Status: In progress.

I Love You in Every Language

Randomness to the Max!

Lennon’s Point of View

It was four o’ clock in the morning. Sleep was no long a plausible option, and I couldn’t think of single productive thing that could be done at this hour besides preparing for the upcoming school year. I had finished my packing yesterday morning before meeting Aubrey in Diagon Alley, and really the only thing left to do was to find a decent outfit to wear tomorrow . . . I mean later today.

Normally, as a rule, I couldn’t care less about clothing. Aubrey was the one in charge of keeping our wardrobes stocked with the latest fashions, and my only job was to sit back, and occasionally nod my head to give off the appearance I was listening to her normally long winded, fashion oriented speeches. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to inquire about what outfit Aubrey was expecting me to wear for our first day back. This left me with the unpleasant task of picking out my own clothing. My taste in clothing wasn’t exceptional. If I was being completely honest with myself I would have to admit that my taste in clothing was actually quite horrid, and would leave Aubrey grimacing in both figurative and literal pain.

Still, It wasn’t like I could ask her for advice now; it done far too late for that. I would just have to pick out an outfit, and deal with Aubrey’s wrath later.

I forced myself to get up off of my warm bed, and made my way over to my terminally messy closet. The small confined space had just enough floor space for me to sit down indian style against the back wall with my knees just brushing against the side walls. It wasn’t the most comfortable position, but it allowed for me to pile the meager amount of clothing that wasn’t already packed into my trunk onto the floor in front of me so, I could easily pick through the mess to find something half-presentable.

Dully I noted that all of my favorite articles of clothing were already packed into my trunk. I mentally scolded myself for not considering this dilemma while packing. The few pieces of clothing I had left out of my trunk were either dyed less than appealing colors, or were completely unflattering to wear. Aubrey would have my head if I showed up in red velcro pants, and my mother’s frumpy purple mass that was the result of her attempt at knitting a sweater.

With a groan I resigned myself to dig through my packed trunk to find an outfit. Pushing aside the pile of rejected clothing I made my way out of my closet, and over to ornately decorated trunk sitting pretty in the center of my bedroom. I sent up a silent prayer for mercy as I carefully unlatched the trunk, and sent the lid careening over backwards to thump heavily against my bedroom floor. I flinched at the obnoxiously loud noise, and hoped to heaven that it hadn’t woken my parents; They would kill me for still being up at this hour. A moment passed without a sound so, I figured I was safe to start breathing again.

Besides the noise everything had worked out just fine. I had expected everything crammed inside of my trunk to come tumbling out the moment the lid had came off, but instead everything was sitting in a jumbled heap exactly the way I had placed it inside the trunk the day before. Tentatively I reached forward to grab a cream colored blouse. I gave the blouse a gentle tug trying to avoid upsetting the delicate equilibrium of the rest of the pile. Luck was with me, and the blouse came loose without much of a problem.

I held the pretty cream shirt up in front of me for farther inspection. It was a lovely blouse made from a light, clingy material that highlighted my figure without squeezing against it. The blouse had elbow length sleeves, and a small v-neck cut that was trimmed with peach tinted eyelet lace. The hem of the shirt flared out just a little bit, but overtly so. I was pleased with my find. I liked the shirt, and in my humble opinion it was a rather pretty piece that even Aubrey wouldn’t be able to complain about too much.

I folded the blouse neatly into a square and sit it down beside me before going about excavating the trunk for a pair of suitable bottoms. I scanned the jumbled mess inside the trunk ticking off a mental checklist of the bottoms I could see, and the reasons why none of them were suitable. Black slacks were much to formal. Bell bottoms were extremely casual, and would clash with the slight formal feel of the blouse. I was beginning to lose hope when the familiar sight of my black pencil skirt caught my eye. With same careful precision I had used when withdrawing the shirt I pulled out the skirt. Once it came loose I held it up for inspection.

The skirt wasn’t too short, but was shorter then most of the bottom pieces in my wardrobe. If I remembered correctly the last time I had wore the skirt was to a dinner party with my dad’s boss about a year ago, and it had been about knee length. The skirt was quite slim fitting with a straight and narrow cut that had been tailored for a close fit. It clung to the full curve of my hip with the hem ending right above my knees in a slightly less snug manner that allowed for me to walk comfortably. The black stood in a stark, but lovely contrast against the cream blouse I had chosen. I folded the skirt, and sit it down on top of the blouse.

