Ocala Is Calling

One .

I was driving down the highway, doing ninety-five, ninety things left to say.

Well maybe not ninety. I had a list of around five..

FIVE THINGS KATEY RACHEL BROOKS NEEDS TO SAY.

1) to Aliyah, my best friend:

I'm sorry I left, you just don't understand, neither do I...

2) to Petey, my ex-boyfriend:

You're a fucker, but you're not why I left.

3) to Dylan-Jacob (DJ), my little brother:

Grow up strong, little buddy. Don't let anyone give you shit, do what you like, like what you do.

4) to Charley, DJ's twin sister:

Please, please, please, when you guys grow up, don't give DJ shit. He'll let you do what you want, give him space.

5) to my mom:

Don't give yourself guilt, you're not the reason I left. Stay strong, Mom. I know how much it hurts, stay strong for DJ and Charley.

But it's not like I'd ever say those things, because there was no way I could ever go back. I let my mind drift back to Earth and started paying attention to the road again.

I turned up the radio and sang along to the songs they played every single day. I opened the windows of my Toyota Corolla and followed the highway signs, pulling off Exit 22 to Ocala. I could smell the beach as I drove through what looked to be downtown. Hungry, I pulled into a Burger King parking lot, ordered some chicken nuggets, and asked the guy for directions to the nearest realtor office. His nametag said Danny.

"Hi, Danny. Wanna get me some chicken tenders and directions to the closest realtor office? I need some food and a beach house."

Danny's blue eyes sparkled. "Chicken tenders!" he called back to the kitchen. "Just follow this road, it's-." he paused and looked at the clock. "Actually, I get off work in ten minutes. I'll give you a ride."

I thought about it. Back home, I'd never do something like this. But hey, I was in Ocala. A new life, which meant a new Katey. Besides, Danny was kind of cute.

"Okay." I smiled.

"Great, I can't wait." He looked around. "Since it's slow, I think I can get off early." Danny handed me my chicken tenders and fries, and he led me to a table. "So, beautiful, what's your name?"

I almost choked. "Me? I'm Katey."

"No, what's your real name?" He smiled.

"Kathleen. But you have to call me Katey.."

"Will do. Are you from New York?"

"Boston. Close though."

"Oh, I always get the accents confused. Why are you here?"

"Honestly, I'm not sure..."

"What?"

"I'm not sure. Now come on!" I stood up, grabbed Danny's wrist, and let him lead me to a red convertible. He opened the roof, told me to buckle up, and started driving down Main Street.

Welcome to Ocala, Katey.