Status: Extended Hiatus :( (possibly discontinued)

The Prince and the Pauper

Attis

Attis still couldn’t remember who the headmaster was – or where he’d seen her. He knew a memory of her was locked somewhere in his brain, but he couldn’t find it. She was very kind though. She was like the mother he never had. She introduced him to the other ten orphans, most of which were children. Three were his age: Mike, Dan, and Cliff.

He shared a room with Mike. Dan and Cliff had their own room, while the other orphans split off with each other. The foster home wasn’t very large, but it had more room that Cory and Layla’s apartment.

After helping Attis unpack in his room, Headmaster Victoria left him. As he stared in his room, getting to know the wooden floor, white walls, and the furniture placement, Mike walked in. An iPod was blasting in his ears. He was switching through songs, his eyes on the small screen. Then he looked up at Attis.

“Hey… You can’t talk?” he asked, turning the volume down.

Attis hated this. If he nodded it could taken as a yes, he couldn’t talk, or a no, he could talk.

“You can talk but you don’t want to,” Mike said after a while.

Attis nodded. Thank goodness this boy said that. If he didn’t, Attis would have to find another way to tell him. He smiled when Mike smiled. Mike looked like a nice boy. He had on a blue bandana over his black hair. His skin was light, and his eyes were a beautiful blue. He was an inch shorter than Attis, a cute shorty at that.

“How do you want to communicate? With a notepad? You could, uh, write on this one,” Mike said as he pointed to a notebook on his bunk bed.

Attis smiled shyly and shook his head.

“Oh. Okay then. Just offering…” Mike crawled onto the lower bunk and continued to shuffle through his iPod, turning the volume up.

Attis had the top bunk. Great. He’d probably end up rolling off during the night. He kicked off his shoes and climbed up the ladder, flinging himself on the bunk. He buried his face in the pillow, smiling. It was soft. He closed his eyes and relaxed.

“You look comfy here already,” another voice said. Attis’s eyes shot open. He sat up and looked at the door. Cliff was standing there, a smile on his face. He looked intimating with a mess of black hair, but he was really kind. Actually, most of the orphans were kind.

Except for Dan.

“He looks like a fag,” Dan said from behind Cliff. He looked innocent, kind, caring. He really was a jerk. He was a fake. He had shaggy brown hair, a short figure, and an angry look on his pretty face.

“Don’t talk about yourself like that,” Mike said, emotionless.

Dan scowled then said, “I don’t like him.” It was as if Attis was either deaf or wasn’t there.

“You don’t have to be rude,” Cliff snapped. He shoved Dan past the door. He looked back at Attis, who had a blank expression on his face. “Ignore him. He hates all new orphans, but he’ll warm up.”

Attis nodded. He didn’t like Dan. He reminded him a little of Cory…

“You’ll like it here,” Cliff said, coming to Attis. He smiled angelically and climbed up the ladder. Attis backed up towards his pillow. He didn’t want anyone else closer to him than Lyle. “Hey, I’m not gonna hurt you,” Cliff chuckled.

Cliff crawled to Attis. Attis continued to back up until he was against the wall.

“Did your parents abuse you?” Cliff cocked his head.

Attis looked away.

“I’m sorry. I was too.”

Attis looked back at him.

“When I first came here I didn’t want anyone to touch me, ‘cause I was scared they’d hurt me. Is that what’s going in your mind?” he asked.

Attis nodded.

“I won’t hurt you! Come here, I’ll give you a hug!” Cliff stretched his arms out.

Attis stared at them. Should he go in for the hug? He did. He slowly moved to Cliff. When they were just a foot away, Cliff pounced on him, squeezing him tight. Attis gasped for air. He felt like his lungs were getting crushed.

“You’re so huggable!” Cliff giggled.

“If he hugs you too tight, tap out,” Mike said from below.

Attis tapped Cliff’s sides, and he was released. He gulped in air. He never thought he could get the air squeezed out of him from a hug.

“I’m sorry… I love giving hugs,” Cliff said. He smiled.

“You know who else loves giving hugs?” Mike asked.

“You?”

“No. Dan does.”

“Yeah right,” Cliff laughed. Attis was in a trance. Cliff reminded him somewhat of Lyle. Lyle… Attis wanted Lyle right now. He wanted to be in Lyle’s arms. And he wanted it now.