I smiled as I latched the lid back down on my trunk with only a little effort. I was quite pleased with the outfit I had picked out for myself. Now if I could find matching shoes and a coat I would be all set. I scooped up the soft bundle of clothing into my arms, and deposited the items on my bed so that they would be out of the way as I searched for the other needed accessories that Aubrey preached about so frequently.

Digging underneath my bed I pulled out the remaining sets of shoes that belonged to my scanty shoe collection. Aubrey was the queen of shoes, but I on the other hand had about five good pairs that could work for all occasions. Three of those pairs were securely packed beneath everything else in my trunk with no easy way to be retrieved. I was far too lazy to even bother with trying to dig them out anyways. Which left me to pick between the two remaining pairs of shoes.

The first pair of shoes were flip-flops painted a bright shade of ‘cherry popsicle red’, and adorned with several little painted daises and various other bright flower-like things along the one-inch high edges. For some reason, the first pair struck me as more than a little inappropriate. The second pair were a plain pair of black peep toe flats with a single lily white bow situated over the arch covering the upper foot. The second pair were obviously the only choice. Aubrey would kill me if I wore those flip-flops no matter how much I loved them. I kicked the flip-flops back underneath my bed, and tossed the chosen pair of shoes on top of my bed to rest on the opposite end from the pile of clothes.

My outfit was almost complete. It was nearly five o’ clock according to the blinking, red numbers on my alarm clock. I realized with great satisfaction that I had wasted nearly an hour. If I took another fifteen minutes to find my coat, sunglasses, and purse then by the time I finished a thirty minute shower, and took thirty more minutes to dress it would be time to leave.

Finding the last three items to my outfit was an easy task. My lovely, pepper colored pea coat was hanging on a coat hanger in the black of my closet. My simple, but effective sunglasses were resting on my writing desk on top of a half-written letter to Aubrey that would now never be finished. My purse was slung across the back of my writing chair. The large, black monstrosity had been a gift from Aubrey, and it was the only purse I ever used. I didn’t particularly like purses, but it was a gift from my best friend so, it had to be used.

With preparations finally finished I sighed deeply, and made my way toward the bathroom to take a well earned hot shower before going about the task of actually getting ready.

*Seven o’ clock*

I’m really not a narcissistic person, but I couldn’t help but pause to admire myself in the full length mirror hanging from the door of our master bathroom. Surrounded in an embellished golden frame staring directly at me was a petite young lady. It was hard to believe that the girl in the mirror was me.

The outfit had been picked perfectly. It complimented everything about me. The light make up I had applied worked perfectly to bring out the slight color in my cheeks, and flawlessly worked to bring out and highlight the longevity of my thick, dark eyelashes. I looked good.

“Lennon, are you ready? Holli’s ready to go.” I was pulled from my thoughts by my mother’s shrill shout. I smirked at my reflection giving my heavy, brunette curls one last bounce before making my way out of the bathroom. I had been ready for a long while not that my mother needed to know that.

“Yeah, I’ll be down in a second.” I called in return. I hurried into my room, but at the sight of my extremely heavy trunk I groaned. There was no way in hell I could pack that thing, and why should I even have to when I have an amazing mother who could use magic without worry of expulsion. Mother’s are supposed to help their children after all. “Mommy,” I shouted. “Can you please get my trunk? It weighs more than the Hogwarts Expression when it’s packed with students.”

I heard the soft click clack of my mother’s heels as she started up the wooden staircase. “Of course, honey. Holli and your father are already in the car waiting. It’s best to speed things up.” The melodic voice replied getting steadily closer with each word until finally I heard the sound of the locks inside the doorknob clicking back to allow entrance. My mother opened the door to my room, and walked inside without farther invitation her eyes appraising the nearly emptied space.

My mother unlike me was quite tall. Her hair at one time a soft carmel was now beginning to show her age, and was turning a shade of fine silver giving her a very sophisticated appearance. Her gaze was soft, a permanently maternal expression of love filled her ageless green eyes joined by something else as she looked about my room. Sadness at my passing youth? Longing for her past youth? I couldn’t be sure.

