Status: Completed; There's a sequel if you're interested ...

Death Is Unpredictable

Chapter Six: Psychic Human

Kevin, I’m assuming, had somehow managed to get both Alison and Sophie’s classes together, and then let all of us join them.

“So, your dads aren’t the same?”, Kevin asks, raising an eyebrow.

“Nope. Say anything to Sophie and I’ll kill you.”, Alison threatens gravely, kicking around a soccer ball. I had learned her best friend was Tyler, and that she called Ryan, “Mr. Funny.” I actually learned a lot about her and Sophie.

“So if your dads aren’t the same …”, Kevin says confusedly.

“Look, can we drop it?”, Alison sighs, kicking the ball across the parking lot. Tyler kicks it back, and they go at it. Sophie runs toward Alison eagerly, and Tyler kicks the ball toward them. I smile as I watch Sophie kick the ball.

“I still don’t get it.”, Kevin grumbles.

“Get over it, Kevin. And why do you care so much about her family?”, I ask, raising an eyebrow suspiciously.

“Nothing,” Kevin grumbles, running to play with them. The rain clouds above us, Fallen, wasn’t even sprinkling, and kept it cool so Sophie could stay out longer, but Alison still looked worried and suspicious. I run to join them, Dylan soon joining me.

“Kick the ball to us!”, we yell together excitedly.

“Sophie, can I see that ball?”, Alison asks, smiling as Sophie nods. Alison sets the ball down, muttering something as she runs to kick it as hard as she could. Dylan runs to get it, and I just stand there eagerly until Ash comes near me.

“Alison’s suspicious. I think she knows about us, somehow.”, Ash mutters to me quietly. I stare at him oddly, running as Dylan kicks the ball toward me.

How could a human know about us? I didn’t even know about us, and I’m one! I think, kicking the ball toward Alison. Tyler gets it, and him and Alison wrestle for the ball.

“Maybe she’s psychic?”, Kevin suggests, standing next to me.

“But wouldn’t that make Sophie psychic?”

“Not necessarily. If it’s genetic? I don’t know.”

“Psychics?”, Alison asks, panting as she runs over to us. “I think my mom is.”

“Interesting,” Kevin says gravely.

“Hey! I’m not crazy! A little random and weird, sure, but I’m not crazy.”

“Wasn’t even thinking it.”

“Good,” Alison says, running to chase after Tyler as he steals the ball. “Tyler!!!”

♠ ♣ ♠

The rest of the day went pretty much like that, until finally, Alison and Sophie had to go home. We offered to take them home, and Alison didn’t deny.

“I say we take her to Fallen.”, Max says, smiling.

“We’re in enough trouble with Dylan around.”, Kevin growls.

“Yeah, but Alison’s your niece.”, Ash says, smirking.

“No privacy with Mind-Readers,” Kevin grumbles.

“You’re one to talk,” I say, smirking.

“And I think she’s psychic. She saw Melody, you, and Dylan in a dream.”, Ash says, shrugging.

“Oh, another psychic! Can we keep her?”, Nina says excitedly.

“Her mom would notice.”, I say, frowning disapprovingly.

“Not if we leave a note saying that she’s spending some time with some friends.”, Kevin says, smirking.

“Well, Ash explained why you’re so interested with her family.”, I say teasingly, rolling my eyes.

“Yes, because Elijah tried to put me back on earth and I end up dying as John Christopher, who just so happens to be Alison’s still-born uncle.”

“How come Elijah never told us?”, Roxana asks, frowning.

“Because, he wasn’t sure if it’d work. And he didn’t wanna try it on you all, because if it didn’t work, he wasn’t sure what would happen.”

“So, what? We’re kidnapping a thirteen year old and a six year old?”, I ask sarcastically.

“No! She’ll be visiting long-lost family.”, Kevin says smugly.

“Shouldn’t we talk to Elijah about this, first?”, Jolie asks, frowning.

