My turn!” I sang out. “Whose better, me, Pat or Jack?”

“You,” She answered quickly, smiling. “Jack’s weird, and so are his friends. Well, you’re weird too, that’s why you’re his friend, but you’re not as bad. Pat’s cool, but you bought me McDonalds, therefore I like you better,” I smiled.

- - -

“Maaaaaarshalll!” Mackenzie sang, running full speed towards Alex Marshall- at eight in the morning -and his band mates from The Cab. She jumped into his arms and he caught her, spinning her around. I felt a small wave of envy pang through my system, until she called me over, smiling wide.

I walked over, and fist pounded Marshall. “I didn’t know you were friends with Wacky here,” I commented.

“I don’t see Jack anywhere?” Mackenzie joked, looking left and right. She smiled, stretched up, and wrapped her arm around my shoulder. “Jack had Marshall and his boys over one time when I was over his house.” Marshall looked confused at our closeness, and Mackenzie answered the question in his eyes with a sarcastic, “Yes Marshall, I’m having O’Callaghan’s baby,”

His jaw dropped, and we both started laughing. “Kidding Marshy.” She said. He shook his head in disapproval.

“All right there, Mackers, we’ve gotta go, we will see you later.” Marshall said, giving us the peace sign before turning on his heel and skipping away.

We laughed and started walking around again. She had fallen asleep in my bus as we were asking questions about each other’s lives. I had learned a lot about her that night. I learned her favorite color was pink, she named had a dog named Fluffy, yes a dog, not a cat.

She was born in Texas, and moved to Maryland when she was ten, where she quickly became best friends with Jack Barakat, who introduced her to Alex, Rian and Zack. She was terrified of frogs and went on her first upside-down roller coaster when she was twelve, because Alex forced her to. And one of the best things I learned about Mackenzie King that night was, she was single.

“John, lets get ice cream!” Mackenzie requested randomly.

“You’re crazy, woman! It’s not even nine in the morning yet and you want me to buy ice cream? Are there even ice cream stores open right now?”

“You could hug some girl walking on the street and she would buy you all the ice cream in the world, just because you’re John O’Callaghan.” She said. I chuckled.

In the end, I bought her a chocolate ice cream cone and we sat down on a bench as she bit into it. “Thank you Johnnnyyy,” She cooed.

I laughed and nodded. “I need a nickname for you,” I started thinking of something I could call her. “Mack and Cheese!”

“No.” She rejected my suggestion.

“Um, how about…” I started thinking again. “Mackie?”

She smiled. “I like that Jonathan,” She bit down onto the cone again, getting chocolate on the tip of her nose. I started laughing as she tried to lick it off.

“Use a napkin you loser,” I joked, wiping her nose with a napkin I took off of a table that belonged to a nearby restaurant. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms and I continued to wipe the rest of the ice cream off of her nose.

“Thank you father, for cleaning me.” She teased once I threw the napkin away.

“Ew, I have your nose juice on my hands,” I said playfully, wiping my hands on her sleeve.

“You suckkkk!” She whined. I pointed to the ice cream and she beamed at me. “I love you Johnny.” She slid closer to me on the bench and hugged me with one arm, because she was holding the cone in the other.

“You only love me for my money, bitch. What happens when I go broke?” I asked. She finished the ice cream and looked at me.

“Aw, Jonathan, I’ll still love you after I make you spend all your money on feeding me,” She said, messing up my hair and bounding off, pulling me behind her. Her hand fit perfectly in mine, and I think she could tell too.