“It seems you packed everything, but the kitchen sink.” My mother chuckled as her eyes fell onto my stuffed trunk. She reached into the front pocket of her jacket, and withdrew her long, ivory colored wand. I chuckled nodding in agreement as she tapped her wand against the top of my trunk, and mumbled an incantation to quietly for me to hear. The trunk promptly rose up off the ground. “Don’t forget to grab your owl, honey. You know I expect you to write home frequently. This old house is lonely while you and Holli are away.” My mother said this with her back to me. She flicked her wrist to send the trunk gliding out the door to my room as she followed along behind it conducting it’s every move.

I watched until she disappeared from my view before hurrying over to my writing desk. My owl, Ixen, was sleeping his head tucked beneath one tawny wing inside of his cage which hung suspended over the edge of my writing desk by a heavy chain. I unclasped the cage from it’s chain careful not to shake it too much to avoid waking the sleeping creature. With Ixen’s cage firmly gripped in one hand I headed out my bedroom door after my mother.

Once both Mother and I had made it into the car we took off to Kings Cross Station. My little sister sung along to various songs on the radio while my father chatted up a storm about his muggle business with my mother. I just sit quietly, and watched as the world rolled past outside my window. A little blossom of excitement was springing into full bloom deep within my stomach.

*The Train Station*

My father helped my sister and I with loading our things into trollies since using magic in front of so many muggles was out of the question. After all the heavy lifting was finished Daddy bid us good-bye for the year, and as always opted to stay in the car. As a muggle, most magic made my father feel very uncomfortable. He knew that my mother, my sister, and I were witches, but he normally just over looked this fact. If it wasn’t necessary my father avoided ever seeing actual magic being preformed. It was for that reason that my father always opted to sit things out in the car while we caught the Hogwarts Express.

“I love you, daddy!” I called as a final good-bye to my father before falling in line behind my sister as we pushed our trollies through the throngs of muggles milling about the train station. While making our way through the crowd numerous people managed to cast, nasty stares in our direction. The noise had awoken Ixen who was hooting loudly, and my sister’s owl, Dai was acting no better. I tried to get Ixen to calm down to no avail, and finally accepted that people were just going to stare.

When we approached the barrier I immediately was made aware by my sister’s high pitched whine. “I hate running through the wall.” She complained loudly. “I always feel that one of these times I won’t go through it at all, but instead ram straight into a bunch of bricks. How painful would that that be?” I shot her an annoyed look as she continued to whine, and stare at the wall with blatant distrust.

“Don’t be such a baby. You should know by now that stuff like that doesn’t happen. If you’re really a witch you’ll always get through. That’s just a fact.” I mocked her. She turned her gaze on me narrowing her eyes, and parting her lips to retort, but before the words could leave her mouth the stern voice of my mother cut in.

“Behave yourselves, girls.” She scolded us. “We’re in a public place. The both of you need to act your age. Holli go through the barrier now. Lennon and I are right behind you.” My mother instructed my baby sister with a gentle nudge. Under our mother’s watchful gaze Holli nodded sullenly, and without another word of protest ran toward the brick wall. Her cart made contact for the briefest of moments, and she was gone.

“Now you, Lennon.” My mother instructed me giving me a slight nudge toward the barrier. I broke into a run, and just like Holli the moment my cart made contact I was sucked through the barrier. There was the slightest squeezing sensation, and then it was over. I was standing on a very crowed Platform Nine and Three Quarters.

People stood all around me. Families were tearfully saying their last good-byes. Friends were shouting back and forth with each other as the fought through the crowd to join one another. The sounds of owls, frogs, and various whirls and whizzes would also to be heard as animals voiced their agitation, and jokes were set off in commemoration of a new school year. My little sister was no where in sight. Surely, she had went to join some friends of her own, and speaking of friends . . .

“Aubrey! Aubrey Janelle Keagan you’d best turn around!” I yelled at the blond girl standing not two feet away from me. I could have recognized Aubrey anywhere she was my best friend after all. Aubrey jumped as if startled and quickly whirled around a smile painted across her picturesque features.

