Status: Completed!

Like we used to

Stabbing jealousy

I rattled the door and pressed the doorbell a couple of times. I heard giggles from inside the house. Then, a silent hushing. I heard footsteps coming up to the door and the door swung open. Jesse looked impatient and irritated. When he realized it was me, Jesse took a step back and he avoided my eyes.

"Kyle, what a surprise. What's up?", Jesse asked.

"Are you busy back there or something?" I replied him with a question.

"Ummm..." Jesse looked uncomfortable under my assessing gaze.

"Jesse, honey, where are you? Didn't you say you would only be gone for a few minutes?"a painfully familiar voice came calling from inside Jesse's house. The footsteps were light.

My heart seemed to reset itself. Freya emerged from within the house, she came up to the door and wrapped her arms around Jesse. When she saw me, she averted her eyes.

"Kyle, I...." she started.

I looked at Jesse and back at Freya again. The sickening pain in my heart was growing. The numb, aching pain in my head got sharper. I nearly fell over. My bestfriend and my ex-girlfriend who I had not managed to get over?

Great. This is sooooo great. Fuck.

"I see," I managed before walking away from the house.

"Kyle, I'm sorry..."Freya called out to me.

I could feel Freya and Jesse's incessant gazes on my back as I disappeared into the distance. I was fuming. As soon as I was out of sight, I kicked a dustbin and watched it roll away. I groaned. Of all the guys in town, Freya just had to fall for Jesse.

Jesse, my childhood bestfriend, my confidante, the guy I had in mind to be my bestman if I ever got married. Now, I had no one to turn to.

Not Freya. Not Jesse. No one.

I felt empty as I walked down the streets to nowhere.
My fever persisted. My fingers cold against my burning forehead.
I needed a trip to the doctor's, a sensible voice in my head told me.
The rest of my body still felt raw from the reality of how my relationship turned out.

I recalled how Freya and I used to be. I remembered the feel of her lips on my cheek. I remembered the curves of her body in the moonlight. I remembered her throaty laughter. I remembered everything that happened between us.

It was like a disc player, rewinding itself and replaying.

I remembered how we first met. Under the stars, in that desert far from town. Her car was out of gas. She was stranded, far from home. There she stood along the road as i drove by. She was waiting for help. She seemed to have been waiting for me. Specifically me. I remembered how cold she had been, in that desolate place. I let her borrow my jacket. I took in all her features. Her fair hair, her pouty lips, her sea-blue eyes. It was love at first sight. I thought it was forever, when she agreed to going out with me. If only I knew how it was all going to turn out... If only I had never met Freya... If only...

Then, everything turned dark.