Status: Completed; There's a sequel if you're interested ...

Death Is Unpredictable

Chapter Eleven: Guess

Ash was confused, even as Alison gave them their second riddle.

“Land and water, fill desire. Sea shells, sea shells, he wants more. La la land isn’t what it seems, deep within their land of dreams. Only a mind-reader, could understand this plan.”, Alison says, smiling slightly.

“Ash?”, Nina says, frowning.

“One step at a time, psychic.”, Alison says, smiling. “You still have to figure out ‘Land and water, fill desire.’”

“A ship,” Ash says immediately.

“Maybeeee,” Alison says, smiling.

“Oh, I know that look of approval!!”, Max yells, smiling.

“To the ship we go!”, Alison says, smiling. She then frowns, looking around. Her cell phone rings, and she flips it open. “Hello?”

“Who is it?”, Kevin growls.

“Oh, yeah, yeah I’m with them.”, Alison says, walking away. “I just gave them the second riddle.”

“She’s frickin’ talking to whoever kidnapped Melody!!!”, Dylan yells, running after her. But Alison started running away.

“Well, as you can tell, I’m a little busy.”, Alison says, rolling her eyes. She kicks Dylan, immediately gasping. “Oh my gosh!! I’m so sorry!! Don’t sneak up on me like that!!”, Alison gasps, walking away slowly. “Look, I gotta go before they try killing me. And don’t worry. They’re as clueless as Tipsy outside.”

And she hung up, smiling at everyone like as if it weren’t a big deal that she had just talked to Melody’s kidnapper.

“Who. Was. That?!!!”, Kevin growls.

Him. The guy who kidnapped Melody. He doesn’t sound happy.”, Alison says, wincing. “Look, I’m hungry, so, can we just go up to the cloud?”

“Fine,” Kevin says through his teeth. Ash and Nina grab Alison’s hands, as they all fly up to the cloud. Alison sits down, playing with her iPod, as everyone stares at her oddly.

“I’m not the best liar. But I’m not an ignorant person. Kevin, chill. He thinks that you all are a bunch of idiots. And that I’m hoping you all never find her. Trust me, he’s an idiot.”

“Is it Josh?”, Max blurts out.

“Nope,” Alison says, playing with her iPod. “But who knows? I could be lying?”, Alison says, rolling her eyes. “Like about how we’re murdering a Mr. Christopher Matthew Johnson.”

“But you told me the lie for that,” Max says, sitting down beside her. Alison stuffs her iPod in her pocket, headphones in her ears as she looks up.

“Ahh!!!”, Alison screams, throwing the headphones out of her ears. “Crap. I gotta go.”

“Go meet him?”, Kevin growls.

“No! I just — give me a minute, I’ll think of something.”

“You’re a horrible liar,” Jolie says, pushing Alison down in the chair.

“And you’re a horrible bad-girl.”, Alison mutters, rolling her eyes. “You want honesty, that’s all I can say. I say what’s on my mind, and then I regret it for less than five seconds. Regretting is for losers who think their life is horrible because of all the frickin’ mistakes they’ve made.”, Alison says, standing up. “I only move forward. But I like to live in my past. Like I still act like I’m five.”

“You’re trying so hard to avoide the topic.”, Kevin growls.

“If I could tell you straight out who this was, I frickin’ would. But then Melody could die. Play the game right, and you may get her back in time.”, Alison says, frowning. “So, waste all your anger on me, or save it for later. When you’re fighting him for her.”

“I’m what?!!!”

“Oops, I’ve said too much,” Alison says, sitting down. “He’s angry,” and she was looking around at everyone. “I need to sleep,” and she was walking toward Melody’s cottage.

“What are you doing, you little demon?!”, Dylan growls.

“I need to sleep!!!”, Alison yells, digging through Melody’s drawers. “Aha! Thank you, undead!”, and put two pills into her hands. Everyone was staring at Alison oddly, as she pulls out a bottle of something and drinks the pills. “Now, excuse me as I sleep. And don’t even try reading my mind, Ash. He has some weird way of blocking you.”

And she was out, snoring slightly. They all left, frowning and frustrated.

“’Sea shells, sea shells, he wants more.’”, Nina sings, smiling. “Lets hop on that boat!!!”

“Wait, what about Alison?”

“Leave her,” Kevin growls.

“Dude, she’s still your niece. And she’s not really supposed to be here. Her dream was foggy, though.”, Ash says, rolling his eyes. “And she’s worried about Melody.”

