Did My Art Teacher Just Flirt With Me?

Wilting And Fading Away

Locker break. I can't feel any more shi*ttier. Jenine and I hung out at our locker. Talking in low voices so other couldn't hear. We became more suspicious since the rumors because every time we said something, it seemed like somebody went around twisting what we said and telling it to others.

I'm starting to hate this school.

Neil came over to Jenine and gave her a kiss. I saw her blushing. A quick flash of guilt came across her face as Neil held her hand. She knew what I was going through. I missed Alex.

Robin came by from his class and saw me. He walked over and gave me a small, friendly hug before lettting go.

"Kristen and Alex seemed to be hooking up." Jenine spat. "I'm really starting to hate both their guts."

"No kidding." Neil hissed with just as much venom.

"I'm going to kill him." Robin growled, "I swear to god he's such a dick."

"Stop it guys." I muttered softly. I couldn't even stand hearing their names let alone the stuff about them.

The gang sighed as David came running up. His forehead sweating, obviously coming from the gym. "Hey guys, Rachael you doing okay?"

"No Dave, she's alright, after all, Alex did abandon her, Kristen betrayed her and the whole school hates her guts. Why would she NOT be okay?" Neil snapped.

Robin shook his head. I felt a soft squeeze at my hand and I didn't notice how long he'd been holding it.

Dave looked confusedly from his brother to me and back to his brother. "Is that a trick question?"

"You're so retarded." Neil sighed. "Of course she ain't alright!"

"Right! That's what I thought but I was just being nice!" He snapped.

"False chivalry." He muttered.

"What? Come on Neil! I'll take you!"

Jenine rolled up her sleeves and walked in-between the two with narrowed eyes. "Shut. Up."

I looked up now. "Guys, I'm alright. In fact, I'm feeling better." I smiled. I hoped it looked alright because I was feeling super crappy.

Before anymore comments could be said, the bell rang and me and Jenine quickly went back to our classes.
****
We learned that artist saw things differently. They'd invision their own world with their emotions and the expressed it through art. Alex had an array of equipment on the counter sink and asked us to do the same. Express our world.

I took a granite stick and a sheet of paper and sat at my desk with Jenine who was now listening to her ipod with a blob of clay. She nodded along with her music, squeezing and twisting the clay in her hands as she did so.

I stared at my poster paper and invisioned what I felt. In the next two hours I developed my picture. It was a sketch, a detailed sketch with a feild of flowers that were full of life and color. In the middle was one lone flower, that seemed to be wilting. On the next section of the paper was the same thing but a different season and the flower wilted even more. There were four sections, each representing a season and as each section went, the flower wilted until winter came and it died. The rest of the flowers still colorful and full of life while that one flower was grey.

"Aw man... you finished and it actually looks good." Jenine sighed picking up her clay. "Mine looks like a dog took a dump on my table... you think... you know who would let me take it home and finish it?"

I shrugged slowly getting up and to turn in the picture into the art tray "How should I know."

The bell rang once more. Jenine got up and walked over holding my hand and giving it a light squeeze. "I feel you Rachael. I want you to know, we're still here for you." She gave me a hug before leaving and I was left alone in the classroom.

"No lunch today either Rachael?" Alex said in a bored tone. "Don't tell me your starving yourself because of me."

I turned around to face Alex, my picture still in my hand, I lightly squeezed it. "No." I said in a brittle voice.

Alex raised an eye. "What was that?" He asked quickly.

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm not starving myself. Not for you." I emphasized the "you" as I tip toed to reach the top tray.

"Bet your jealous about Kristen huh?" He said in a cold voice. "I'm taking her to an amusement park with me tonight. Bet you know what's going to happen next."

I felt the tears rushing up to my eyes as I remembered the beautiful ferris wheel.

"The ferris wheel is sure romantic." He sighed with a laid back smile. "I can't wait to taste her lips and make that stupid wish." He chuckled.

"No..." I muttered softly. I hung my head, my hair shielding my face.

"Hey Rachael, don't tell me you're going to cry." He snickered.

I quickly twirled on my heels and smacked him as hard as I could to his face. The impact loud, it echoed in the empty classroom loudly. My tears finally over flowed as I dropped my picture and ran for it.

Alex grabbed for me but stopped. His face full of agony as he looked at me. His hand weakoned as he let go and I ran.

I ran away, my chest throbbing, and I knew it was my heart.
****
Alex sat in on at his desk. He thought he was angry at her. He thought he hated her. After all she did go out with Robin. She left him but yet, after everything he said to her, it didn't make him feel good at all. In fact he felt like shi*t.

He looked at the picture Rachael had dropped and looked at it over again. He saw the flower. The wilting flower that slowly began to fade as time went by.

He touched his cheek. Red, busted and tear stained. Her tears.

He touched the picture feeling the rough marks of the pencil and the softness of the beautiful flower surrounding the wilted one.

What was he doing to her?