“Len! You’re finally here.” She shouted in return looking jubilant, and as always well dressed. I pushed my trolly through the sea of people to meet my smiling friend. While I huffed and puffed to push the heavy trolly Aubrey casually scanned over my appearance her eyes critical, and searching for the tiniest details. I knew without asking that she would find something wrong, but that was fine because she would have to compliment something about this outfit. I knew I was looking quite well today.

“Girl, you look good.” She complimented as she pulled me into a quick hug. She smelt strongly of vanilla, and something completely her. She pulled back after a moment still beaming. “I love the outfit. Cream doesn't match white, though, the shoes and purse are absolutely splendid!” She gushed continuing on her stream of compliments a coy smile playing at her lips. I laughed realizing which two particular items she had called out as splendid.

“Of course they’re splendid. You bought them.” I said playfully shoving my fashionista friend. She gasped as if somehow offended by my actions, and shoved me back just roughly enough to send me momentarily teetering before gigglingly girlishly.

“Well, I do have amazing taste.” She allowed with a knowing nod. “I mean really could you imagine what letting you pick out your entire wardrobe would end up like. Remember the cherry popsicle red flip-flops? Just no.” She said shaking her head. I nodded completely in agreement with my friend. I was known for picking out rather odd pieces when left alone in shoe or clothing stores.

We continued exchanging light banter as we crossed the platform and joined the crowd of students attempting to board the train. I noticed that Holli was just a head of us with her arm linked through another third year Gryffindor’s arm like true compadres. Comforted to know that Holli had found her friends I quickly managed to get lost in conversation with Aubrey. We frequently became so completely immersed in our own little world that we didn’t notice what was going on around us. So, when someone suddenly collided with us sending terminally clumsy Aubrey careening backwards to fall against the hard concrete it came as a complete surprise to the two of us.

“Hey!” I shouted indignantly at our aggressor as I extended a hand to my fallen friend. Aubrey took ahold of my hand, and I helped her back up on her own two feet. The both of are gazes narrowed into dark glares directed at the boy who had so rudely shoved through us. The boy seemed not to notice us at all as he continued shoving his way through the crowd to join a semi-circle consisting of three other boys.

“You do know who that was don’t you?” Aubrey asked her tone colored with annoyance as she brushed off her jeans. I paused to think about it openly staring at the boy trying to figure out who he was. If he could be rude, I could rude. Fair was fair. Aubrey obviously knew him, but I couldn’t place him.

“No . . . Should I?” I asked after a moment. The crowd surged forward, and Aubrey and I managed to finally make our way abroad the train. The aisle was packed. A lot of the students were mingling right in the middle of the aisle making progressing farther down it nearly impossible. I shoved my way through the crowd while Aubrey trailed fast behind me as we made our way to our usual compartment. We had sit in the same compartment every year since our first year, and this year would be no different.

“James Potter.” Aubrey paused to catch her breath. “Mr. Big-shot-know-it-all-I’m-holier-than-thou James Potter.” She finished her face flushed. I realized almost instantly who she was talking about. James was easily the most popular guy in our year. Hell, James was the most popular guy in all of Gryffindor with his amazing Quidditch skills, devilish good looks, and ability to pull of hilarious (if not somewhat mean) pranks.

Personally, I had never been fond of the boy or his ring of friends. They were a group of self-righteous, overly arrogant pricks, and this fact was perfectly showcased in how their leader could shove down an innocent girl, and then act as if he didn’t even notice.

“Oh the ‘Godfather’ of the idiots.” I laughed a little at my own muggle pun. Aubrey nodded looking rather bitter.

“Exactly, I don’t know who died and left him King, but he and all his friends for that matter need to get over themselves.” Aubrey snapped obviously still rather pissed. I was honestly surprised. It took a lot to get Aubrey angry. She was a gentle soul by nature. These boys were in deep shit.

“Seriously, I hope he gets eaten by the giant squid.” I smiled nudging Aubrey playfully hoping to lighten my friend’s mood. Aubrey laughed, and like that the tension evaporated. The two of us successfully managed to push King James and his circle of idiots out of our minds, or at least for a moment. We struck up more casual conversation about Quidditch. My personal favorite subject. I was our team’s amazing seeker after all. We managed to keep the conversation flowing smoothly until we finally reached our compartment.

