Favorite Girl

All That I've Got

Abigail and Zack walked into the local dollar store together. With Abigail's insistance, Zack had decided to get her birthday decorations early. Two weeks early. Amanda hadn't been in touch and it didn't bother Zack one bit. He worried about Abby, though. After she returned home form the beach, she had acted upset, but wouldn't tell Zack what was wrong. When he asked the guys, they had told him that Amanda had walked right past Abby, without even saying bye, and left the beach. When Zack asked her how she felt about her mom, Abby shrugged, told him she didn't wanna talk about it, and had left the room. Now, Zack was back to no sleep, worrying over Abigail and the new CD, which was scheduled to come out in four months, which meant he'd be leaving Abigail in the care of his sister and mother soon.

"Daddy?" Zack looked over at Abigail, who was standing next to him, staring up at him, looking concerned. Zack smiled smally at her.

"What baby girl?" Abigail narrowed her eyes at him.

"You look real tired, Daddy." Zack shook his head.

"I'm fine."

"Maybe I should have asked Aunt Morgan and Uncle Jimmy."

"Abigail, I'm fine, now, we're looking for decorations. What kind of theme did you say you wanted?" Abigail sighed and followed her father as he walked down the aisle.

"Daddy, you haven't shaved in, like, forever. Let's just go home. They don't have anything I want anyway." Zack turned and looked at his daughter, who looked seriously concerned about him. He got down on one knee and she walked towards him and into his out-stretched arms.

"They don't have anything?" Zack asked, as he hugged her close.

"Nothing."

"We'll go to Party Central tomorrow?"

"Okay." Zack gave Abigail a squeeze and realeased her. They walked out of the store and got into Zack's car. When they arrived home, Abigail went upstairs to go through her party plans again, to make sure she had everything planned out correctly. Zack sighed as he stood in the middle of his living room. He looked around and let out another sigh. His pocket started to vibrate and he took out his phone to answer it.

"Hello?"
"Hey. Zack?" Zack smiled at Stacey's voice.
"Yeah, yeah it's me."
"Oh, you just, sounded, different?"
"That's a question?"
"Maybe." Zack chuckled. "How are you?"
"I'm good."
"That's good." Stacey and Zack both spoke amusedly.
"What about you?"
"I'm pretty good. I have the new issue of AP in my hand. The issue about you."
"Wow, AP did an issue just about me?" Stacey giggled.
"Why else did you think I went out to dinner with you. I needed some juicy stuff." Zack laughed.
"And here, I though we were friends."
"Acquaintances."
"Oh, yeah, that's right."
"Look, did you want the issue or what?" Zack was about to answer when Abigail called him from her room. He started up the stairs, slowly.
"Uh, actually, I don't think I'm gonna be able to go down there and get it."
"Okie dokie, well, do you want me to drop it off? I mean if you don't mind giving me your address?" Abigail called Zack again, more urgently and louder.
"Stacey, can I call you back? Abigail-" Stacey cut Zack off.
"Of course. Call me when you can and we'll talk about getting you guys the issue." And she hung up. Zack walked hurridely into Abigail's room where she was sitting on the floor, holding the necklace, that Jimmy and Morgan had gotten her for Christmas, in the palm of her hand.

"What is it Abs?" Zack walked in and sat beside her. Abigail handed the locket to Zack.

"It broke." Zack examined the necklace, and sure enough, the gold chain was broken. Zack looked over to Abigail, who had tears in her eyes.

"Oh, Abby, don't cry." Zack said, as she crawled into his lap. "Abby, it's okay." She shook her head. "Abby, why are you crying?" She sniffled and talked into Zack's chest.

"Because Aunt Morgan and Uncle Jimmy bought me that."

"Do you think they're gonna be mad at you?" Abigail shrugged and Zack patted her back. "Abigail, look at me." Abigail looked up at her dad. "It's okay. Noone's gonna be upset with you. It was an accident, right?" Abigail nodded.

"I wouldn't break it on purpose."

