Don't Give up Hope

Chapter 4

For the last week, I've either been at Ryan's house, or he's been at mine. And most of the time, Kane or the guys are with him. I never thought that I would be making friends this fast. It was great.

Gretchen and Randy were becoming like my second parents. Gretchen was always asking if I wanted to come over to eat or something. Randy would always make sure that I'm ok by myself or that I'm not moving anything heavy. They're great, but it was just funny to see them worry about me so much.

I was currently laying upside down on the couch, trying to figure some things out, when the front door open. "Living room!" I called, already knowing who it was.

I heard Ryan laugh as he looked at my current position. "What're you doing?" He asked, turning his head to look at me.

"Thinking." I said, sitting up right. "Oh... Head rush." I said, grabbing my head and laughing. "So what's up?"

He sat next to me. "Nothin'. Just wanted to see what you were doing tomorrow."

I froze. What should I tell him?

"Oh, um... I'm really busy tomorrow. Some things I have to get set up with school and everything."

"Aw, that sucks." He said, frowning. "Do you really have to go to college?" He asked, pouting.

I laughed, shaking my head. "Uh, yeah. It's just on line right now anyways. I'm too busy to do regular."

"Busy with what?"

Damn! I'm so stupid...

"Life."

He looked at me before laughing. "Alright. Well, if you can find time in your busy schedule, you should come watch me skate."

The universe is really against me...

"Skate? Where?"

"Oh, there's this competition in town. It's small, but they still want me to do it." He said, shrugging.

"Well, that's sounds fun."

"Yeah. Kane really wants you to go."

I bit my lip, looking at the floor. So he was going to play that way...

"You ok?" He asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Oh, yeah. Just some things." I said, shaking my head.

"Hey." He lifted my chin a little to look into his eyes. For a second, I thought he was starting to lean in, like we were going to kiss, but then I was snapped out of fantasy world.

"Guys! You here?!" We heard Casey's voice from the door.

"Living room!" Ryan called back.

"I'm gonna go get something to drink." I said, getting up and heading to the kitchen.

What the hell is running through my head?! I can't like Ryan! That is so bad!

"Hey, Space Cadet. You still in there?" Casey asked, laughing and waving his hand in front of my face.

"Ha, sorry." I said, shaking my head.

"You alright?"

"Yeah, just an off day."

"I'll say. It seems like everyone's off today."

The next day, I was a nervous wreck. I knew Ryan would figure everything out when I got to the competition, but I didn't know if I was ready for that just yet...

I got ready and headed to the competition early.

I was out back practicing in the parking lot, when I heard my name being called. "Well, well, well. Looky who we have here." He said, walking over.

"Hey, Tony." I smiled, giving him a hug.

"Kid, where have you been?! I haven't seen you in forever." He said, returning the hug.

"Hiding out." I mumbled, looking down at the ground.

"Hey, don't worry about that. At least you're here now. Which everyone will be surprised."

I sighed. "But it was still so humiliating, Tony. I don't know how I'm going to do this today."

"I know you can do it. You're just as good as those others out there, maybe even better. Just get out there and have fun." He said, messing up my hair. I stuck my tongue out at him and threw my hair into a pony tail. "So... Are they here?"

"No. I moved out on my own. And guess who I live right next to?" He looked at me confused, trying to take in all the information. "Ryan fricken Sheckler."

He blinked a few times. "Ok, let me get this straight. One, you moved out on your own. Two, if you live across from Ryan, I'm sure you have a very expensive house. Three, you're at the comp and are nervous about more than just the comp. And that other thing I presume is Ryan finding out who you are."

I looked at him like he was on crack. "How the hell did you just do that?"

He smiled. "I'm just good like that." I rolled my eyes. "Why don't you wan Ryan to find out who you are?"

"Because, I've known him for a few weeks now, and I feel bad for keeping it from him, but I don't want him to get mad at me for it."

"You never know until you tell him."

I sighed. "I know, I know."

We talked for a little bit more, before he started to help me practice. He wasn't competing today, just watching.

When it was time for us to start getting out there, I felt even worse.

"Mel?" I closed my eyes when I heard his voice. "You made it!" I turned to smile at Ryan. He walked over, then saw the board in my hands. He looked at me confused. "What-"

"And here to welcome back is Melody Striling! It's a big surprise for us to see her back after what happened a few months ago. We wish you luck, Mel!" The announcer interrupted Ryan.

He looked at me, stunned. Then, his eyes showed realization. "I knew you looked familiar. I don't see how I missed it..." He mumbled, shaking his head. "Why didn't you tell me? Why did you think you had to keep this from us?"

"Ryan, I-"

"Forget it. I'm up." He said, before skating out."

Well that went great...
♠ ♠ ♠
Now you know what she was hiding from him :) But the question is... Why?

I was so happy to see more subscribers and commenters! :) you guys make my day.

Banner???