Since our first year Aubrey and I had always sit in the last compartment. Usually we graciously shared our compartment with William Ethington and Claire Michaels. This year wasn’t going to be any different. When we arrived at our compartment only to hear the sounds of quiet laughter we assumed Ethington and Claire had just beat us to the compartment. I pushed open the sliding door with a welcoming smile on my face preparing for an onslaught of hugs, and questions.

So imagine my shock when I beheld who was actually within our compartment. King James and his circle of idiots were sitting in our compartment laughing and having a grand time as if they weren’t infringing on our territory. My smile quickly faded, and my eyes narrowed to form a death glare. This was not going to happen.

“Excuse me, but why are you in our compartment?” I asked stressing the word ‘our’. My hands settled on my hips, and I lifted an eyebrow in question. It was a classic look for me. A look that meant I was highly angry and out for blood. The whole group stopped laughing, and turned to face Aubrey and I looks of confusion painted across their rather handsome faces.

“It’s not your compartment. I don’t see your name on it.” The one I knew to be Sirius Black shot back. His long black hair, and aristocratic looks were unmistakable. He was James’ second in command, and from what I’d heard he had quite a reputation for being a seasoned man-whore. I rolled my eyes at his statement.

“Check it.” I snapped strutting across the compartment. I lifted my foot to tap an area half way up the wall of the train. Written in blood red ink that couldn’t be removed were the words ‘Lennon Alexander and Aubrey Keagan own this compartment! Leave now, or may god have mercy on your soul.’. Aubrey and I had added that lovely little piece of writing to the compartment sometime on the train ride home in our first year.

“Wow. Scribbles.” James drawled sarcastically causing his friends to utter caws of loud, obnoxious laughter. I heard the faint, but audible gasp issued by Aubrey at his statement. A smirk formed on my lips. They were in trouble now; Aubrey was mad.

“Only an imbecile like you would mistake such an eloquent depiction of the english language as scribbles. That beautiful penmanship clearly reads ‘Lennon Alexander and Aubrey Keagan own this compartment! Leave now, or may god have mercy on your soul.’. Now that we’ve had our reading lesson of the day let me clarify for you apes that Lennon Alexander and Aubrey Keagan are in fact us not you.” Aubrey cut in to the conversation obviously offended, and intent on showing the boys just who was in charge. Aubrey rarely got angry, but when she did she was like a force of nature—simply unstoppable.

I knew something bad was about to happen when James withdrew his wand from his cloak with over the top bravado. “What are you doing?!?” Aubrey shrieked as James stated boldly the correct incantation for writing with one’s wand before adding on to our beautiful art work. It now read: James Potter and Lennon Alexander and Aubrey Keagan own this compartment! Leave now, or may god have mercy on your soul.

I could have killed him. His writing truly was scribbles to mar our beautiful work, and his rather brash move had pissed me off to no end while Aubrey’s anger was to a point that it was nearly palpable. The boys for the most part however, seemed to be completely at ease.

“You just defaced priceless art. Way to ruin the compartment.” I glared reproachfully. James chuckled obviously finding this whole situation quite amusing. Aubrey and I however were not amused in the least. Why did this group (particularly James and Sirius) insist on being such pricks? This was our compartment, dammit!

“My name adds appeal.” James scoffed crossing his arms across his chest in an arrogant posture. His matching smirk was filled with cool disdain.

Aubrey and I chuckled. “That was meant to be a joke, right?” Aubrey asked figurative sarcasm dripping from her tone. Aubrey always had a sarcastic comment to add to a conversation.

“Aw look the little girls are upset. James, how impolite of you. You’re going to make them cry.” Sirius cooed as if we were small children instead highly pissed off teenagers. I fought the over-whelming urge to slap his holier-than-thou smirk off his perfect face. Aubrey was flushed with anger, and I was biting my tongue to the point that I could taste blood to avoid saying something rash.

“Just please, stop being idiots and just let us have our compartment.” I reasoned fighting to keep my voice even. Whenever I was angry I frequently developed a high-pitchy voice that sounded like it belonged to a five-year-old—I hated it.

“Why don’t you just find your own compartment? We were here first.” Sirius argued. I could tell that this was going to go nowhere. They were worse than dogs with food. They just wouldn’t give.

“No! We’re staying right here.” Aubrey snarled giving the boys a dark look. If only looks could kill . . .

