Status: Slow but ongoing

Finding Magyk

Art

I sighed softly, walking out of my SoSE room with my bag over one shoulder. I had so much on my mind, so many things I was worrying over. I felt like my head would explode in a mess of words and colours, like a book and a paint pallet mixed together.

I went outside, checking the time on the underside of my wrist. Seeing it was still early, I leaned my back against the wall just outside the canteen, wondering if Max would show up. I wasn't wondering that for long -she walked out, her shoulder length red hair flicking around her face as she turned her head. Spotting me, she waved, walking over. She looked a little more distracted, and that just added another thing to the huge list that was running through my head.

"Hey," She said, leaning against the wall next to me. I turned my head back to look at the area in front of me, my view spanning out across the courtyard and up to the grassy hill and the small mountain behind it.

"Hi," I mumbled in response, absently fingering the folded piece of paper, my schedule, in the pocket of my shorts. We stood in silence for a few seconds, bar the sounds of the other kids around us.

"So... What did you do in your class?" She asked me, and I could see out of my peripherals that she was looking at me. It seemed as though she was trying to keep her mind off of something, but I couldn't imagine what. I thought about her question, not really sure. I needed to pay more attention to these things, even if it was only semi-permanent.

"Uhm. Something Greek, I think..." I said quietly, looking over at her. "You?"

"Yeah, something like that." She shrugged slightly, looking around at the courtyard in front of us. "Where do you want to sit?" She asked, looking back at me. I mimicked her shrug, and she rolled her eyes a little. She pushed herself off the wall, walking off, and I followed suit. She sat down just outside a door that looked like it hadn't been used in a while, a little concrete platform with three or four steps going up to it and metal tubular railing going around it. I sat on one of the steps, making me look her height now. I pulled out a book and started reading it as Max ate, reading about half a page before my thoughts got the better of me again, and I just stared blankly at the pages.

"Hey, so do you play any sports?" Max's question took me out of my thoughts, her voice filling my head. I shook my head.

"None." Unless Magyk casting counted as a sport. "How about you?"

"Nope. Though I do like PE." She smiled slightly at me, and I gave her a little half-smile in return.

"Good thing we have that next, then?"

"Uh-huh." I half smiled again, looking down to check the time. Two o'clock.
"Speaking of, I'm going to go get changed," I said, standing up, picking my bag up and putting it over my shoulder.

"Oh! I should do that, too." She stood as well, picking up her bag. I waved her goodbye as I headed off to the bathroom to change into my PE top, then headed down to the Gym.The bell went, and I walked in, putting my bag in the change room and heading up the stairs to the main part of the gym, sitting in the corner where my class was. I saw Max sit in a different corner, as she didn't have the same class, but all the PE classes joined up as one, sitting along the line in the middle of the spacious room, across from somebody.

Max and I ended up on the same team for Multi-sport, a game where a number such as five or three gets called out and that many people go to play one of three games. I only got to play one game of soccer and two of European handball before the bell went.

I went down to the change room, changing back to my normal shirt and grabbing my bag, heading outside. I started walking across the oval, heading home, when Max ran up behind me.
"Hey Artemis! Do you walk home?" She asked me, putting both straps of her bag over her shoulder.

"Yeah, why?" I replied.

"Mind if I join you?" So she walked home, too?

"Feel free." She smiled, and I loved the way her perfectly straight teeth gleamed in the sunlight. I smiled back, and we got to talking about whatever came up as we headed home.