Voice: A Lovely Sound

First Glimpse

Image

While Hope and a billion other girl are worried about not making friends, or having a bad first impression, I was terrified. I definitely don't want anyone finding out I have schizophrenia. The only people that know are Hope, my mom and my therapist; I'd like to keep it this way. don't know what I'd do if they found out.
Schizophrenia is basically this mental illness, I see, hear and feel stuff that aren't real. It's like living my own imaginary world where all the evil lives. I don't control anything.
I'm sitting now in history class, my teacher has been teaching me for years now, he is a young man, probably in his 20's, and single. I know he's single because all the girls are gossiping about him, they like him for some reason. I'm not going to lie, Mr. Thomas is an amazing teacher, but he gets on my nerves sometimes.

"Alex.." I felt Mr. Thomas nudging my shoulder, then I realized I slept in his class, I guess I made a first bad impression with the kids, but not to him since I've known him for years now.

"Shit, I'm sorry." I apologized, all the other kids started laughing at me, I could hear them making fun of me; like I care.

"Why are you so tired?" He asked with a concerned look on his face. I just wanted to tell him what happened to me last night that prevented me to sleep. But I don't want him to know about the fact I have schizophrenia; he might tell someone. So I just blamed it on the TV.

"My favorite TV show was on at 4 in the morning.." I said scared he'll figure out that I'm lying. "I'll never do it again." I continued.

"Your favorite TV show? I thought you don't watch TV?" He said, I never knew that he knows me too well.

"Yeah, well. I really like this one in particular." I answered. Normally, I'm a bad liar but I'm doing such a good job so far. He believed me and he continued teaching. I kept staring at my watch looking at the time, just 6 more minutes left.
The 6 minutes felt like 6 hours.

When the 6 minutes passed, it was time for us to get out of school.

"Hey, want to hang out at the mall today with Tony and I?" Hope requested, her favorite place to hang out is the mall, we always go there. As much as I want to say yes, I couldn't. I promised my mom I'd go buy pizza for dinner. She's been too lazy to do anything since that divorce, that's why I was too scared to eat her pancakes this morning.
My parents got a divorce a year ago and my mom still didn't get over it, I think they got it because my dad couldn't take my schizophrenia moments. So he married a young french girl, moved to france and we didn't see him since then. So it's just me, mom living in this big house.

"No, I can't" I denied her request, then I explained why I couldn't go.

"Pizza sounds good right now." she smiled and considered coming with me, but she was too excited to be with her friend Tony for pizza, which is a first. We both said our goodbyes as she drove away in her car. I'd drive a car too, but the Pizza place is right next door and quite frankly, I enjoy walking.

I opened the Pizza place door and got in, I examined the place, I could smell the pizza, I see kids getting excited over cooking with the chef, I see a girl sitting with her boyfriend sharing a milkshake, I see a girl slapping her boyfriend for some unknown reason; could be for cheating on her, could be because he stole her pizza?
I looked at my left and noticed this strange boy and I suddenly felt something in my tummy, something I never felt before. He's about 5'10 to 6', looks like he's my age, pale white skin, a mohawk with green on the tips that match his piercing green eyes.
I felt butterflies, he was unique.. and I liked it.