Aubrey then did something I would have never expected. She took a seat right beside a plump, blond boy. The expectant look she gave me informed me that she fully expected me to join her in her protest. All we needed were picket signs, and declarations of a hunger strike. Reluctantly I sit down beside my friend trying to look as smug as she did, but failing miserably. I didn’t want to sit with the boys. I wanted to sit with Ethington and Claire; our friends.

“Suit yourselves.” James shrugged. Sirius rolled his eyes. Aubrey glared some more, and I was left stuck a very uncomfortable situation. One angry friend + four annoying assholes = one long train ride.

While Aubrey occupied herself with glaring at each of the boys in turn. I starred off into space, and I tried to tune out the boys persistent chatter. I might have succeeded in my task, but someone said Quidditch, and like that I was unwillingly all ears.

“I’m most definitely going to be team captain this year.” James arrogantly declared. “My only real competition is Ethington, and . . .” Instead of finishing his sentence James just laughed making his point clearly enough. I scoffed.

“No way in hell are you going to be captain.” I couldn’t keep from injecting my opinion into the conversation. “Ethington’s got seniority; You’ve got a whole lot of talk.” I finished with a smug smirk of my own. James offered me patronizing stare.

“Who asked you? Seekers are better seen not heard.” James glowered.

“Please, show a little respect. I win the game. In one play I get 150 points while you get like 10.” I bit back.

“You only have one play.”

“One very important play.”

“That’s the problem with you seekers: you’re all full of yourselves.”

“I’m full of myself?!?” I gasped disbelievingly of what I had just heard.

“Yes. I think we’ve established that. You sound like a broken record just repeating everything I say.” James cajoled obviously trying to pull farther reaction from me.

“I hope your mother beats you.” I growled.

“Please my mother loves me. All ladies love me.” James scoffed.

“Please, I for one hate you.” I snapped.

“Hence why I said ‘ladies’. That doesn’t include you.” James jeered presumptuously.

“I am to a lady!” I admonished.

“I’ll eat my hat if you can think of one lady like thing you’ve said since you’ve entered this compartment.” James simpered knowingly. I paused thinking back before frowning darkly.

“Oh shove it.” I mumbled resigning myself to shut up before I dug myself even deeper into the hole. James victorious look made me want to gag, but I bit my tongue relishing in the taste of blood, and said nothing.

Aubrey offered me a look that clearly stated how sorry she felt for me. “It was a good attempt.” She comforted just loud enough for me to hear. I nodded sulkily. The boys continued their chatter oblivious to our near silent conversation.

For ten minutes or so the boys managed to chatter about neutral topics that managed not to rouse my wrath, or Aubrey’s. They chatted about Honeydukes, their summers, and Peter’s short term summer girlfriend who had apparently left him for some guy named Austin. Through all of that I managed to sit quiet counting up to one hundred, and backwards toward one in an effort to keep my calm.

But then the boys once again crossed the line.

“Have you seen Tess and Leah? They’re looking fine.” Sirius stated looking down right lecherous.

“Leah’s got a nice set, but Lily’s been keeping me occupied.” James confided wiggling his eyebrows and licking his lips suggestively.

“Damn.” Sirius whistled approvingly. “Well, Remus looks like Leah’s all yours. You think you're man enough for that?” Sirius chuckled. Remus, an intelligent looking blond boy, flushed giving Sirius a reproachful glare.

“I’d rather not pick up any nasty STDs. Unlike you all, I please not to have green genitals.” Remus looked honestly disgusted at the prospect, but the other three just laughed.

“Good old, Remus isn’t ever going to get any. The prude.” James chuckled elbowing Sirius playfully.

“Boy, haven’t me and James taught you anything? If you don’t use them, you lose them as we always say.” Sirius shared this philosophy, and punctuated the lewd statement by winking at Aubrey who narrowed her eyes immediately rolling her hands into fists.

“You man whore. Didn’t your mother teach you any manners?” Aubrey cried indignantly.

“Didn’t your mother ever teach you to respect your superiors?” Sirius shot back.

“Your mother obviously skipped the lesson, or else you’d be quiet and give Lennon and I some peace.” Aubrey’s tone was prim and proper—Aubrey’s tone of doom.

