Status: Progressing

Trois D'Eiffel

The End

Eden’s breathing hinged in her chest. Out of the corner of her vision, she could see Nathaniel’s demeanor change into that of query.
She turned on her nude heel, keeping her vision to the stitches of the carpet. The valley of her bottom lip became faint as she bit it to keep composure.
“Yes, Monsieur Pilati?”
He pushed his glasses over the bridge of his nose, his naked eye having more impact on her. “What happened to ze original templates by Trent, Holly, and James, zat I asked for?”
“Hmm?” Her head jerked level with his, but her gaze maintained to avoid his.
“Ze original templates,” Pilati clarified, pushing the artistry forward, “Zese are not ze original templates. Where are zey?”
“Well, uh…” Eden’s mind was running a million miles a minute as she tried to find the perfect explanation that was far from the truth. “…are you sure? I mean, those were the ones I was given to file away.” She was looming over his desk, pretending as if she had no clue about the mishap.
Pilati did not look pleased or convinced. The brunette was running dry with ideas to fend him off any longer. She knew he had her and there was no where to go but up.
“Zese are not ze designs. Zere is no lying to me. I know zem all too well. Where are ze designs?!”
Eden dropped her head in defeat, “ I’m so sorry. I know we were not supposed to go outside the break room with food, but I was so behind on the filing. It was all just too much, plus I wanted to see some of the work…and…”
Pilati placed a hand over hers as if to soothe her, “What happened to ze originals?”
She threw her arms up, exasperated. “I spilled ramen over them.” Through her blurry vision, she watched as Pilati put his hands over his face, obviously disappointed in her.
Her career was over, just as she predicted. Pilati would yell for her to leave and never come back. She’d be forced onto the streets, unable to go back home because she had no money. A petite, knockoff French street rat.
She reached over, grasping his cuffs. “But I tried to make it better! I copied the designs the best that I could. Sure there are some alterations, but I just…” Eden could see her words weren’t seeping into him as he raised his hand to her.
“Please, just leave.”
“But…”
“Leave,” he answered sternly.
With no more fight left in her, Eden sighed and left his office.
♠ ♠ ♠
Originally written by Lupin