Status: Slow but ongoing

Finding Magyk

Xam

I walk home not paying attention to where I'm going and almost miss my turn. It was amazing, the surge of power that entered my hand from his. It made me feel weightless and the most powerful person in the world, I missed the feeling already. I think, if I'm not careful, I could become addicted.
Quietly I unlocked the door, I had already missed Dinner. I am so dead. I thought as I shut the door behind me, the house was dark and grandpa would be in bed already, that left Ben.
Ben acted like an overprotective father, which annoyed me a hell of a lot, it explained why he did it.
I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and crept up the stairs, Ben's room light was on and his door was shut, I was home free. I opened my door and flicked on the light, Ben stood in the middle of the room with a raised eyebrow and crossed arms.
"Hey, bro'" I waved slightly and took a bite of my apple.
"Max, it's pass seven you missed dinner, didn't answer your phone and the streetlights are on. And I have this growing suspicion you were with a guy." He practically exploded at me.
He was right, on all of those things, but like I was gonna admit that.
I roll my eyes, “I’m sixteen. I shouldn’t need a curfew and I can make my own dinner. I’m also with a guy right now, you. I live with guys, Ben. And you remember Adrian just as well as I do.”

“Yeah I know. But your my little sister, I’m supposed to be protective, it's my job.”
“Whatever B.” I avoid his eyes and push him out of my room, locking the door after him. I threw the rest of the apple into my bin and went to my window. Ben acted like a Dad because I had grown up without one, unlike Ben who actually remembered him.

I sat on the window ledge to think. Magyk is real. I’m Magyk. I doubt Art knew how many questions I had now that he had told me. If I’m Magyk does that mean my parents were? Is Ben? Are all the things from the fairy tales real? That question chilled me to the bone and I didn’t know why.
“Will you visit me tonight Dante? I need answers, and I know you have them.” I don’t know why I said it, and I don’t know if I really expected an answer, I didn’t get one either way. A cool wind blew through the open window and I shivered, not from the cold, but from what could be out there watching.
I turned and got into bed closing my window just in case.

***
The next two days passed quickly and without incident. I avoided Art when I could, my brain was still in a muddle and I needed to make a mental list of what was the most important thing to ask about before I forgot it. One of those things was the birds. I had looked up what the crows and ravens could mean and it didn’t look good to me. Crows symbolized many things most doing with bad luck and death, and Ravens symbolized mystery and messages.
Something was defiantly up, and I had to find out.
By the time the weekend arrived I was ready to talk about Magyk and Art hinted at showing me some more Magyk. We agreed on a time and decided to meet in the forest, I don’t know why, it was Arts idea.
I was in the kitchen packing my bag when Ben walked in, he was silent for a moment before asking where I was going and when I’d be back.
“Art’s forest, dunno.” I replied not once looking up from the bag, I shoved two apples in and closed the bag, “back later” I waved over my shoulder.

When I got to Arts house he was waiting on the front step, I got straight to the point. “Are the fairy tales creatures real?”
“Yes.” He said in a heartbeat. We started walking around the back, towards the forest.
“Is my family Magykcal?”
He didn’t give me an answer to that one, "Uh-uh. My turn. Why did you believe so strongly this didn't exist?"
“Uh, well...I had never seen anything that was worth calling Magyk and wasn’t told fairy tales when I was a kid,” I shrug. “Ben never liked fairy tales. Can you answer my question now?” I ask and grab onto Art’s arm as I semi trip over a stick.
He cocks his head, thinking about it. "They could be. Some mages are born into magykal families, and others are not. It varies." He pauses. "Now me. Why is your brother so protective over you?"
I open my mouth and close it, I guess I’m surprised by the question. “How do you know he is?”
“You think I don’t notice the way he hovers over you when I’m around? He’s protective.” He replied, his green eyes staring into mine.
I shrug, “sorry Art. Ben's always been protective ever since Dad died, he really needs to get himself a girlfriend. Anyway,” I waved my hand as if to make the topic disappear. “Where are we going? And what do Ravens and Crows mean in the Magyk world?” I almost trip again and grab onto his hand to regain my balance. He smiles slightly and I immediately drop his hand, “quit smiling, you look like a dork.” I mumble and look the other way.
He opens his mouth to say something, thinks better of it, and closes it. Then he tries again, this time forming actual words. "Nowhere in particular. Just wandering. As for the crows and ravens... It depends on the circumstance. Why?"

“On the first day of school they were everywhere, didn’t you see them?” I frown slightly and glance back at him. “Never mind I’m sure it’s nothing. Why is your hair so weird? I mean its black and green, but it doesn’t look dyed.” I looked around and realize where we are, the clearing where I last saw Dan. I run up to the swing and use it to help me climb up the tree, I sigh and brush the hair out of my face and close my eyes, letting the small amount of sunlight warm my face.
He stops, watching me from the ground. He frowns, probably considering the crows thing, then, without looking away or changing his expression, "It's natural. My family line has had bizarre hair for ages. The Magyk influences the body if used enough."
“Weird. What are you, anyway? Mage, Fairy?” I ask closing my eyes again, The sun was warm and it had been a cool temperature for most of the day.
Art leaped onto the swing,it swung slightly as he leaned against the tree trunk next to my dangling leg. "Are you interrogating me, or writing a report on Magyk? He asked and I could practically hear the smirk in his voice.
"Very funny".
"I try".
"I guess I just wanna know more about the world that I'm know part of, ya' know? I never felt like I really belonged, parent situation aside. Guess I was right," I sighed and pulled my leg up, and turned myself so I was hanging upside down.
"For some people, Magyk is the norm," he said quietly.
"Not for me or the people here. Speaking of, when do I get to see the Magyk world?"
He hesitated, cocking his head slightly. "Soon. Maybe."
Always with the maybes. Couldn't he just say "Yes"? I'll keep bugging him till we go, anyway.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh hi thar. I got bored so fiddled with the title.
PLEASE PLEASE comment silent readers? Please?
Major Edited
:D

~Max~