Deserved to be Alive

two.

There was a quiet tap on the door as it slowly squeaked open. In walked three men; one who, for the first time in a while, made Adele's knees go weak. She stared intently into his eyes. The walls around her had seemed to disappear.

“Hello,” he said, his words were coated in a thick Russian accent, “I am Evgeni Malkin, This Sidney Crosby, and Jordan Staal. You call me Geno.”

It took Adele a second to find her words, blushing in embarrassment, “Hi, I'm Adele.”

Sidney stepped forward and pulled Adele into a warm embrace, “How are you doing?”

“I'm alright,” she said, her voice cracking.

He stepped back, studying her eyes. Sidney could tell she was not doing alright. Her eyes told a different story. To show respect, Sidney just nodded and looked over to Jordan. The tall blond man before present Hanna with a rectangular perfectly wrapped box.

“This, little lady,” he said as he handed her the box, “is a gift from me and the boys over at the Mellon.”

Hanna's eyes lit up for the first time since she was diagnosed. She tore away the neatly wrapped wrapping paper and let out an ear splitting squeal, “AH! Delly, look! A new barbie!”

“Merry Christmas Hanna!” Geno, Jordan, and Sidney all said in unison.

Adele looked over at the local celebrities, “Thank you so much.”

Geno pulled her into a bone crushing hug, “It not problem. I like reaction from Hanna.”

“That makes two of us.”

Adele smiled as she watched Hanna play with her new doll. She brought in a nurse to take a photograph of the five of them before the hockey players were on their way to make another sick child's holiday a cheery one.

After some of the excitement had worn off, Hanna lay back in bed and pulled the covers up to her small chin, “Delly?” she choked out.

Adele quickly dropped everything and brought her full attention to Hanna, “What is it Hannie, do you need something? I'm right here, sweetie.”

“Why am I dying?”

Taken aback, Adele was at a loss of words for a moment, “Honestly baby girl, I have no idea. You deserved to be alive, ten years with you in my life hasn't been long enough.”

“Will I get to meet Daddy?”

Adele cringed at the mention of her father, “I don't know Hannie. Daddy was not a good person, he was very very bad.”

“Good night Delly, I love you.”

Hanna lay her head down on the plush pillow and shut her eyes, fully aware of the plan fate had chosen for her. Even for a ten year old, Hanna had a very mature understanding of life and things that involved it. It blew Adele's mind that her baby sister had already come to terms with death and the fact that she was going to die at any possible moment. She admired Hanna's maturity and poise.

Slowly, Adele found a small sanctuary in her dreams. She was able to escape the harsh reality of her dying sister and experience a perfect life. However, Adele was not in her sanctuary for long. Her phone rung, signaling a new text message. She held the phone before her face, cradled in her long slender fingers as she studied the screen.

One new messages:

Andrew:
How is she doing? I'll be over at noon so you can take a break.
♠ ♠ ♠
meh :/
crappy.
4 comments to update?