Did My Art Teacher Just Flirt With Me?

Cry

Alex stepped up to the mic. Head hung low. I couldn't see his face. He held the mic in his hands, soflty he muttered alittle something.

"I'll always love you Kimberly" He whipsered

The band began playing the song, I wasn't sure if anyone else heard him but I know I did. My heart began pounding as I heard his voice flooding through my ears.

"He woke up from dreaming and put on his shoes
Starting making his way past 2 in the morning
He hasn't been sober for days

Leaning now into the breeze
Remembering Sunday, he falls to his knees
They had breakfast together
But two eggs don't last
Like the feeling of what he needs

Now this place seems familiar to him
She pulled on his hand with a devilish grin
She led him upstairs, she led him upstairs
Left him dying to get in

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

Even though she doesn't believe in love,
He's determined to call her bluff
Who could deny these butterflies?
They're filling his gut

Waking the neighbors, unfamiliar faces
He pleads though he tries
But he's only denied
Now he's dying to get inside

Forgive me, I'm trying to find
My calling, I'm calling at night
I don't mean to be a bother,
But have you seen this girl?
She's been running through my dreams
And it's driving me crazy, it seems
I'm going to ask her to marry me

The neighbors said she moved away
Funny how it rained all day
I didn't think much of it then
But it's starting to all make sense
Oh, I can see now that all of these clouds
Are following me in my desperate endeavor
To find my whoever, whoever she may be

I'm not coming back
I've done something so terrible
I'm terrified to speak
But you'd expect that from me
I'm mixed up, I'll be blunt, now the rain is just
Washing you out of my hair and out of my mind
Keeping an eye on the world,
From so many thousands of feet off the ground, I'm over you now
I'm at home in the clouds, and towering over your head

"Well I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home now...
I guess I'll go home""

The crowed began cheering as he stepped off the stage. The band follwed and Jenine and Kristen stood next to me with smiles and all.

"Wow! He could sing!" She said in a giddy voice.

Kristen nodded. "Beautiful and talented! What do you think Rachael?"

I don't know what came over me then. I just felt... betrayed for some reason. It's not like I like Alex. It's not like we went anywhere I mean for God's sakes we dont even know eachother. More than that we're always frighting! Well at least this proves he isn't gay...

"Trust me, if I was gay, I wouldn't even consider how cute you are."

My face flushed and I turned my head away from my friends. Kristen and Jenine, both concerened tapped my shoulder. "Are you alright?" They asked in unison.

From embarrasment to anger I shifted away from them. "I need some air." I growled before storming off.

I made my way through the crowds and headed out the door feeling the blast of cool air hitting my cheeks.

****

Alex pulled his guitar strap off handing it to Robin as he helped clean up the set. The twins Jake and Adam walked over giving Alex small hugs. "I'm surprised you actually came. Thanks Alex, this means alot to her... wherever she is..."

Alex shrugged. "It doesn't make a difference. She's dead. I doubt music is in her ears while six feet under."

"You don't have to be crude." Robin sighed. "Hey, David! Neil! Finish up packing, I'll get us some drinks!" Alex turned to head out the door. "Hey man." Robin said as he gently touched Alex in the shoulder. "You going to be okay?"

"Why not?" He said nonchalantly as he left.

****

I felt angry.

I had no idea why but I was so angry. Angry enough to damage this bench to toothpicks. Maybe I was mad because Alex never spoke about any of this. The concert, the memorial, or that he wasn't going to be in class. He could've at least told me something. Even my dad could've said something. But my dad's a nut case. I thought last night Alex and I were on friendlier terms.

Okay, so I'm a bit... jealouse, but over some dead girl I don't even know? And come on! I don't even know Alex at all! I don't even think he likes me but...

"Trust me, if I was gay, I wouldn't even consider how cute you are."

No! No! No! What am I thinking?? He's my teacher. My dad's roomate! He's at least twenty now! No! No! No! I-

"Rachael? 'No' what?"

I jumped with a small shriek turning around to face Alex, my face flushed. "Huh?" I muttered stupidly. "N-nothing. Um good show..."

Alex shrugged. "Yea... what were you doing here anyway?" His voice was edgy. Like he's saying he didn't want me to come.

I couldn't answer. I was pretty confused, why was I here? Oh yea, his band invited me and my friends here. And so we came. I was about to answer but Alex spoke first. "Whatever. I'm going home." I watched him turned hastily towards the parking lot. I don't know why but I ran after him.

"H-hey!" I shouted. Alex stopped turning to face me. "Can I get a ride?" I sputtered. Fuck. Why'd I say that?

Alex stood still staring at me for a long time. Face expressionless, deep with thought. It was like he barely understood what I was saying because he dazily went off towards his car gesturing me to follow him slowly. My cheeks were hot as I quickly followed. When I got in the car I remembered something.

"Um, my dad said something about papers coming in for you." I said softly.

Alex remained silent as he gassed the ignition and pulled out hte parking lot.

Too gloomy, too quiet. I couldn't stand it! I pulled the gear shift to the parking slot and shook his shoulder hard. "When I"m speaking to you, I'd like an answer!" I said quickly with what little courage I had. "Your so rude and irresponsible! Just because some chick died doesn't mean shit! Get on with your life and stop moping around! You're such a priss!"

Alex leaned his head against the steering wheel with a shudder. His body shivered as his breaths became shallow. I stopped yelling and stared at him with shock. When I bent down I could see tears streaking his cheeks dripping down to stain his jeans.

"Dammit!" He whimpered.

I sat back quietly and waited while he cried. What else was I supposed to do? What could I do? I don't know anything about him and that chick. Nothing. I could do nothing.