Deserved to be Alive

eight.

“Evgeni, hey, it's me, Adele.” she said softly, not expecting him to answer.

“Have caller ID.” he said, his Russian accent sounded even thicker over the phone.

Adele blushed, “Oh. Hey listen, I have to babysit for my nephews. I was wondering if you would want to come over. You know, so we can talk and everything.”

Evgeni flashed his teammates a goofy smile they had not seen in days , “Sound good. I come over at five?”

“Yeah,” she said, “five sounds great. I have to go make them dinner, so I'll see you soon.”

“Bye, See soon.” he said and hung up.

Glancing over at the clock, Adele have twenty minutes before she was face to face with her Russian. She walked back into her office and sat next to the twins. She knocked on the frame of the door quietly, announcing her presence. “Hey boys, hungry?”

Kyle was the first of the two to look up at their aunt, “You bet. Can you make us burgers?”

Henry soon chimed in with his twin, “Yeah Aunt Del, please?”

Adele looked at the identical ten year olds before her, “Only because your my favorite set of twins in the world.”

“Aunt Del,” Kyle said, rolling his eyes, “We're the only set of twins you know!”

She laughed and began walking towards the kitchen. Remembering Evgeni was probably on his way by now, Adele turned and smiled, “Oh, and boys? Be on your best behavior tonight, I have a friend of mine coming over.”

The boys began chatting animately as they followed their aunt. Kyle sat on the right end of the island, his brother to the left. They were the striking image of their father. While Kyle was a replica of Andrew on all levels, Henry had his mother's personality, kind, compassionate, and sweet. Adele tossed four patties on the stove, making one for Evgeni, just in case. The sounds and scents of the meat cooking filled the small kitchen. Adele flipped them over to began cooking the other side as the door bell rang.

“Boys,” Adele instructed as she stood before the small mirror beside the apartment door, checking over her outfit, “watch the burgers for a second.”

Kyle jumped up from his seat and stood by the stove, eying the meat. Adele took a deep breathe and opened the door. There, standing before her, was Evgeni Malkin, the man she loved, lost, and wanted back. It seemed like each day apart, he became more and more handsome. A deep blush was set into her cheeks as he pulled her into a smothering hug.

“Glad you called.” he mumbled into Adele's ear.

Stepping back, Evgeni looked Adele up and down. She had gotten even more beautiful than the last time he last saw her, if that was even possible. “I'm glad you were able to come over.” Adele answered happily, “I made you a hamburger, I wasn't sure if you would be hungry or not.”

The Russian gave Adele a smile, her heart melting instantly. “Am always hungry, playing hockey makes big-” Adele giggled softly as Evgeni paused for a moment, looking for the right word, “appetite.”

After eating, Adele sent the boys to the living room, allowing them to purchase something off On Demand. Evgeni helped clean up the bare dishes after dinner, ignoring Adele's constant request to just sit and relax. He helped her put away the dishes in high places that she normally would have a hard time putting away. Adele leaned against the counter, smiling at Evgeni.

“I missed you.” she stated simply.

“I miss too.” he answered, “I break up with Oksana. Want to be with you.”

Adele sighed, “I don't know Evgeni... you broke my heart, don't you get that?”

Not caring whether Adele would take him back or not, Evgeni needed to get something off his chest, that had been tearing him to pieces during all their time apart. He had no idea if she felt the same, but just prayed that she did. All Evgeni knew was that he needed Adele Morrison in his life.

“I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it took forever to get this out.
work is killing me slowly.