Don't Give up Hope

Chapter 12

Image

*Ryan's P.O.V.*

I held Mel as she continued to cry. Never in a million years would I think she would break down like this. She's always shown herself as strong and nothing could get her down. I just wish I could take back earlier and not have been an ass. She needed me and I was just thinking about myself.

"Shh, it's alright, Baby," I said, kissing the top of her head.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to break down on you like this," she mumbled, looking up at me.

"Hey, what else am I here for?" I have her a soft smile, trying to reassure her. "Do you want to talk about it?" I ran my fingers through her hair as we lay on her couch.

She sighed, burring her face in my shoulder. "I guess it would help if I get things off my chest."

"You don't have to if it's too hard for you." I didn't want her putting herself in even more pain than she was.

She shrugged. "It's been years now, and I guess I should be used to it now."

"Mel, there's no reason you should be used to your Dad being dead. Not being able to see him anymore, okay. But you can still miss him, there's nothing wrong with that. I know I would if I were in your position."

She was quiet for a few minutes, before she started talking again. "We used to live here, before my dad died. He would make time to take me to the beach every single day. No matter what, he would always be there to take me to the beach." She paused, trying to keep it together. "Until one day... One day, he didn't come home on time. Mom was worried and tried to keep me busy, but I knew something was wrong.

"We didn't hear anything until late that night." I held her closer, trying to comfort her. "He had been shot. See, he was a cop and anything could happen. Well, that night, it happened."

"I'm so sorry, Mel." I didn't know what else to say. I felt horrible for what she had gone through at such a young age.

"That was the hardest part. I never even imagined what life would be like without my dad. He was always my rock. After that, things were a bit hard not having him there, but they got even harder when Mom started dating again. It was fine, until she started to date this complete loser." She shook her head, sighing. "Things started to change after that. Once she was with Mr. Money Bags, she changed. She became so stuck up, it was like she was afraid to disappoint him.

"When I started getting older, I tried to find some place to fit in. Finally, I did."

"Skating," I said, finishing for her.

She nodded. "Exactly. Mom didn't approve of course. I didn't care though, I finally had something to do. Soon, I started doing different comps. and that's how I cam to know Tony. Since then, he's watched out for me, no matter what."

Everything seemed to fall into place. She had never said anything about her family, or past and I now saw why. But one thing still didn't make sense. "Why were you saying that it was your fault that our dad died? It obviously wasn't..."

She nodded her head, though. "If he hadn't known that I was waiting for him at home, he would have been more focused. Instead, he was worried about getting home to me."

"Baby, that was not your fault. You can not blame yourself for that." She shrugged and stayed silent. "Come on, let's go get you changed." I picked her up and carried her up the stairs. "Here, these should keep you warm," I said, handing her a pair of sweats and a long sleeve.

She lay down on her bed and looked over at me as I stripped to my boxers. "How are you? Here we are, just talking about me, when you have so much more going on."

"You needed me more today, Mel," I said, laying down with her.

"Still." She gave me a look and I knew there was no arguing with her.

"Things are strained. I think the boys are taking it the hardest, especially Kane."

"You guys will get through this. I'm right across the street if you guys ever need me. You have my key, so you and the boys can come over whenever you need to."

I sighed, shaking my head. "I just don't know what we're going to do."

"Come here." She pulled my head down to lay on her chest. "I'm right here, Babe."

"Hey, I was supposed to be taking care of you," I said, frowning up at her.

She smiled back softly. "We can take care of each other."

That's another thing that I loved about her. She wasn't one of those needy girl friends. She'd rather take care of someone else before herself. She was always giving to everyone, and everyone was always taking. I really wondered when the last time someone did something for her. Probably too long...

I should do really do something for her. The question was, what? Seems like I need to give Tony a call...
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, you guys! I have been so busy with my job, trying to get Christmas taken care of, plus I'll finally be starting my college classes in a few weeks. I'm going to try to get a bunch of updates out in the next few days. I'll try to update on my days off. Those are few and far between, though. Not that I'm complaining! Because I need those hours... But, yeah.

I'm going to try my hardest to update a lot this weekend. I am going to be finishing a few stories, and maybe starting a new one... Maybe. We'll see how the rest goes first.

Thank you so much for sticking with me!