Did My Art Teacher Just Flirt With Me?

The Long Awaited Forgiveness

"Um... yea dad." I smiled softly to myself.

My dad looked disappointed. Though it seems he's always disappointed with any guy I'm with, I'm really kind of starting to like Robin. He's sweet, loyal, and I made him sound like a dog but what can I say, I like this guy.

My dad sighed as he leaned against the wall. "So, then, what's going on with you and Alex? I thought you guys always hung around together."

My mind froze. "Um..." I thought back quietly on Alex. He was the person I truly did share my affections with, but... now... I don't know. I think I hate him or it's just that I want to stay away from him. It hurts when someone plays you and it's something you don't want to experience again. "Well, I thought you said it was better if I didn't get too close to him."

This puzzled my dad for some reason as he scratched the back of his head. "Since when would that stop you?" His brow raised questioningly at me and I looked away. "Did something happen between you to-"

"Evening Mr. Everstein." Alex said as he walked in through the front door.

My dad and I both glanced up to see Alex with a broadened smile I haven't seen in ages. "Aw, I told you to call me Ben." My dad whined as he hugged Alex.

Alex grinned letting go. "Well, I can't really get used to that you know." I saw his eyes slowly travel to mine and I felt the tension grow hot as my dad stared at both of us with a small smirk.

"Hey you two, I got some work with the record dealer, gonna be busy tonight." My dad smiled as he retreated into the hall. I was just about to say something when the office door slammed shortly afterwards. What is he thinking? God, he such a kid sometimes.

When I turned around to glance at Alex, he was already a foot too close to me. His outstretched hand at my gripping it softly. "Rachael, we need to talk." His voice was urgent.

When I shook my head no his grip tightened. “No... Let go. I’m tired Alex, we already talked. I heard enough.” My voice quivered as I tried to pull away for the second time of the night but with his strong grip, I wasn’t going anywhere.

He leaded me down the hallway and into his room, a room I haven’t been in for a while and it was messy. Very unusual. His clothes laid all over the floor and bed, his bath towels still wet hung over his computer chair, and his room smelled faintly of mixed perfumes. He sat me down on what looked like a pile of his clothes. Tired I laid back on his bed as he sat beside me.

"I know who did the rumor about us." My eyes widened. "Kristen..." his voice was low, slightly angry but I knew it was the truth.

"I kind of figured..." I muttered to myself. I mean, how obvious is it now that I think back. The constant text messaging she always did. The sudden stab in the back during lunch as she joined Courtney. Kristen had manipulated the whole school into thinking that Alex and me were the bad guys.

"So... well, I just found out tonight..." Alex said in a soft voice. His hand reached over to mind, squeezing it lightly as I sat up in disbelief. Not because I wouldn’t believe it was Kristen, but because all this time... how could people believe her? How could Alex fall into her scheme, and how stupid was I for not seeing it?

"Rachael, I apologize for everything, I really do hope you... forgive me." He choked.

"As I’ve warned you before, Kristen is a nasty gossip. I found her talking about what she did as soon as you left the park."

That breaking my thoughts I turned to Alex with a crossed look. "Alex no..." I got up from the bed, out of his reach. "I’m glad you told me about Kristen, but it doesn’t give me a reason to forgive you for playing me."

Alex nodded, his head bent low. "I’m sorry... I, I was stupid.”

"You’ve hurt me once before..." I said in a broken voice. "How do I know you won’t do it again?"

With a long sigh I was surprised to find myself wiping tears from my face. Hearing him sounding so kind since... what felt like an eternity of a time had my heart pounding again. Alex got up and walked over giving me a comforting hug. "I know I’ve hurt you baby..." He sang in an unfamiliar melody, “Will I ever wipe those tears away fore’ summer comes?”

I buried my head in his warm chest shivering slightly as he held me closer. "I swear it." He said in a the softest voice he had, "I’ll never hurt you again... " I looked up at him, a small smile flashing through my tears. Hopefully it was the last time I’d ever cry again, and maybe, as we stood there together in each other’s arms, he knew that I’ve wanted to forgive him for a very long time...