Did My Art Teacher Just Flirt With Me?

Broken Promises

It was all just... fast. Alex was bent down on his head against the steering wheel. We were still in the parking lot. He was still crying. My hands trembled uselessly on my lap. I was urged to hold him. Maybe even comfort him but I was scared to touch him at all.

"I'm sorry... if I said anything wrong..." I said gingerly, my hand reaching to at least stroke his shivering back.

Before they touched him, he slammed his fists into the dashboard. "No!" He cried, coughing, choking on his tears. "I'm fine... I'm fine..."

I swallowed hard. "Okay, okay, just... trying to help..." I said quickly.

"She left me... just like that..." He shuddered.

"Who?" I asked, my hands finding their way to his shoulder. I managed to pat him once... maybe twice before letting him go.

"Kimberly."

****

Alex remembered. It was a year ago that he lost everything. His love and his dreams. He thought he had it all until the week of graduation came and the love he cherished was stolen away with one breath.

"Wow... congrats! I can't believe your graduating so early!" Kimberly grinned with a wide giddy smile. "You suck ass!"

Alex could only laugh at her sorry attempt to name call him. "Now, now Kimberly, do we need to have another talk about jealousy?"

Kimberly shook her head with a smirk. "You're one to talk Mr. Greedy."

"Well, all that's left now is for you to graduate next year and then we're all set, me, you, Robin, Neil, and, David. We're all going to be big!" He emphasized big with his arms as they slowly found their way around her waist.

Kimberly smiled sofly. Her eyes dimmed slgihtly as she nodded. There was a secret she kept from Alex from a long time. She knew if she told him, he'd do everything he can to help her but he can't. There was nothing to stop it. The truth was, she was sick. Cancer spreading throughout her body like poisen, slowly eating up her brain cells. She had two weeks left. There was nothing she could do.

"I'm going to get a teaching job here until you graduate, then we can all get that record deal together." Alex grinned excitedly.

Alex had his whole life planned out and she wasn't going to be a part of it. It was something she had to accept. Kimberly knew that. But everyday it get's harder and harder.

"Something wrong?" Alex asked noticing her quietness.

Kimberly shook her head. "Nah! I'm fine just spacing out haha."

Alex smiled and leaned in to kiss her. Their lips brushed eachothers for only a moment before Alex pulled away. "I got you something..."

"No! Kimberly! Wake up! WAKE UP!!!"

Kimberly's eyes widened as a ring slid onto her finger. "A promise ring. I promise to love you and only you. Forever..." He paused with a small smile. "Sounds pretty corny huh?"

Her throat seemed to throb as she continued to stare at the unbeleivable ring he had just given her. It was saphire, her birthstone, shining brightly under the flourescent lights. "Yea... it is." She grinned before planting another kiss on his lips. "But beautiful."

"You promised to stay with me! You promised!"

"So will you promise the same?" Alex softly muttered.

"Duh, stupid." She laughed as she took another glance at her glittering ring.

"You can't die! Please! Please! Wake up!"

"Well I guess that means I can say this." He grinned, "I love you Kimberly Olson."

She smiled softly knowing this would hurt him. This would hurt him bad if she didn't tell but maybe it was a mistake to even get involved at all. She didn't know. She didn't know at all. All she DID know was that Alex loved her, and that's what she needed right now. Selfish or not.

"I thought we were going to be together forever."

****