“As if. You two could hardly be considered my superiors. All of Gryffindor would agree I’m way out of your all’s league.” Sirius retorted.

“Whatever.” Aubrey snapped. “Don’t speak to me. Ever.”

“Have it your way, sugar.” Sirius practically purred before turning back to James.

“Now what was I saying about Tess’s nice rack?” Sirius asked James completely undeterred. I inwardly groaned preparing myself for a long conversation when Aubrey came to my rescue.

“Len, my lady, I have an idea.” Aubrey whispered conspiratorially.

“At this point I’m up for anything.” I replied in a hushed tone so, the boys wouldn’t hear.

"Revenge is sweet. I think we should bombard them with obnoxiously loud ‘girly’ talk that they as self-respecting ‘men’ won’t be able to endure for long. At worst, we annoy them, and at best, we get our compartment back.” She whispered this with an undertone of suppressed excitement.

I mulled over her words considering the consequences of attempting her plan, and considering all the alternatives. If we attempted her plan the worst that could happen was a war another embarrassing war of words while if we didn’t attempt it they might not shut up about ‘hot’ girls until we reached Hogwarts. The choice was really quite simple. I sighed inwardly before nodding ever so slightly to show I was in.

“OMG!” I squealed loudly something that I normally never would have done. “Ethington is sooo hot. Ever you seen his muscles this year? He had to have just worked out all summer. He looks absolutely delicious.” I nearly purred dramatically. The boys conversation flow faltered.

“Isn’t he?” Aubrey giggled. “Maybe you should go ahead, and help him foster his little crush for you. I bet he’s an amazing kisser.” Aubrey continued nudging me ever so slightly. The boys had became rather quiet obviously trying to pretend we weren’t bothering them. I knew that any moment they would have to break.

“I bet with lips like his? Hm . . . damn!” I exclaimed then for the sake of melodrama fanned myself as if the compartment was suddenly hotter at just the thought of kissing Ethington. In all reality, Ethington was my best guy friend, and just thinking about kissing him was more than a little strange. Still, the boys didn’t have to know that.

“You are so right. He’s almost as hot as that sell at Salem and Victoria. Everything was like at least twenty percent off because they were trying to rack in the profit before us teens took back to school. I bought this totally adorable pair of heels!” Aubrey gushed moving her hands in over the top motions. I gasped bringing my hand up to my chest as if this was the most shocking piece of information I had ever heard.

Truthfully, I wasn’t surprised. Aubrey knew about every sell, and had shopped at every sell. Fashion and Shopping were her higher callings. I personally couldn’t have cared less about shopping, but went long feigning interest.

“A sell at S and V?” I cried remembering the abbreviations of already short phrases was very girly. Plus I do believe I had heard Aubrey refer to the popular store as 'S and V' at least once before. “Why didn’t you owl me? You just let me miss a prime shopping opportunity. Tsk tsk.” I shook my head trying to look as disappointed as possible.

“Can you two shut up?” James asked looking rather irked.

Feigning chagrin I replied, “No, we rather enjoy talking.”

“Anyways, this is our compartment, and we’ll talk about whatever we want whenever we want.” Aubrey piqued turning her nose up just a touch to show her vexation with the boys and their constant irruptions. James opened his mouth to retort, but was cut off when Claire appeared in the doorway.

Claire Michaels was tall in the extreme with thin, bird-like features including a long nose that resembled a beak. Her smile was always simpering to the point that it boarder lined on being sickly sweet. Claire was your average brown-nose meaning she was a successful Hufflepuff bestowed with the honor of being a prefect, and also cursed with the attitude of a spoiled child. Her shoulder length black hair was pulled back in a stylish bun, and she was already dressed in her robes.

And at this very moment she looked flushed and rather agitated.

“I’ve been looking all over for you two.” She said giving us a pointed glare, and attaching a sigh like that a teacher normally uses when dealing with students known for causing trouble. I rolled my eyes an action which she didn’t seem to notice, or at least didn’t acknowledge.

“Well, we’ve been here the whole time.” I pointed out. Claire gave me an annoyed look as if I was missing something important. I quirked my eyebrow—the universal sign for Lennon doesn’t have a clue what your messed up facial expression means.