"I know Abigail. Look, baby girl, you wanna go over to Aunt Morgan and Uncle Jimmy's tonight? We can show them the necklace and maybe they can get it fixed and we can eat dinner with some family?" Abigail sniffled again and wiped her eyes.

"Yeah." Zack smiled at her.

"Okay, well, stop crying." Abigail wiped her eyes again. "Smile for me." Abigail smiled widely at Zack. "That's my girl. Here, you wanna call Uncle Jimmy and ask about dinner?" Abigail nodded. Zack handed her his cell phone and let her dial the number.

"Hey Uncle Jimmy." Zack could hear Jimmy excitedly yell a greeting at Abigail. Something along the lines of, 'Abby! Hey sweetie, how are you?' "Can me and Daddy come over for dinner? Yeah. Okay. He's right here. Okay." Abigail handed the phone to Zack. "He wants to talk to you." Zack took the phone from Abby, whom he then kissed on the cheek. She climbed off of his lap and Zack stood up.

"You gonna be okay up here?" Zack asked, looking at her as she climbed on her bed. She nodded and started to dig through her toy chest at the end of her bed. Zack smiled and placed the phone against his ear, walking downstairs. "Hello?"
"It's terrible how you get the little one to call people, when you're too lazy to make dinner." Zack laughed.
"You're too funny Jimmy, too funny."
"No, actually, I was just about to call you. Morgan's inviting everyone over tonight to eat dinner, so, it must be something having to do with that brother sister mind thing." Zack smiled.
"Something like that. So, everyone's gonna be there, right?"
"Yep, why?"
"I need to talk to all of you."
"Alright, well, we'll see you tonight. Oh, and Zack?"
"Yeah?"
"Your mom's gonna be there, kay bye!" Jimmy said quickly and hung up. Zack glared at his phone as he hung up.

"Assholes." He muttered, before going through his contacts and pausing on Stacey's name. He look up the stairs, to Abigail's bedroom, where music was playing. He sighed and looked at Stacey's name again. Zack gave in and clicked on Stacey's name and hitting the call button, he walked into the kitchen and put the phone up to his ear.

"Hello?"
"Hey, it's me."
"Oh, hey Zack. Is everything okay?"
"Yeah, yeah everything is good. Abs just broke a necklace that she had gotten from Jimmy and Morgan."
"Oh, that's sad. I hate breaking things that have sentimental value. I feel so terrible." Zack smiled.
"Really?"
"Yeah, it's like, somebody went out, spent money, and got you this present because they knew you would like it. And then you broke it, not on purpose, but still, that's money that they earned that they spent on you. Yanno?"
"Yeah, I get it. So, uhm, what do you have planned for this weekend?" Zack asked, feeling himself blush.
"Well, Friday I have a photoshoot with My Chem, and then Saturday I'm doing some old school stuff and shooting one of the other photographer's cousin's wedding. He can't because he's a groomsmen. Sunday, well, Sunday I believe I'm free, but I might go through some photos, revise some articles, maybe go take some photos at the beach."
"Working on your day off?"
"What do you do when you're stressed?" Stacey asked, trying to reason wtih Zack. He thought for a moment.
"Play my guitar?"
"Exactly. I love photography, which is why I got into the buisness. Taking pictures of nature, especially the beach, is relaxing for me." Zack smiled.
"I see. You mind if I join you at the beach?"
"No! Not at all! I can give you your magazine then, too!" Stacey yelled excitedly. Zack smiled, glad that she was excited to be hanging out with him.
"Okay, okay cool."
"Yes, cool... Hey, d'ya think you could bring Abigail?" Stacey asked.
"Yeah, she loves the beach-"

"DADDY!" Abigail yelled, running down the stairs. Zack turned to look at his daughter, who had changed. "I'm ready." She stated, simply, slowing down as she reached the bottom.

