Did My Art Teacher Just Flirt With Me?

Getting What You Deserve

I was in my room. Pratically in tears... again. Alex was in his room now, it's been an hour since I got home. Not a sound was raised. My dad was asleep with Gina and Alex... Alex I don't know what he's doing right now but he's not playing his guitar like he usually did. I couldn't hear the sweet soft melodies tonight. I haven't heard them at all since the rumors started spreading.

Or spreaded. Now the whole school pratically knows it by heart. I could hear them reciting it as if it's the pledge of allegiance.

A small bump on the otherside of the door from Alex's room startled me as I jolted from my bed and silently made my way to the door. I leaned my forehead against it while I sat on my knees and listened.

I didn't recognize the song. He was playing. I knew that because I could hear soft strums of his acoustic guitar through the door. I held my breath hoping I could hear more.

"Ba-by! I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave, Oh! The more I get of you the stranger it feels, yeah. Now that your rose is in bloom, a light hits the gloom on the grave..."

I held my breath as the guitar abruptly stopped. There was a long silent pause and the sounds of bed springs lightly echoing from the otherside of the door. A quick shuffle and he was lights out.
****
"Wow..." Jenine said as she saw me slump into my chair. "You look like shi-"

"Can it." I snapped under my breath.

"Oh..." She hissed teasingly. "Bad night?"

I groaned in response.

"Well, I'm here for you Rachael." Jenine said in a sudden serious tone that I haven't heard since seventh grade. "You're my best friend and I'm going to find who did these rumors and... well forget about Alex. He's a jerk." She explained.

I lifted my head lazily in her direction and gave her a struggling smile. Jenine leaned in hugging me tightly against her. "Thanks Jenine... I'm alright though. At least they're not harrasing me or anything. In fact, everything's dying down." I smiled noticing the kids just avoid me now instead of staring and... well you know.

Jenine crossed her eyes. "That's because Alex reposted the bulletin board with the original scholarship assignments. I got one, Kristen got one, Courtney got one, and a few other girls and two boys in our class." She said in a low voice. "Ew... look at Kristen... looks like her and Alex are getting friendly..."

When I looked up, I was surprised how quickly I did it too, I saw Kristen leaning over Alex's desk with a sweet innocent smile that seemed to have him in a lock. Her hands slowly creeping over to his, he hesitated to move it away but in the end he let her touch him. His smile grew wider. He seemed happier. Kristen smiled leaning into his ear whispering something that made his smile became even more happier. I watched as he walked away leaving behind a slip of paper on his desk.

I looked away. My eyes closed, my breaths shallow. "Oh..." I croaked.

"Everyone please take a seat, class has begun." Alex's voice rang.

Jenine took a seat and I did too. He stood up for a moment with his eyes gently scanning the room to see who was absent and who wasn't. He called our names one by one. Everyone answered with a "here".

"Rachael Everstein." he called my name, knowing I was here, but all the same he called it anyway.

But I didn't hear it. I didn't hear anything but my own shallow breaths.
****
Kristen smiled as she sat next to Courtney who was now taking notes. "I see you're getting friendly with Alex." Courtney ginned noticing the glances Alex had given Kristen for the past twenty minutes.

She could only smile at how successful she was. Quickly, Kristen glanced over her shoulder to see Rachael holding her head tightly, shaking, probably crying. A soft snicker escaped her small lips as she turned back to Courtney with a triumphant smirk.

"I know... isn't it awesome? And look at Rachael." She said nodding her head over to the back of the class. Courtney glanced back and smiled pleasingly before looking back at Kristen. "Getting exactly what she deserves." They both said in unison.