“Yeah,” I say, rolling my eyes.

“Fine! I’ll ask Elijah! Tell them I’m in the bathroom or something.”, Kevin grumbles, turning invisible before flying up to the cloud.

“I know what I heard.”, Alison says gravely.

“Look, we can explain —,” Ash starts nervously.

“Explain what? I’m not angry. And if I were, what difference would it make? I know this ‘Elijah’ wants to meet my sister. If he’s what I think he is, he knows he can’t see her without me.”, Alison says gravely.

“Then it’s settled!”, Kevin says enthusiastically. “C’mon, little niece!”, Kevin says, smirking.

“I’m not that little. You’re what? Sixteen when you died? I’m only three years younger. And your youngest in the group is the same age as me.”, Alison says, rolling her eyes as she turns around to get Sophie.

“Psychic,” Ash and Nina say together.

“Eric?”

“Yep. Psychic. And a little bit of a mind-reader.”, Eric says unemotionally, smirking. Ash and Nina exchange high-fives, smiling hugely.

“Can we keep her?”, they ask together.

“Nope,” Alison says simply.

“Elijah knows how upset angels get, and Satan won’t be too pleased.”, Alison says sarcastically, handing Sophie to me. I pick up the little girl, smiling. “Go into the limousine, go down the road a little before going invisible.”

“My niece has spoken! Everyone in the limo!”, Kevin says, practically pushing some of them. Alison rolls her eyes, walking right behind him. We all get in the limousine, and Alison instructs us where to go before heading toward the cloud. Once the limousine vanishes, and we’re all invisible, Kevin took Alison’s hand, and I grabbed Dylan’s before flying up.

♠ ♣ ♠
 

Alison and Sophie had met Elijah, who was thrilled to have met the “Angel on Earth.”

“She’ll live longer than you, Melody. Or at least I hope.”, Alison says sadly, forcing a smile as Roxana and Jolie play dress-up with Sophie.

“Death is unpredictable,” we say together.

“So, how has my niece been doing these past few years?”, Kevin asks, wrapping an arm around Alison’s shoulders. She steps away from him, shrugging out of his grip.

“Good, I guess,” Alison grumbles, shrugging. “Sometimes I feel like I grew up faster than I should’ve.”

“How so?”

“Sophie.”

“Oh. Doesn’t she have what you had, Melody?”

“But not as badly. Yet.”

“Oh.”

“I think she’ll live a lot longer, though. Whenever I look at Sophie, all I ever see a little girl with the brightest future imaginable whenever. I see a little angel, who needs just the tiniest little push to spread her wings and soar higher than the clouds.”

“You have quite the imagination,” I comment, smiling.

“I’m a dreamer. Day and night. It’s just who I am.”, Alison says, shrugging. “You have to be to live through my life.”

“I’m not gonna ask.”

“Good,” Alison grumbles. “Can we spend the night here?”

“Of course!”, Kevin says enthusiastically. Thunder, Timber, and Wood come running out then, wagging their tails wildly with happiness once they spot Sophie.

“Was there ever …”, Alison struggles. “Ever … a black and white cocker spaniel named Sassy that ran by here?”

“Nope, sorry,” Kevin says, frowning.

“Oh,” Alison says sadly. “She went straight to heaven.”

“Heaven. I’m still wondering what that looks like.”, I say, staring up at the clear blue sky.

“Blindingly bright, gold and the purest white. The clearest skies, floating on the softest cloud.”, Alison says, smiling. “Just look at Sophie. You get a picture of what heavens like with her around.”, Alison adds sheepishly.

“That’s sweet,” I say, smiling.

“I prefer to think of it more as, dedication.”

“That’s some strong vow.”, Ash says, his eyebrows raised together as he stares at her.

“I’m a Taurus. We’re loyal, stubborn, and we’re dedicated.”

“Stubborn as a Taurus,” Kevin chuckles.