Where I'll Find Hope

Chapter 2

Walking into her uncle's house, Kendall heard loud voices coming from the kitchen. Her Aunt Mary Beth was making a family breakfast and her younger cousin Bryan was getting in the way more than he was helping by the sounds of everything. Sliding her sunglasses up into her hair, she smiled at them.

“Well look what the cat dragged in.”

“Morning to you, too.”

“Did you have a good night?” Mary Beth asked as she watched Kendall take a seat at the kitchen table.

“It was definitely memorable.”

“First night back in Pittsburgh and you are already going out?” her uncle asked walking into the kitchen in a pair of sweatpants and white shirt.

“It was the first time since Wade that I felt I could go out and have fun.”

“Does he know that you left Chicago?”

“He's on a business trip in L.A., so whenever he gets back and sees all my stuff is gone then I'm sure that he'll figure it out. I almost feel bad for the way I left.”

“Don't. He put you in a bad position and he hurt you and he should be luck that I don't send some of the guys to go rough him up the next time we are in Chicago.”

“I shouldn't have let it get as far as I did. I blame myself for it. But I wouldn't have had the strength to leave if it weren't for your support, it truly means the world to me.” Kendall said.

“Kendall,” her uncle said getting her attention. “You can't blame yourself for this. You didn't do anything wrong. Wade needs help and you did the best you could, but sometimes there isn't anything you can do.”

“I really didn't think there was anything wrong until he started hitting, but I still didn't leave.”

“Why did he hit you?”

Kendall looked over where Bryan had a confused look on his face. Her uncle always trusted her to tell the truth when it was important and Bryan wasn't a little kid anymore, he was growing up and so she wasn't going to treat him like a baby any longer.

“Bryan, now isn't-”

“No, Uncle Dan. Bryan is growing up and he deserves to know the truth. But you can't tell anyone, okay?” Kendall asked as she watched Bryan take the seat next to hers. “Can you do that for me?”

Nodding his head, Bryan gave his older cousin that had been around come summer time.

“Wade and I broke up because he changed.”

“Change can be good.”

Nodding her head, Kendall gave him a small smile before she continued with what she was telling him. “Normally that's true, but the way Wade changed wasn't so good. He became mean and you know that rule we have? Never hit? Well Wade broke that rule.”

“He hurt you?” Bryan asked.

The sad smile on her face and the tears that she was trying her hardest not to let fall gave away the answer before she spoke up.“He did and so I decided that Chicago was no longer the right place for me and your dad helped in setting up a job for me, so I'll be around more. At my own apartment that is all set up.”

“Is he going to come looking for you?” Bryan asked. “That's what the bad guys do in the movies.”

“He might, but you don't have to worry about something like that because I'm not going anywhere. And how would you like to stay at my place sometime when you don't have school and I'm not working?”

“Really?”Bryan asked, with excitement in his voice.

“If you want and its okay with your parents.”

“Dad can I stay with Kendall this weekend?”

“Don't you want to give her time before you start going over there?” he asked, looking from his son to his niece.

“Actually I have the second bedroom set up so if he wants to I can pick Bryan up in the afternoon and he can help me pick out my first pet.”

“Please tell me it'll be fish.”

“Fish are too boring Aunt Mary. I am getting a dog that has already been trained to live in an apartment.” Kendall smiled.

“Are you sure?” Dan asked her. “A pet is a big responsibility.”

“One that I am willing to take. And since it will be an older dog I can take it running. Dogs love going outside and I think having a dog will make me happy.”

“Is that the only thing that will make you happy?” Dan asked her.

“Well to be in love will make me happy, but as of right now, I just don't see that happening.”

“Are you sticking around for the barbeque?” Mary Beth asked as she set a stack of pancakes in front of Kendall and Bryan.

“Well I do need to work on my tan. So I guess I could stick around.” Kendall grinned as her uncle shook his head at her.

“Let me guess, you have your stuff in your car.”

“One can never be too sure when visiting family.”

“Can't be sure of what?” Bryan asked.

“If the pool is clean or if one would have to invite herself over to dinner.”

“Well you know you are always welcome here,” Mary Beth told her. “Have you gone grocery shopping yet?”

“I have a few things, but I figure Bryan and I can get stuff tomorrow or I'll go before I come and get him.” Kendall said.

“I'll pack some leftovers from today over and send them home with you.”

By ten, Kendall had set up her chair by the pool and laid out in her bathing suit with her skirt on. She had lathered up in sunscreen while laying there with her ipod playing music and her iphone in the bag so it wouldn't end up getting wet. The suns rays were warming up her skin and she loved every moment of it. When living in Chicago things had been different and it wasn't the kind of different that she wanted, but she wasn't going to complain now that she was away from that life.

“Is she awake?”

Behind her tinted sunglasses, Kendall opened her eyes and saw that Bryan had come out with some of the players that her uncle coached. Letting out a sigh, she made no movement to let them know if she was awake or not. She wanted to see if one of them would do something to her while she was unaware.

“Staalsy, leave her be.”

“Come on Sid, we aren't doing anything to her.”

“Yet.”

Bryan was getting sneakier and sneakier each time she came over and she knew that was partially her fault, but it was a good thing. Out of the corner of her eye, she watched him take her cup of ice water and act as if he was gonna dump it on her stomach and that was when she made her move. Tearing her headphones out of her ears and grabbed the cup and pouring it over Bryan before grabbing a hold of him and leading him over to the pool. “And what have I told you countless times about pouring water on me when I'm trying to get the color back into my skin?”

“To leave you alone and not to bother you.” Bryan said struggling, knowing what she was about to do. He knew it would happen, but it was always better when he struggled because sometimes he would be quick enough and could pull her into the pool as well.

“And do you think pouring ice cold water on me would be bothering me?”

“It wasn't my idea!” Bryan laughed before Kendall shoved him into the pool.

Making her way back to her chair she was well aware of the guys staring at her, but she could care less. She knew her phone had been ringing and had been too lazy to actually answer it and since she was up now she thought she would answer it.

As she put the phone to her ear, she looked up and saw someone that could possibly get her in a lot of trouble. Marc Andre Fleury was standing next to her uncle laughing about something. She wasn't sure if he didn't realize it was her, but the moment he locked eyes with her, she realized he knew who she was. Biting her lip, she just hoped that he hadn't said anything to anyone that could possible get her into trouble with her uncle so soon after getting to Pittsburgh.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, its a little shorter than what I usually do, but there it is.
Today was an awesome holiday. One of my favorites.
So for those who celebrate it, Happy 4th of July!!!!