‹ Prequel: Seattle

Frank

One.

A pathetic illumination flickered through Donnie's bathroom window, bathing the small room in an eerie glow. Donnie stared nonchalantly at his reflection, he was the epitome of insane, hearing voices and making imaginary friends. The people around him thought he was a genius, although most kept this to themselves. Donnie knew they thought this, but they didn't know what really went on inside his head. There was more to him than just a brain with a pretty face.

Donnie Darko, a name reflecting that of a superhero, continued to stare at his reflection as if he would be able to see into his soul. If that were even possible. Donnie knew that he wasn't alone as he stared, he felt the presence of another since he swallowed his daily pills. It took everything in his power not to turn immediately. Frank was there, watching him, waiting for a response. Donnie knew he would have to turn around sooner or later.

When he did so he met the contorted skeletal mask that Frank wore in his presence. Donnie sometimes wished he could just rip the stupid mask off, he would do it that is, if he was able to get close to him. When around him Donnie could do nothing, he was trapped by a wall of water as Frank told him what he required of him.

He always had something for Donnie to do.

An odd sensation took over Donnie as he watched the rabbit with an almost manic desire. He was telling him what he needed to do but Donnie wanted to defy him, that is unless he explained what was happening. In response to Donnie's questionings the ten foot tall bunny rabbit told him he knew why this was all happening. Donnie laughed quietly to himself, a sort of manic laugh as he continued to stare at Frank.

He had told Donnie when the world would end, without an answer as to why or how, simply the time.

28 days. 6 hours. 42 minutes. 12 seconds.

That's what he had said to him, time was running out and Donnie had to do as Frank told him. Frank knew all about the end of the world, he knew how it would happen and why and that made Donnie feel useless. He didn't want to die alone like Grandma Death had told him that fateful day. All living creatures may die alone but Donnie wasn't ready for that, if Frank was leading him to a way to stop the end of the world then he would do it. No matter what.

Frank moved his head and Donnie mirrored his movements, as if in a trance from the masks ghastliness. The rabbit moved his masked head and a strange feeling enveloped Donnie, without thinking about it his feet moved taking him towards the task that Frank had set him. Frank was his friend, he was going to help him save the world.

Moving sluggishly towards the spare room in his pyjamas he looked towards the axe that was left to gather dust several years before. Frank watched him as he did so, guiding him towards the object like a moth to light, Donnie took the axe in his hand and held it up on his shoulder. Leaving the house so that he could do the task that Frank had set him.

After all, he couldn't let Frank down. Frank controlled him until his very last breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
I liked this. I hope I portrayed it okay?
Tell me in the comments!