Deserved to be Alive

seven.

“Wait a second, repeat that please?” Adele requested, sitting across Emma, her head pounding.

“Max and I” she paused, “are getting married.” she paused again, “will you be” Emma paused for the final time, “my maid of honor.”

Adele's eyes nearly popped out of her head, “YES YES YES, a thousand times yes!”

Emma giggled, showing Adele the ring Maxime had proposed with. It was a beautifully cut diamond, “There's just one tiny little issue... You would have to walk with Geno down the aisle.”

The petite blonde watched her best friend's face go from an expression of pure joy and excitement to one of hurt and disliking. Emma sighed, “If you want, I will talk to Max, we'll switch around the order and whatnot. I'm sure he'll understand.”

Emma took a long sip of her coffee and shook her head, “No, don't worry about Em. It is your special day. I'll do whatever you want and help you as best I can.”

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Emma jumped out of her seat. Returning back to her chair, there was a wave of seriousness that had washed over her. “You know, he really misses you.”

“I appreciate you talking and-” Adele started before she was stopped.

Emma held up her hand to pause her friend, “Just hear me out. I think you two just need to talk your problems out, no yelling, shouting, or name calling. Just casually over dinner. Like tonight, the boys are going out and I don't want to be stuck as the only girl. Tag along. Geno is Geno, I can't help but feel bad for the poor guy. Things in Russia are different than here, you know that.”

Sighing, Adele listened to what her friend had told her and took it into consideration. Two girls continued to chat a little longer, talking about the wedding and all the fine details that Max would have no interest in. They set a date for dress shopping, said their good-byes, and headed off in opposite directions.

Back at her apartment, Adele noticed her brother's car in the spot next to hers. It was that moment when Adele remembered that it was Andrew and his wife, Carol's anniversary and she had promised she would watch the twins for them while they spent the evening together.

She dropped her keys in the small bowl on the table beside the front door, “Drew I'm back.”

Andrew's head popped around the corner, “Hey, thank you so much. The boys are in your office doing homework. Carol and I will pick them up tomorrow morning.”

Adele hugged her brother, “No problem, take your time. Hey, Drew?”

Her brother turned around with a questioning look, “What's up?”

“How did you know that Carol was the one?” she asked.

Fully aware of where the conversation was headed, Andrew simply answered, “No matter how bad our arguments got, they made me love her even more. Why does it have to do with Geno?”

Adele shook her head in denial. However, Andrew was smarter than that. He knew deep down inside his little sister loved Evgeni Malkin, hockey wonder. Andrew read Adele like a book, her feelings for the Russian were obvious and everyone knew it.

“Well I've got to get going. Carol is going to be wondering were I am and I don't want to be late for the missus.” Andrew said as he stepped out the front door.

Adele gave Andrew one last hug before sending him on his way. Sighing, she picked up her phone and texted Emma:

hey, can't make dinner :( Promised drew I would babysit the boys.

Nearly seconds after Adele put her phone down on the small coffee table in front of the couch, it began vibrating and ringing:

invite the Russian over. Xoxo

Adele did not bother putting her cell phone back in its previous location. She took a deep breathe and dialed a once familiar number. Adele was standing in the middle of her living room, torn. Her heart said, 'Let Evgeni back into your life, you love him'. Meanwhile, her head was telling her otherwise.
♠ ♠ ♠
woo( :