Status: for a picture contest :) comment?

With Songs in Trees

Right, Here?

Swarming through the branches were the tree faeries, glistening in the warm sunlight. Shimmering were the High Queens of Promise. They were the messengers to the sun, speaking words none of the other tree faeries understood. The High Queens of Promise brought everything wonderful to the colony. Never would Aerh have thought that they were actually plotting something very grave to the Tree of Hope...

*****

"Come, dance, oh sweet daughters. Dance this beautiful day away!" The High Queens of Promise stood on the Branch of Love, which was their stage to speak to the crowd of tree faeries. Would anybody have guessed this colony was only girls for a reason?

Aerh took her partner, Nuzi, with her hand and led her out into the Pool of Life, where the dance would be held. Aerh had strong feelings for Nuzi, sure, but she had always felt as though there was something more than just love and being together with the other beautiful tree faeries. Like there was something to do with the sun and moon, and colliding with both would be wise. Alas, no tree faerie except for the High Queens of Promise could converse with the sun and the moon. Although they never really spoke to the moon, and Aerh was never sure why. The only conversation they would announce was from the sun. There was something odd about it, Aerh thought to herself.

Nuzi's arms were wrapped around Aerh's neck, her face hidden in her breasts. Aerh sighed deeply and rested her chin on Nuzi's head. This dance seemed like forever was a long way away.

*****

Nuzi and Aerh lay in their leaf bed. Nuzi turned to look at Aerh with cloudy eyes. "I'm afraid we're getting distant," she whispered shakily.

Aerh looked at her sadly and sighed. "Nuzi, you know I love you. But you know my feelings about a higher power. What is it? I always wonder."

"You wonder too often," she said, her words caked with depression. "You won't even make love to me anymore."

Her accusation was correct, but this was the best Aerh had to offer at the moment. She was too busy daydreaming and writing down thoughts and feelings about the world under her feet and above her carefully handmade gold-spun hair to think about loving Nuzi.

"I'm sorry," was all Aerh managed to say.

Nuzi sighed and turned back over, trying to erase the heartbreaking thoughts clouding her mind.

*****

Aerh slipped out of the leaf quietly, so quiet Nuzi wouldn't even feel her leaving the bed. Aerh wrapped herself in the dainty petals that looked like butterfly wings and left the Branch of Virtue to go to the Pool of Life.

Aerh lifted her head the the moon, shut her eyes and prayed silently to it.

O Moon of Peace, help me to understand this life. Lead me to understand why life is worth living and what the High Queens of Promise are willing to do to help the rest of the tree faeries understand as well. O Moon of Peace, you are the link to my heart. Mine rests here under your shadow.

She dropped her gaze and drank the water from the Pool of Life. It would help rejuvenate her and her willpower.

*****

About two years later:

Disaster has struck again. Leaves were shredded and burned, branches being torn limb from limb onto the moist earth below.

"HELP," screamed faeries from all angles. The only faeries who looked satisfied with smirks on their faces were the High Queens of Promise. Suddenly they grew, and grew and grew until they were the size of humans. Their wings retracted into their backs and their hair flowed further down their backs. All the tree faeries screamed and shuddered with fright and disgust.

The "High Queens of Power" betrayed the faeries. Betrayed them all.

Suddenly day turned to night and the moon turned its face unto all of them. A big, white hand cracked through the sky and grabbed the two fake faeries out of their skin, bringing them up to where the stars collided and burned.

Astonished, the faeries looked up in awe as the humans were stamped to the moon.

Ever heard of the man in the moon? It's really two lovers who betrayed their colony.
♠ ♠ ♠
Now you know why there is an odd shaped shadow dented in the crusty moon, and who's hearts it broke to realize why there is one.

For this picture contest.