Status: Slow but ongoing

Finding Magyk

Art

We got outside a lot sooner than I would have if I was on my own, because Max had pulled me along after her claiming I was 'going too slow'. That girl... We picked a metal bench under a large tree on the hillside at the edge of the school grounds to eat lunch on. Max just slumped down, seemingly without a care in the world, while I tentatively perched on the edge. I thought about whether or not I actually wanted to be friends with Max. She was the only person I'd had any sort of conversation with, and she was a pretty fun person to be with, albeit a bit overwhelming at times. Keeping in mind her overbearing Aura.
On that note, I got to thinking about when I should check, see if it was her Aura or just her personality, if it was my mistake...
"Hey, are you gonna eat or what?" My thoughts were interrupted by Max, and I snapped out of it to find her staring at me, chewing on something -a sandwich, I saw, was in her hands.
"Uhm... I'm not hungry," I said quietly, wondering if she'd think my eating habits were entirely ridiculous.
She shrugged, not appearing to care. "Your choice," She mumbled, taking another bite. I looked back down at the ground in front of me, struggling not to lapse back into deep thought. Max was quiet, which was unusual, and didn't appear to be paying much attention to me, so I decided to take this time to 'check' her.
I tilted my head a little to face her, but in a way that she wouldn't notice I was looking at her. My crop of shaggy black-green hair hung over my eyes a little -I was in need of a haircut- but that wouldn't matter. I refocused my eyes, tapping in to my special ability, and I could feel the change already. When I first learned I could do this, it took nearly an hour to fully refocus, but I kept losing it and snapping back to my natural vision. I'd been practicing a lot more lately, and could do it almost instantly and hold it for a few hours. Different colours began seeping in from the sides of my vision, and after a few seconds my vision had completely changed.
And oh my goodness, she was amazing. I was right -her Aura stood out like a sore thumb, her colour and shape more distinct and unique than anything I'd ever seen before other than Master. Her Aura was a deep, blackish violet, with hints of every other colour I could see around her. It was amazing. Not only was her Aura incredible, but she was unconsciously absorbing power from around her.
"Hellooo, Space Cadet? Earth to Artemis?" I instantly snapped out of it, the colour dispersing and my vision returning to normal.
"What? Was I staring again?" I asked, pretending I wasn't aware of what I had been doing.
"Yes, but that's not it. I called you name several times," She said, frowning. She'd already finished her sandwich, which got me worried -how long had I been doing that for? Longer than it felt?
"Oh. I'll put that to mind..." I said, trailing off. We sat there in semi-silence for a short while (The other kids around us were making more noise than the cafeteria back where I used to live -and that was noisy) before I decided to take a risky stab. "Hey, just a question..." I said, leaving it hanging to see if she was okay with me asking questions.
"Yeah?"
"Do you believe in Magyk?"
"..." She just sat there staring at me for a short moment, then burst out laughing. I waited patiently for her to finish, and when she was, she spoke, a few little chuckles entering her speech here and there. "Are you serious?! No way! That stuff's ridiculous! As if Magyk exists!" She laughed a bit again, and I managed not to frown at her.
"W-what makes you think that?"
"Really, Artemis? You've gotta be joking." When I shook my head slowly, she realized I was serious. "Okay. One, if it did, wouldn't we have found out by now? Two, if it did and we hadn't found out, what's the point in believing it's even there? Really, it's a stupid idea. I don't know what's wrong with you -no offense- but it's stupid to believe that." I looked back down, processing this new information. Wow, she wasn't even leaving room for compromise. Maybe this was a lost cause.
"Well... Don't you think there's even a slight possibility? What if we have found it, but we're keeping it a secret? What if there was a whole alternate dimension where Magyk reigned the base of civilization?" I'd let on more than I should have, but I doubt she would have listened. Which turned out to be a correct assumption.
"Yeah right. That's even worse." She rolled her eyes, and stood up. "Wanna go check out the library?" She asked, changing the subject, and honestly, deep down, I was glad she did.
I nodded and stood, my bag still on my back from before, and followed her, trying my hardest to keep my thoughts off of what I should do about Max.
Damn, this job would be harder than I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
The usual comment/subscribe deal. Thank ya'll for sticking around while we wrote, and then re-wrote. Many pleases and thank yous to all!
-Kris