“I didn’t figure you’d sit here with them.” She explained with a little sigh. Notably, she said them as if the prospect of puking was more appealing than keeping their company. I had never been more proud of my normally annoying friend. I made a mental note to hug her later, and leave her alone about her nose.

“You should have known that we wouldn’t give up our compartment.” Aubrey said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. She had a point, though, we were much to head strong to ever give up what was rightfully ours because some pricks wouldn’t move. Defend thy honor was our motto . . . sometimes.

“It’s not your compartment.” The boys cut in sounding hostile. We promptly ignored them, but Claire shot the group a dirty look.

“Well, I suppose I should have. It is you two after all.” Claire agreed with a slight thoughtful nod as she absent-mindedly straightened her Hufflepuff tie which wasn’t crooked in the first place, but Claire was OCD about straightening the thing every ten minutes something I found particularly annoying about her.

“Anyways,” She began snapping out of her thoughts once more. “All the prefects are meeting in the back of the train. I’d thought you would like to know, Lennon.” Claire said with a bright smile. “You should come along too, James.” She added sounding like she would rather he not.

“Thanks for telling me. I’ll change into my robes, and be right there.” I said giving her an honest smile. I hadn’t known about the meeting, and it was nice to know that at least someone was doing their job. James and I were the Gryffindor prefects, and obviously not doing ours. How sad. Claire nodded with a dismissive wave.

“It’s no problem at all. I’ll tell them you're on your way.” She said as she turned to leave the compartment.

“You know,” James said giving me an appraising look as Claire disappeared from view. “Prefects that change together stay together. I’ll show you mine if you’ll show me yours.” James cajoled with a wicked grin. I blushed despite my best efforts not to.

“I’d rather kiss a Slytherin.” I hissed darkly. “Come on, Aubrey.” I said standing up, and straightening my skirt. “Let’s get this over with.” I declared before storming out of the compartment with Aubrey close on my heels.

We changed into our robes quite quickly. I slipped into my tailored, brand new set adored with the Gryffindor crest, and quickly pinned my prefect badge over my breast in plain sight. When I had finished changing Aubrey was done waiting out in the hallway dressed in her own robes, but missing the badge. I had no clue why I was the prefect, and Aubrey wasn’t. She was smarter, friendlier, and much more polite yet I got the badge. Sometimes I just didn’t get Dumbledore’s way of thinking.

We made our way to the prefects meeting, and I was surprised to find that James beat me there fully dressed out in his robes with a shiny badge pinned over his breast. The other three assholes were no where in sight. Thank heavens, one was bad enough. Although I had to admit James looked gorgeous with disheveled dark hair, and bright, mirth filled hazel eyes.

Mental slap. I will not think about James Potter. My new mantra when he’s looking too good for his own good.

The meeting was boring and easily thirty minutes long. The head boy and girl from each house introduced themselves, and went on and on about the responsibilities of being in a power position. I listened to about half of it, and spent the over half fighting sleep. By the time the meeting was over we had reached Hogwarts.

“Time to go, sweetie.” Aubrey said taking ahold of my arm, and hauling me to my feet. We made our way through the crowd of students with only minimal force. I had to manhandle a few first years, but it was for a good cause so, no harm done.

When we got off the train Ethington and Claire were done standing side by side apparently waiting for us. Ethington was looking as hot as ever with his brown hair slicked back fifties bad boy style, and his robes untied so that you could see the tight black muscle shirt and matching jeans he was wearing underneath his robes.

“Ethington!” I greeted as he pulled me into a warm hug. “It’s great to see you. I missed you on the train.” I informed him as he released me. He had grew, and now towered several inches over my petite 5’1 frame. Aubrey linked her arm through mine as we sit off toward the carriages with Ethington walking along at my other side, and Claire chatting up a storm with Aubrey about some fashion crisis a second year Ravenclaw was causing.

Everything was preceding as normal. Sulkily, I thought that this was how the train ride should have went. It was going to be a long year. I could already tell. I was a prefect with James Potter of all people after all.

I didn’t have long to brood though because the moment I stepped into the Great Hall I was excited once more.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. This chapter turned out to be huge considering that it started out as just over thousand words total. The rewrite was like one big dose of steroids, and suddenly 5,500 words just appeared out of the blackness. I really hope everyone enjoyed the read. Please comment!
~Sincerely