Status: All done :) Thank you for reading.

Fuzzy Blue Socks

Stay

“Jaylen” I answered subconsciously.
Color, everywhere bright neon colors assaulted my eyes. Fuzzy pillows, blankets, even chairs, adorned the otherwise sparse living room.
And I had thought my room above the bar was gaudy…
________________________________________
“Sage.”
If this was a normal meeting, then Sage would have added “A pleasure to meet you.” But that would have been a lie. The kid had broken his cane!
“Meow?”
Sage blinked. Sophie?
Warm fur brushed against his neck. He reached back to scratch her behind the ears.
________________________________________
The sound of a feline jolted me out of my color shock.
A cat?
I turned and saw Sage stroking the grey fur of a giant fluffy cat, his long hands being forth a purr. At another time, I might have thought something dirty, as it was however…
“Oh-mi-gawd it’s a CAT!” My voice rose to a squeak. I practicallt jumped on Sage in my attempt to grab at the soft looking animal. But even as my hands made to close around her belly she sprinted away, a hiss in her wake.
“Aw, it ran away.” I pouted. Why did that always happen?
“Um…” An uncomfortable voice mumbled and I looked down, surprised to find that I actually HAD jumped on top of Sage and was now perched on his lap.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh snap.
________________________________________
Sage felt the warmth of Jaylen envelope him as he sat on his lap. The scent of jolly ranchers flared in his nostrils. Why the crap did this kid smell like candy?
Wait… never mind.
But the question he really wanted to know was; why was he straddling him?!
“Um, can you get off of me?” Sage felt Jaylen shift to move, but as hi did so Sage’s hands bushed against his thigh. What the hell?
“Are you wearing a skirt?” he asked alarmed.
________________________________________
I froze, now kneeling on the cushions.
“Uh, yeah.”
“Why?”
Now this was not a question I was asked often. Because really, normally people would just be like “oh he’s just one of THOSE freaks.” And walk off. No one ever really asked as to WHY. So this took me a moment of pondering before I said simply.
“Because I like to.”
Sage’s face scrunched up in an expression I didn’t really understand. He didn’t say anything.
I bit my lip and quickly got off the couch. “I uess uh, you want me to leave now.” I mumbled looking around for where I had dropped my wig. “Can I call someone for you? Doctor? Family? Can you just call a doctor to come see you now days?” I was rambling, but I found that I couldn’t take his silence.
________________________________________
Sage could hear the hesitation in Jaylens voice. Actually… there was no one to call.
“Could you stay?” he asked after a few minutes of silence.
Although Sage had lived more than half his life alone, he hated it; thus the cat.
________________________________________
I stopped mid ramble.
“You… want me… to stay?” I couldn’t comprehend it.
________________________________________
“Yeah…” Sage murmured, feeling hiss face heat up.
________________________________________
In an instant every bad emotion was gone. I beamed.
“Okay!”
With plop I landed back on the couch next to him.
“Heehee. Want something to drink? Where are your cups by the way?” I asked cheerful.
________________________________________
“Just grab me a beer from the fridge.” Sage stated, pointing towards the kitchen.
“Okay!”
So tired…
Tomorrow he would have to go to the doctor after calling all his clients to reschedule their appointments. That would suck. Two of them will freak out, the other will be completely depressed, and probably try and commit suicide… again.
He sighed dramatically as he turned to prop his feet up on the couch. He should have taken off his shoes before he’d done that… all well.
Sage heard Jaylen return. “Here ya go!”
He reached out for the beer. In a fluid motion, Sage popped off the lid, and gulped down half of the bitter liquid.
“Thanks.” He grunted.
There was a small silence.
“Tell me something.” He finally said suddenly.
“Like what?” Jaylen asked.
“I don’t know, anything. Like… whats your favorite scent?”
________________________________________
I giggled.
“Cucumber melon. But I like apple cinnamon too; for spicier occasions.” I winked before I realized the action was pointless. He couldn’t see it. I sipped my beer and cringed. Ick, the stuff I served at the bar was better.
________________________________________
“Cucumber melon is nice, but soapy smells mix with my body chemistry better.” He said draining his bottle, hoping it would deaden the pain.
________________________________________
Without thinking I popped off my chair and leaned over him, inhaling. Soap, something simple like sandalwood, and a slight musky scent that mixed pleasantly with the sharper tang of laundry detergent drifted into my senses.
In other words, boy smelled damn good. More like… a boy.
“You’re right.” I said straightening. “Anything stronger wouldn’t suit you.”
“In my expert opinion, you’re very weird…”
I laughed. “Expert? You are? Really?”
“Yeah, I’m a shrink.”
I stared at his face for a moment to see if he was joking. He seemed to be serious.
“Wow.” I leaned forward and propped my chin on my hand. “and how does that make you feel?”
________________________________________
Sage cast his gaze in Jaylens direction. “Do you really want to know?”
________________________________________
The seriousness of his expression surprised me. I had been just joking around, but now that he asked, I found I really wanted to know.
“Well… yeah.”
________________________________________
“I hate it.” He said bluntly. “I find myself looking down on people like I’m superior or something. In reality I’m a fraud.”
________________________________________
I studied his face, letting the silence drag on until he swiveled his head in my direction once more. Finally I said, “Then change.” He opened his mouth in some sort of reply but I stood, casting a glance at the time on my cell phone. “Anyways, I gotta get to work soon. I’ll only be gone a for a few hours.” I pondered a moment. “Probably grab some clothes while I’m there to. Then come back here. Need anything before I go? Shower? Change your clothes? Move to your room?”
I was surprised to see his face flush. Had I said something weird?
________________________________________
“No… im fine..” he was such a liar.
If Jaylen hadn’t said that he was coming but, then Sage would have made up some poor excuse to make him stay. Why did he have to be such a selfish person?
“Well, goodbye then!” Jaylen said cheerfully.
“Bye.”
A weight of depression fell upon his chest as he heard the door close. Such finality make him wish that Jaylen would come back saying “Just kidding!”
Sage leaned back on the armrest. Sighing.
“Like that’s going to happen…”
His eyes drifted closed, as if it would matter. Darkness ruled his sight ever since… the accident.
“Mow?”
Sage smiled as he felt Sophie jump onto his stomach. “Sorry, Soph. Looks like we’re going to skip dinner…” he murmured, scratching the cat behind the ears, before slowly falling into oblivion.
________________________________________
I nibbled my lip as I hurried down the street. I’d get a cab to 3rd and then walk the last block…
But what about Sage? My mind cried. I was incredibly worried about the blind boy. Sure he seemed used to living alone, and he had his cat bit…
I broke his cane! I remembered with a gasped. What if he wanted to go somewhere?!
Wait… but I also had broken his foot…
Which was not so reassuring…
I clattered up the stairs other the bar, the heels of my boots making loud thuds against the wood. Maybe I’d just grab some clothes, and go back, tell Wes I wouldn’t be able to come in tonight…
I stripped off my girl clothes, choosing instead an oufit of jeans and a tight black T- Shirt. With the addition of multiple belts and some wrist bands I was ready. Staring at myself in the mirror I bit my lip.
Would Sage really be okay?
With a sigh I grabbed a studded choker – the last piece to my costume, and headed downstairs to do my job.
[To be continued…]