"Abs, it's only,-" Zack looked at his watch as Stacey laughed. "Crap. Stacey, I gotta go. Dinner party with the family."
"Okay. Have fun."
"I'll try very hard." Stacey laughed.
"Goodbye Zack."
"Bye Stace." Zack closed his phone and grabbed his keys off the kitchen table. He followed Abigail out the door and into the car.

"Hey Daddy?"

"Yeah?"

"Who is Stacey?" Zack shot a look ovet at Abigail quickly, she was looking at him innocently.

"Stacey is a old friend of mine from when I was in high school. She moved away before you were born."

"Did she know my mama?" Zack nodded.

"Yeah, they used to be good friends."

"Does my mama hate me?" Zack looked at Abigail who was now playing with her shoe laces.

"No, baby girl, I don't think she hates you, she just, doesn't know how to act around you."

"But you don't know for sure. You just think." Zack sighed.

"I don't know what goes on in your mama's head Abby. I do know, though, that it's impossible to do anything but love you." Abby reached over and grabbed Zack's hand.

"I love you, too, Daddy." Zack pulled into Morgan and Jimmy's driveway, next to his mom's car. He got out and wrapped Abigail in a hug. When he released her, she ran excitedly into the house, where her family was. Zack smiled and walked in where everyone was just sitting, waiting for the food, drinking, and munching on appetizers.

"Hey Mom." Zack said, sitting next to his mom. She wrapped an arm around him.

"Hey baby. You okay?" Zack nodded.

"Yeah, just tired. Me not speaking to Amanda is fine, but I don't know how it's affecting my girl. She doesn't say much about it, but still. I worry about her."

"Of course you do. She loves you more than anything, as you do her."

"It's just, it's hard. I don't think I anticipated this." Marjorie Baker laughed.

"Baby, nobody ever anticipates how much trouble a child is going to be. You just do the best you can and when you can't think of anything, you can only hope. It gets easier, with the more you have sure, but, something always goes awry, with any child. Look at you." Zack looked at his mother, offended.

"What about me?"

"You're ugly." Morgan said, handing him a soda. Zack glared at her. His mom chuckled.

"You could have been a baseball player. You were star in high school, and look at you. You're a rock star. I though for sure you were gonna be a baseball player."

"Oh, c'mon Mrs. B! He got his girl pregnant, you can do better than that!" Matt said, leaning down to kiss Zack's mom on the cheek. She smiled and shook her head. "Well, there's that too." She said, looking at Zack, who sighed and threw himself back on the couch.

"Where's Dad?" He asked, seeking the company of someone who was less talkative and nosy.

"Outback with Jimmy. Making sure he cooks the burgers the right way." Johnny said with a chuckle. "Jimmy's freaking out right now." Zack laughed and walked outside to where his dad was sitting in a lawn chair, giving Jimmy directions.

"Hey Dad." Zack said, walking over and squeezing the old man's shoulder.

"My boy! How're you son? Where's my grandbaby?"

"Inside, bothering the girls probably." Andy Baker nodded.

"She's a good girl. You know, I'm real proud of you."

"For what?" Zack asked, pulling up a chair and sitting next to him.

"You're a good father. It makes a father proud when he sees his son become a good father. It means I must've done something right. A lot of boys your age leave when they get their girls or whoever pregnant. You, you could've never shamed me after sticking through all of that." Zack beamed.

"Thanks Dad. It mean, so, so much."

"Burgers are el done-o!" Jimmy yelled, placing them all on a plate with the spatula.

"What kind of language is that?" Andy asked, looking at Zack. Zack smiled.

"Spanish..., or something." They followed Jimmy inside, where Morgan had lined up all the condiments and toppings in orderly fashion on the counter.

"Morg, you are awesome at this shit."

"Pay up!" Abigail yelled, running into the room.

"Ah! Dangit! She gets me everytime." Lauren laughed and shook her head.

"Then stop cussing."

"But it's really hard." Matt whined. Lauren rolled her eyes. Abigail got into line beside Matt, Zack behind her.

"C'mon Uncle Matt. It's the rule. You can't break rules."