“She sure doesn’t act like it!!”, Dylan growls.

“Maybe because of her problem with emotions. Dude, I can sense that she’s worried! Look at Max!!! He’s about to wake her up!!”, Ash says, pointing to Max.

Max was able to control emotions. He was also the youngest of them, which is how he got his yellow eyes, that were like the golden rays of the sun.

“She’s a wreck,” Max says, shaking. “She’s nervous, scared, frightened stiff of you, Kevin!!”

“Plus, she’s got some value to him! You’ve seen her, she’s close to him.”

“But she’s disposable!!!”

“Yeah, but whoever is holding Melody hostage obviously wants us running in circles. He’s over confident. And he scares Alison. Max?”, Ash asks, looking toward the young boy.

“Huh?”, Max says, shaking his head. “Umm, Josh, Kevin, Elijah, and Sebastian. But mainly Kevin and Josh.”, Max says, smiling nervously. Everyone’s head turns as someone yawns, walking up to them, just seeing Alison right before she tripped like her normal klutzy self. But Max catches her right before she hits the ground.

“Umm, let go, Max,” Alison says uncomfortably. Max quickly lets go, stepping away. “I got enough of that with Chris. And now look at me, I’m planning his murder with Tyler.”

“You’re grouchy when you first wake up.”, Max says, raising an eyebrow.

“Yeah, I know. But I’m also grouchy when boys don’t keep their hands where they belong.”

“Alison, tell us who he is!!”, Ash says, sitting down next to her.

“I can’t!!!”

“Yes, you can. You’re just scared of what will happen if you do.”, Ash says quietly. “Here, Eric, Jeremy, Connor! Hold Kevin back! Max, control everyone’s mood!!”

“No! I’m not saying!! Figure out the riddles!!”, Alison says desperately. “Look, here’s your final riddle!!!”, and she throws the tiny slip of paper at them.

“Okay, thanks. Now, tell me who’s Melody’s kidnapper.”, Ash says, grabbing it.

“No!!!”

“Calm down!! Max!!!”

Max walks over, sitting up on the table. “See this?”, Max says, waving Alison’s cell phone. “I’ll call your dad if you don’t tell me.”

“Alright! Pinky promise you won’t tell!”

“What are you? Five?”

“Jolie!!”, Max growls. “Pinky promise!”

“Wait! Let me see your other hand!”, Alison says, flinching away. Max rolls his eyes, showing her his other hand while pinky promising. “Okay, come here,” and she stands up on her tiptoes, whispering in his ear.

“Seriously?!! Him?!!!”

Alison nods, sitting down. “Now hand me my cell phone.”

Max grumble incoherently, handing her the tiny flip phone. “And my iPod. Before I murder you for touching it.”, and he hands it to her. “Thank you, Max.”

“Yeah, yeah, listen to your music.”

“Nope. I’m not falling for that.”

“There’s a computer with Internet access in my house. Here’s the key, look for the house with the amber door.”

“Okay, thanks! And remember, breaking a pinky promise is bad luck. And revenge the size of Kentucky.”

“Yeah, I know,” Max grumbles, as Alison skips away happily.

“Well?”, Kevin asks excitedly.

“What? I can’t tell you!”

“Then what was the point of all that!”, Kevin growls.

“To gain her trust. And she’s right about that whole pinky promise thing.”, Max says, looking after Alison. “And that is exactly why I crossed my toes.”

“Genius!”

“Idiot!”, Alison yells, skipping back over. “He warned me. Or maybe that was Elijah?”

“So you lied?!”

“Not to you,” Alison says, patting his shoulder. “But to the rest of them.”

“What?!”

“Oh, well … where to begin, where to begin. Okay, well, first off. I’m just messin’ with yah!! Idiots. And if I told any of you, he’d kill me right then. I have no value to him.”

“Wait a second … Alison, what does an emerald symbolize?”, Kevin asks calmly.

“An emerald is the stone of Venus, Roman goddess of love. It is believed to impart love to the bearer. And it’s the birthstone of May. I’m wearing one right now!”

“Ah, so would, I don’t know, a player with a crush give it to a girl?”

“Depends on how much he loved her. I could see you —”

“Yeah, that’s it. You know too much.”

“You’re not the only one to ever think that.”

“Okay, emerald necklace, Paris, scaring Alison! Knowing what Alison is and how to use it against her!! Brothers!!! It’s Josh!!!”, Kevin yells. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Good? Bad? Comment?