"Yes you can."

"No, you can't."

"Yes, you can!"

"No, you can't."

"Zack, tell your daughter that you can break rules." Morgan rolled her eyes. Zack raised an eyebrow.

"You want me to tell my daughter that she can break rules?"

"Yes. You have hell to pay. I swear half of my money ends up in that girl's pockets." Abigail poked Matt in the side. "What dear?"

"You owe me a dollar now."

"Hell is not a cuss word."

"It is too! I'm not allowed to say the H-word, am I Daddy?"

"You sure aren't." Zack answered, as he readied his burger.

"See?"

"Yeah, but Hell is a place, so you should be able to say it."

"Matt, you're an atheist." Lauren said, as they sat at the table, Abigail in between them.

"Daddy, what's an atheist?" Abigail asked, looking across the table at her father.

"An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in God." He said, as he walked over to the fridge to get Abigail something to drink.

"Are we atheists?" The room suddenly got quieter. Zack stood up and looked at Abigail.

"Well, babygirl, it can be complicated. I believe in God. We don't go to church, we don't read the Bible, I never taught you to pray, but I believe there's a God up there. I believe fully that he gave you to me. And, if you want to believe it too, you can. If you want to go to church and see what it's like, we can. If you want a Bible, I'll buy you one. If you want to learn how to pray, I'll teach you." Zack saw his mother grab his father's hand and sqeeze it.

"Okay, I'll think about it."

"Okay, babygirl."

"Uncle Matt, you still owe me a dollar." Matt sighed, pulled out his wallet, and placed a dollar in front of the little girl. "Thanks." She said, swiping it and sticking it in her pocket. Everyone ate, drank, and acted merry. Abigail was adored over and the guys made jokes and Jimmy's parents arrived, adding more to the fun and humor. An hour later, Zack pulled his dad aside.

"Look, Dad. I need to tell everyone something." His dad raised his eyebrows. "No, nothing too serious. It's just about a girl."

"Her name Stacey?" Zack nodded. "Morgan told me."

"I was wondering, if you could take Abigail outside or something. I don't want tot alk to her about it yet. I'll have to break it down more for her than for these guys. And then, later, me and you can talk about it?"

"You want to talk to me about a girl?"

"Yeah, Dad. I haven't dated since Amanda." Zack laughed nervously and his dad smiled.

"Of course. Abby! You wanna go with Grandpa to get some more drinks? You can get a candy bar, too." Abigail grinned excitedly, hugged her father, and ran after her grandfather. Zack smiled at her energy and turned to face the his family. Morgan and his mom both stood, arms crossed, eyebrows raised.

"What?"

"Oh, Zack. Dad used to pull that 'run to the store' thing with us when Mom didn't want the other one to hear. Like when she gave you the se-"

"Don't finish that sentence. Yes, okay, I want to talk to you all about something, I'll just have to approach it differently with Abigail." Everyone stared at him and he took a deep breath. "When I went out to dinner with Stacey, we exchanged information. I have her number, she has mine. Lately, we've been more conversational. She called me today to let me know that our AP issue is ready." Zack looked at his bandmates. "We then continued the conversation to plans for this weekend. We're going to go to the beach. Stacey invited Abigail." Applause started and Zack was dumbfounded.

"Whoo! The Z-Man has a date!" Brian shouted. Jimmy whooped some more with a fist pump. Most of the girls smiled knowingly. Matt whistled. Morgan walked over and hugged him.

"I am truly so happy for you." Zack hugged his sister back.

"Thanks Morgie. You know it means the world coming from you. Mom?" Zack's mom nodded and hugged her son.

"I am so glad for you. And I'm proud for the fact that your first official date includes the most important thing in your life." Zack smiled.

"Of course."

"Thanks guys, I'm so glad you all approve. I just-Abby. She's all that I've got." Everyone nodded knowlingly.

"We know man. For most of us, she's all anyone's got."
♠ ♠ ♠
xD I'm back.